Notre Dame wants catering employee to return $29,000 "tip"

Status
Not open for further replies.
A computer.
I believe the check was automated.

I just LOVE it when someone blames a computer. It's like it was an act of God, something unpreventable and not the fault of the University.

Perhaps there should be some sort of check placed in the program that authorizes the check to have human intervention for something out of the ordinary. A $25k payroll check is out of the ordinary (unless you are the chancellor).

I mean "Frank - you get $125, Harry - you get $125, Jane - you get $25,000. Uhhh"

How hard could it be?

A simple phone call to verify the LARGE amount was correct could have been good enough. Yes, people get large tips but come on! I willing to wager she knew something was wrong and chose to spend the money anyway. Some of you say it was okay? The problem I have is I believe that just about anyone would at the very least suspect ,something was not right. Bank error or not it was an error and should at least been verified before spent. I am basing this on what I would consider common sense.

A simple phone call to verify the LARGE amount was correct could have been good enough. Yes, people get large tips but come on! I willing to wager she knew something was wrong and chose to spend the money anyway. Some of you say it was okay? The problem I have is I believe that just about anyone would at the very least suspect ,something was not right. Bank error or not it was an error and should at least been verified before spent. I am basing this on what I would consider common sense.

This seems to be approaching the SonicBabble level. Why do you feel the large corporation was honorable, and that the employee was a scam artist? The report said she did attempt to verify, but could not get calls returned.

No, I wouldn't have spent the money, but others are not as smart as you, and many are living on the edge so that they need every nickel that comes their way.

My daughter is a bartender. She has received more than one $500 tip. Generally large group, long hours and big bar tab. She is also very aware that she is in the entertainment business.

She is currently working in Hollywood/Burbank. She says that $100 tips are not uncommon, especially when someone is trying to impress some movie exec. However, she also says that the overall tips are lower than she was getting in Colorado.

At any rate, said waitress worked long hours for big party. If they were high rollers, it might not have been totally out of line. She also tried to confirm, so I am not that outraged. She will probably lose due to the modern golden rule (He who has the gold, rules). If it were me, I guess I would have cached it where it would draw some interest.

I've personally left over $2k in tip before. Of course I was paying for a large happy hour with a total bill of about $10k.

Somebody put that amount in there, maybe they should fire that person then. I can see putting in $290 instead of $29, but $29000???

Somebody put that amount in there, maybe they should fire that person then. I can see putting in $290 instead of $29, but $29000???

Actually from what I read in the articles, it appears someone left out a decimal. The actual check amount was I believe something like 29,387 but should have been 29.38. I agree with you though, that they should be looking more at the person that screwed up the check in the first place.

This seems to be approaching the SonicBabble level. Why do you feel the large corporation was honorable, and that the employee was a scam artist? The report said she did attempt to verify, but could not get calls returned.

No, I wouldn't have spent the money, but others are not as smart as you, and many are living on the edge so that they need every nickel that comes their way.

I agree with you. All of the fault should not be placed on the waitress. Someone at the Unversity made this mistake. Why is no one pointing fingers there? They can't say it was strictly a computer error. Someone has to feed the computer information before it prints a check. She tried to verify and was ignored. Like I said in a previous post, how long would anyone just sit on a check waiting for someone to finally decide to return your call?

I, personally, wouldn't have spent the money either, but then I'm not in the financial situation that this woman may be in. She tried to contact them, they ignored her, so she paid her bills and bought a car... I just don't think, legally, the University is owed anything back.

I agree with you. All of the fault should not be placed on the waitress. Someone at the Unversity made this mistake. Why is no one pointing fingers there? They can't say it was strictly a computer error. Someone has to feed the computer information before it prints a check. She tried to verify and was ignored. Like I said in a previous post, how long would anyone just sit on a check waiting for someone to finally decide to return your call?

I, personally, wouldn't have spent the money either, but then I'm not in the financial situation that this woman may be in. She tried to contact them, they ignored her, so she paid her bills and bought a car... I just don't think, legally, the University is owed anything back.

Paying bills - OK

Buying a car - Ignoring the possibility that it was a mistake

Having to pay the money back - Priceless

Paying bills - OK

Buying a car - Ignoring the possibility that it was a mistake

Having to pay the money back - Priceless

How long do you have to ignore though? I have no clue the time period between when the check was written and when she called and did not recieve a return call, but after a while....

Just saying, they may have a hard time making a case out of this IF she is telling the truth.

Sounds fishy for her. Sounds careless for them.

And legally is all that matters here.

I doubt any of us would agree that she was morally right. I would have made damn sure that they knew what they did. It does appear that she tried however.

Legally, what else could she do?

Ignore my attempts to get up with you, and ...well, she MAY be off the hook.

Has sky commented here? opinion?

If it is we can open a thread there. Suprised we have not yet:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts