Now BEV has done something else to 91W

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2005
After switching out satellites to screw over us with 82W, I had every channel on 91W (not that I wanted it) including a good signal on all the music channels.

I still have between 96 and 100 signal on about 25 channels (and virtually all of those are actually 98 or higher). But now all the sudden there are a half dozen or so transponders that have disappeared again (strangely enough, with very similar numbers to when they were using 2 birds at this location).

It seems to be affecting some of the Music Channels, some of the SD Movie Channels (both Movie Central and PPV).

I guess the big question I have is, where did they come up with another satellite to supply a half dozen transponders again - as that seems like the only reasonable answer to what this could be - but then again, I have not seen any news story of a license grant to move a bird to that orbital location.

Anyone have any insight as to what is going on?

HDTV
I know here in MN when they added Nimiq3, those TP's were really high. I just went through the signals on Nimiq1 and most are between 68-73 quality on the Fortec. Highest was TP7 at 83 but that has always been high

miguelaqui said:
It is NIMIQ 4i Did this just happen to you?

I know when they moved the other in place roughly 2 months ago, I could get all the transponders on 91....and did not have the holes I used to have in all the channels. For the first time, all the radio and music channels were there.

Quite frankly, that is the last time I bothered to tune to a 91W channel.

I wanted to scan through the music channels looking for something interesting to put on hold next week and found that i had lost the signal on some of the channels again.

I went through the Signal Strength in the setup for each transponder and noticed all were really hot (96-100...gennerally 98-100) except a half dozen or so that were MIA.

I am not missing as many as I was before.. and when they disappeared, I really don't know. But its a change from everything being available on 91W 6-8 weeks ago.

OK....here's the deal after actually looking at the BEV 91W transponders (something I never do!).

I have Movie Central on 841 and went to the SD Movie Central Channels to check on what was playing for some reason.....which again, I really never do...and boom - no signal on 91W T17.

Again, remember, this is on a T90 Toroidal....a .9M dish....not a 20" pizza pan or even a 30" dish.

Again, all these 91W transponders were all here 45 days ago when they moved the other bird.

Most transponders are blazingly hot - between 95-100.

However:

T17=0 (this has some of the SD Movie Central Channels)
T21=0
T23=0
T25=0

Then you have a few that aren't pegging the meter:

T03=55
T07=55
T09-51
T11=51

Now, one could look at that list and say "somethings wrong with your odd channels - the lnb is probably hosed".

Problem with that is:
T1=98
T13=97
T15=95
T19=93
T31=97

So anyone have clue what is going on with these birds at 82W and 91W?

They do not have beams that are adjustable on the fly.....so its literally impossible to change some of these transponders without affecting the others.

The logically explanation is there are 2 birds in each orbital location, but I have not heard that about both of these positions.

Anyone know anything?

Funny to see folks bitching about bell screwing them over when this service is meant for canadians.

Derwin0 said:
There are now 4 birds at each location.
82 = N2, N3
91 = N1, N4i

I think you mean 2 birds at each locations :D but you have been the first in this forum to confirm my suspicions that was the case as I had assumed it to be so for the last 60 days.

it's because of that "new" math my daughter is being taught in school, it has corrupted me :p
but yeah, 2 birds at each location, 4 total.

Just for kicks the other day I swung over to 91W and checked some signal strengths. Everything on that bird is till almost pegging the quality meter at 99%.

Must be a weird shaped beam to get excellent quality like that in my area.

maddawg said:
Funny to see folks bitching about bell screwing them over when this service is meant for canadians.

kinda like when the Canadians are bitching because Dish put up better spotbeams so people cant get Buffalo, Detroit, Boston, etc and some other channels :D

Iceberg said:
kinda like when the Canadians are bitching because Dish put up better spotbeams so people cant get Buffalo, Detroit, Boston, etc and some other channels :D
Yep...and I remember how folks were very emotional about that change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)