Notre Dame wants catering employee to return $29,000 "tip"

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotMe546

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
The woman's share of the gratuity was $29, but an error caused her to get $29,000. She spent the money on bills and a new car, and now the university wants the money back. (South Bend Tribune)

She obviously knew it wasn't correct. If it goes to court she will lose. I wonder if they witheld taxes from this? She may get really screwed come tax time.

Precedent is pretty well set in cases like this - similar bank errors, etc. She owes the money back.

How is this similar to a bank error? If a bank puts 5000 in your account you know that 5000 shouldnt of been their.

How does the lady know Notre dam didnt want to give her a 29k tip? Its not like she added another 0 to the check to make it look bigger then it was. She cashed it as written.

So if I goto dennys leave a 10 can I come back the next day and so sorry I meant to leave a 5 can I get my money back? Thats ridiculous.

How is this similar to a bank error? If a bank puts 5000 in your account you know that 5000 shouldnt of been their.

How does the lady know Notre dam didnt want to give her a 29k tip? Its not like she added another 0 to the check to make it look bigger then it was. She cashed it as written.

So if I goto dennys leave a 10 can I come back the next day and so sorry I meant to leave a 5 can I get my money back? Thats ridiculous.
Good point.

Hardly. Pretty massive difference between a $5 difference and a 1,000 fold difference. Matter of being obvious. I dare say very few people receive $29,000 tips. It really is cut and dried. If it goes to court, she loses. This is established in many previous related cases. Not what we "think" - but what has been enforced in law.

Certainly. And they can repossess as much as possible and even go after her for fraud. I put my nickel on settlement.

and how do you figure the irs is getting ripped off here.since it wasnt a cash tip im assuming the girl recieved this tip in a paycheck therefore payroll taxes were takin so the greedy feds got there money already . and fyi the tax payers get screwed on everything everytime . the old saying holds true honesty is the quickest way to the poor house and not for nothing she notified them of the error and they did nothing . also according to the article she was fired for taking this tip after she told her supervisor and they said its ok so in simple terms she got screwed

Hardly. Pretty massive difference between a $5 difference and a 1,000 fold difference. Matter of being obvious. I dare say very few people receive $29,000 tips. It really is cut and dried. If it goes to court, she loses. This is established in many previous related cases. Not what we "think" - but what has been enforced in law.

Not sure what laws she broke. Id love to see some examples you speak of.

While morally she should of asked. But legally did she have to? Its not unheard of to hear stories of some stripper getting a several thousand dollar tip. Or some waitress in a diner getting huge tips. I mean its notre dame we are talking about. Its not like the lady got the tip from joe schmoe. She got it from someone she thought could afford it and was being generous and giving back. It'd be a drop in the bucket to them and she also assumed they are to smart to make a mistake it had to be real

Not sure what laws she broke. Id love to see some examples you speak of.

While morally she should of asked. But legally did she have to? Its not unheard of to hear stories of some stripper getting a several thousand dollar tip. Or some waitress in a diner getting huge tips. I mean its notre dame we are talking about. Its not like the lady got the tip from joe schmoe. She got it from someone she thought could afford it and was being generous and giving back. It'd be a drop in the bucket to them and she also assumed they are to smart to make a mistake it had to be real

If we're "assuming" here for her, I think she assumed -
"WOO-HOO!!!! They screwed up, I'd better spend this as soon as possible before they figure it out. Once it's gone, I won't have to pay it back!"

Who the hell assumes a $29,000 tip for catering/waitressing is real, especially from a large corporation? Gimme a break, what planet do you live on? Hookers don't even make that much..................

If we're "assuming" here for her, I think she assumed -
"WOO-HOO!!!! They screwed up, I'd better spend this as soon as possible before they figure it out. Once it's gone, I won't have to pay it back!"

Who the hell assumes a $29,000 tip for catering/waitressing is real, especially from a large corporation? Gimme a break, what planet do you live on? Hookers don't even make that much..................

I agree that it is very unrealistic that they would tip her such a large amount, but it isn't impossible.

The articles say she tried to contact the school more than once, and never received a response. How long would you sit on the check if your repeated phone calls kept going unanswered? I'm not condoning what she did, but I think she probably decided that if they couldn't even take the time to answer her calls, mistake or not, they obviously weren't very concerned with it. I do agree that morally it is wrong, but legally I'm not so sure....

A waitress here at our local Applebee's received a $10,000 tip from one of her regular customers. But it was legitimate, not a mistake.

My daughter is a bartender. She has received more than one $500 tip. Generally large group, long hours and big bar tab. She is also very aware that she is in the entertainment business.

She is currently working in Hollywood/Burbank. She says that $100 tips are not uncommon, especially when someone is trying to impress some movie exec. However, she also says that the overall tips are lower than she was getting in Colorado.

At any rate, said waitress worked long hours for big party. If they were high rollers, it might not have been totally out of line. She also tried to confirm, so I am not that outraged. She will probably lose due to the modern golden rule (He who has the gold, rules). If it were me, I guess I would have cached it where it would draw some interest.

You know, instead of spending so much time and effort trying to recover 29K that was clearly due to their mistake, perhaps the University should fire Coach Weis (who should currently be 1-2) and save themselves millions. Heck, I bet the Fighting Irish would save 29K in just one of the coach's visits to the all-you-can-eat buffet table. ;)

I agree that it is very unrealistic that they would tip her such a large amount, but it isn't impossible.

The articles say she tried to contact the school more than once, and never received a response. How long would you sit on the check if your repeated phone calls kept going unanswered? I'm not condoning what she did, but I think she probably decided that if they couldn't even take the time to answer her calls, mistake or not, they obviously weren't very concerned with it. I do agree that morally it is wrong, but legally I'm not so sure....

I cannot read the article, as I am not a paying subscriber, so I did not see that she attempted to contact the school, nonetheless, she should have sat on the money in a CD or something for awhile, as opposed to spending it all. I still think my assumption is more like the truth......:)

Did she check with her co-workers at the same event to see what they got tipped? if she provided some additional services for the entire party in the cloakroom that the others did not, maybe she deserved the 29k.

If Notre Dame was stupid enough to actually write a CHECK for that much then they should not be made to give it back to her. I mean who accidentily writes that much over the bill for a tip? Who?

If Notre Dame was stupid enough to actually write a CHECK for that much then they should not be made to give it back to her. I mean who accidentily writes that much over the bill for a tip? Who?
A computer.
I believe the check was automated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts