NOW I know why people cancel Dish Network - VERY VERY HORRIBLE service and screwups !

I've had Dish, DirecTV, Voom and Comcast over the past few years. I have yet to find a content provider that I would call excellent or great. They all have problems with equipment, installers, signal quality and CSRs. Horror stories about each abound on the net. Its almost like you pick your poison and take your chances. Sorry to hear about your problems with Dish but I have found that switching usually just leads to another problem be it sooner or later. My current problem with Dish is I need to put an OTA antenna up because of drop outs when there is hard rain and from what I read here the Dish receivers may or may not pick up the channels when scanned. Oh well.

Your demands of Dish to keep you as a customer were unreasonable. Businesses will generally do reasonable things to keep customers when a mistake as been made. Again, your demands were simply not reasonable. You can email the CEO, but if I were them I'd say, "Enjoy Rupert's programming."

Well point is if you have a major issue that needs to be address when you e-mail in most cases the issue gets fixed..

Well point is if you have a major issue that needs to be address when you e-mail in most cases the issue gets fixed..
To a point. Even the infamous ceo@echostar.com people have limits. When he said the cancel and got transferred, he was talking to people either in the same department or one step below. They have LOTS of leeway in what they can offer or do but they still have limits.

I've heard where they have offer customers in the past a free DVR or as much as three months of free programming or movies channels to stay with them and they were not cancelling because of issues they had. They offered me nothing at any time even after the issues I had and the fact that I pay in advance and have more programming than what the others were offered. Just made me feel not as much of a valued customer as the others. It has been a while since others have been offered that so maybe they quit offering people something to stay with them? Or are they waiting until someone cancels now before they offer people anything? I would rather have not had the issues to begin with. Oh well, I got things fixed and a month of programming credit for the hassle and all is well now. Next time I will try email route because it will be easier and I will not have to keep calling in to get the problems resolved. It was just too many things going wrong at once.

I would not have considered making that request if they would have made me a reasonable offer to keep their service to begin with but I was given no offer. I was not sure if that would have been considered such an unreasonable offer for someone that has had the service for so long and pays one year in advance every year for the service. I guess, in their eyes, they got me on the hook for one year paid in advance so they figure that they do not need to offer me much to keep the service since I stand to lose more than I am to gain.

Sorry for blabbing so much, just wanted to get it out in case someone out there thinks they are the only one that goes through this mess, they are not alone. I just felt that these many things to go wrong at once was very unacceptable. When there are no issues such as this, the service is great and I am very happy with it. I keep this in mind when I try to get these issues resolved. Thanks for the responses. I now know what may be considered unreasonable to them that maybe I asked for too much and that if I pay a year in advance they will probably know that your on the hook.

I think it depends on the installer as it varies from installer to installer more than it would from state to state.

Stargazer, I feel you pain, been there...done that. I will never use Dish CS again, I always choose Technical Support. I have had 4 claims under the $1.99 waranty, 2 within the last year, and I have never had to pay the $14.99 shipping fee or even ask that it be waived.

NightRyder

Even Technical Support is starting to go to crap. They made a lot of the screw ups. I just didn't expect this many screwups to happen all at once. It was like a never ending thing, one thing after another. They used to waive the fee without issues now they tell me that the $14.95 shipping fee applies every single time there is a claim. There was one person that told me earlier this year that it is always waived if you have autopay but now all of them are telling me that is not the case. Even the Tech Support is telling me that the $14.95 fee applies. They must have had made a change and only allow the fee to be waived if you have the $5.99 warranty. I suppose if a remote goes bad they will want to charge $14.95 shipping for that as well when you can get one off of ebay for even cheaper than that. I have to fight and argue with them to get them to waive the fee. They now always tell me "next time you WILL be charged this fee, we waive it only this time". Those fees did show up on the bill and then the credit was also applied for the $14.95

All of these little annoyances add up after a while. They nickel and dime you do death already on fees every month (DVR fee for each DVR which I think should only be one DVR fee per account if you pay for the receiver in whole, additional outlet fee even on the second tuner if you do not keep them hooked up to phone lines, HD enabling fee, etc etc) then on this shipping telling me that it is waived if I sign up for autopay so I did even though I pay annually and then they tell you otherwise later on.

i knew a guy who was so belligerent with them, called up and said he was recording the call, was paying good money for their service every month and was going to contact the attorney general with the recording if they didn't replace his old receivers.

he was so proud telling me about how they offered him a tradein to a leased box and in six months he could upgrade another one to a DVR. these were the exact same offers available at the time to "non-rude" customers thru dishin-it-up :)

Depending on your location, cable company may have much-much worse customer support, techs, and equipment, than Dish Network. I put Dish account on hold, while trying to figure out where to put a dish after I moved, and had been with "digital cable" for three months. It was not digital, at first, for the most popular channels ##1 - 100, box had no S-video port, and installer was a liar.
Bottom line: Dish sucks, but the others are worse

I think it all depends on what the situation is. Some people never have an issue with their satellites while others have all sorts of problems. Some problems you can fix on your own while others you have to depend on Dish Network to resolve the issue and that can sometimes become a task in itself. People do have more control when it comes to satellite because it can be fixed at the premises if you have the hardware and know how to fix it. Outages do not last very long at all with satellite as it could last for days with cable and you have to wait for them to fix it. Sometimes things go wrong whether you have cable or you have satellite. Things can go badly wrong no matter who your provider is.

stargazer, your a better man then me! no longer then you have to go i would have
eaten the next few month's and told them to stick it. you may have been able to make up those month's though a deal with directv,or cable. sometimes it's not all about the money

but as a former directv customer, i'm here to tell you that their customer service isn't any better. and, in spite, of what many here have said about retention, i had a problem with one of their representatives.

that's why i've been back to cable for over a year. if i have a problem, i have a specific person to call and everything is taken care of. yes, i'm not happy there aren't more hd choices. but the hd picture was much better than what i got with d* and probably better than anything i could get with dish network.

I have been with Dish Network for so long that I am used to it and would rather keep that than change but when they act like they act like they dont care and act like your time is worth nothing, it makes you think. I would think that Dish and Direct are fairly close in offerings and service but when someone goes through as many problems as that, you got to think that they cannot be any worse, and a chance that they would be better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)