Noticed few things about my newly received 811 replacement......

hzhao

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2004
This is my third 811 replacement! I got the replacement for that one due to poor OTA signal strength (most of time at 49%, as my other 811 is fine at 70% with same feed). Anyway, the replace one is working OK so far, OTA got 60% to 65%, I will live with that. The interesting that I noticed with this one are:

1) It recognized DPP44 right out of box, I was surprised about that. So, Dish must updated their inventory firmware. Software download session is rather quick, I figure it must be already at the later version.

2) I can add the OTA digital station even before I got the box authorized ! :) If I remember correctly, the box used to be authorized before the OTA would work...... So, technically, you could just just use the box as an OTA STB!

Just some little things that I noticed.

GaryPen said:
It only has to see a satellite (110? 119?) to use as an OTA reciver, IIRC. It doesn't have to be authorized.

Actually I don't think it needs to see the satellite. I've gotten OTA reception during heavy t'storms where I have lost the satellite signal. I'm guessing maybe it only has to be able to ping the switch....

No the satellite signal has to be there when you first start using it, If not the box will just keep trying to find a satellite, and you can't tune to any channels while it's doing that. If you loose the signal during a storm or something, then it will work, because you already have access to the guide etc...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)