Now that NBR (for the 5xx series) is settled..how about more HD!

ilaudio

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 5, 2003
It has been stated that SatelliteGuys influenced Dish to include NBR on some of the DVRs. Then let's push even harder for more HD!

Starz, Cinemax, The Movie Channel, Universal and Espn2 I think should be no brainers. Comcast includes the 1st 2, DirectV the last 2.....Dish None!

What do we need to do to sway Dish?????

First we need to get them to remove some of the shopping channels along with Bingo TV, remove 9900 (what is the point of this channel) remove some of the duplicated channels ( I don't mean both, just one will suffice) like 103, 500 and 450 and ? (what ever channel number the mirrored sports list channel is on). Then they will have a little bit more breathing room to add HD.
Though I want more HD, I can't agree with your list, ESPN HD is a total waste of bandwidth, most of the time when I want to watch something on ESPN I watch it on the SD channel because I cannot stand those stupid bars on the side of the picture. Granted there is some things that are widescreen, but the majority of things on ESPN HD (that I've seen) has those bars on the side, I'd rather watch a stretched screen than watch something in a box, I don't care how fancy they make those bars! ESPN 2 if anything would be worse than ESPN. Thats just my opinion.

Beyond that, well I'd be open to anything HD that is available and appealing to everyone. I guess good luck to Dish figuring out what everyone wants. Instead of specific channels I am looking at catagories, I want more selection for movies, it don't really bother me which movie channels, just as long as they are HD, don't have commericals, and don't cost a arm and leg to have. Some people want sports, others want the catagory that have things like the Eastenders:no on them (sitcoms, TV shows, things that I can watch on the WB, FOX, UPN, and etc...)! But in the end it should be something that everyone can get enjoyment out of. Not something that only certain people in certain areas will enjoy, not sports packages that only a few can afford, or want to pay for (yet takes up space, raises prices for everyone, and etc.). It should be something that is available to everyone, and affordable. At least at first, later on more specific genre's can be added, but at first it should be something that everyone can enjoy. (of course those willing to pay for HD equipment)

And of course I don't have a problem with ESPN, it is just right now they don't have alot of true HD widescreen programms on. Neither does TNTHD, and if there was ever a mistake in adding HD channels TNT was it, and Bravo, I would imagine wouldn't be any better. And of course we could nit pick every channel, and never add any of them, it is just ESPN's use of those dumb bars tick me off. Like I said I'd rather watch something that fills my screen, and doesn't have bars on it at all, than to watch something that doesn't have distortions because of being stretched.

Uhh, NBR is settled? Is everybody that was expecting it going to get it? What about my (and a few other's) 721? Not threadcrapping, but it's not over 'till the fat lady sings - via a name-based timer on my 721 ;)

OK, back on topic. How about a poll or 2 for the HD offerings?

Dave

DRGingras said:
Uhh, NBR is settled? Is everybody that was expecting it going to get it? What about my (and a few other's) 721? Not threadcrapping, but it's not over 'till the fat lady sings - via a name-based timer on my 721 ;)

OK, back on topic. How about a poll or 2 for the HD offerings?

Dave

Ditto that, Dish still has others to follow thru on....721s

ilaudio said:
It has been stated that SatelliteGuys influenced Dish to include NBR on some of the DVRs. Then let's push even harder for more HD!

Starz, Cinemax, The Movie Channel, Universal and Espn2 I think should be no brainers. Comcast includes the 1st 2, DirectV the last 2.....Dish None!

What do we need to do to sway Dish?????
1. Tell them that it's okay to compress HD even more than they are (well, no, let's not).
2. Get them to take away TND-HD and HD Events and replace with something useful.
3. Push them to buy VOOM.
4. See if we can get them to push up that E*10 launch to next week.

Unfortunately many are missing my point of the thread. It wasn't NBR. It was stemming from Scott's statement that SatelliteGuys made an influence to add NBR. Can we ude that same influence to effect programming...specifically more HD.

Unfortunately, HD is still not popular in most peoples eyes. If CSI is on, I find my wife tuned to 243 or something watching a washed out picture rather than flipping to OTA local for some awesome video in HD. Once we get it there, she is like wow, but it isn't on her list of priorities. Our local CBS staion is about the same. I have to call them and let them know their digital signal is down, it will go 2-3 days before it's going at times, they act like it's no big deal. So until HD catches on like DVD's, or a least a faster pace, seems like Dish and others are in no hurry as well, those of us on the HD band wagon will just have to wait. Seems to me it's it a two part problem, lack of interest and lack of marketing or push for those offering or able to offer content.

As far as TNT, most of the stuff they are pushing is crap, replace them with something decent in HD. The voice/picture problem still exists too.

Dish should be a leader in this area, if it's availble in HD, we should be able to get it.

sprintcarcrazy said:
So until HD catches on like DVD's, or a least a faster pace, seems like Dish and others are in no hurry as well, those of us on the HD band wagon will just have to wait. Seems to me it's it a two part problem, lack of interest and lack of marketing or push for those offering or able to offer content.

It is starting to get critical mass now. Try and go to Fry's Electronics, or Good Guys, or even Circuit City and see if you can find a 4x3 TV anymore. They only sell wide screen now.

yeah but thats the TV end of things, there still isn't that much of a push on the content side. Perhaps a few more years.

If you think about DVD's caught on quicker than CD's did. So maybe HD will too. One problem I see though, they need to come up with a standard, either it be 720P, 1080i, or 1080P, they need a specific standard for TV's and content alike. My bet would be 1080P, which has all the benifits of 720P, with the lines of 1080i!! But how far are we from having affordable TV's that can do 1080P?

tonyp56 said:
yeah but thats the TV end of things, there still isn't that much of a push on the content side. Perhaps a few more years.

The increasing number of HDTVs will create a demand on the content side. There is a whole lot more content than just two years ago. I will increase.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts