Now's a good time to try AO-51

Status
Please reply by conversation.

VO1ONE

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
For one full week, AO-51 is in high power mode until March 13th at 0000Z. There have been reports of people hearing the satellite down to as low as 5 degrees with just a quarter wave antenna. It might be a good time to just give a listen for it. If you don't have a licence, try it on your scanner if you have an outdoor antenna. The frequency is 435.3 MHz +/- 10kHz. Uplink is on 145.92 with a PL of 67Hz. A popular way of doing it is setting up 5 memory channels in your radio like so:

435.310 - Beginning of a high elevation pass
435.305 - about a third of the way through
435.300 - halfway point
435.295 - about two thirds of the way through
435.290 - End of a high elevation pass

Personally, I set my radio to 5kHz steps and just rotate the knob when I hear the signal starting to get distorted. If memory channels make it easier for you then all the better. Plus, if you are using just one dualband radio you can set up the same transmit frequencies in all of those memory locations. The uplink doesn't need to be adjusted for doppler because at 2m frequencies, the amount of doppler is only 3kHz and the FM capture effect will correct this amount. Besides, most 2m radios don't tune to lower resolutions than 5kHz but if yours does, feel free to program your memories accordingly.

It doesn't take much power to get into the satellite, even with an omni. I use 1 watt typically into a 3 element beam, which is still equivalent to less than 5 watts into an omni.

LISTEN FIRST BEFORE TRANSMITTING! Otherwise you will create QRM for people who can hear the satellite. AO-51 transmits all of the time so you don't need to transmit to it to hear it. If no one is talking, there will still be a carrier. Once you can hear this carrier, go ahead and transmit.

Satellite operators exchange grid squares, so know your grid square (just the first 4 characters are fine, unless you're talking to Europe, they like to use all 6) If no one is talking at all, say, CQ Satellite (your callsign)
If there have been people talking lately just throw out your callsign and perhaps your grid too. I'd do it all in phonetics but it's not necessary. I find it helps. You'll have people calling you back or feel free to call someone else you've heard. Exchange grids or if it's not too busy exchange names, QTH's, WX reports, etc. I wouldn't go having a 5 minute QSO with someone though on any FM sat, especially on AO-51 in high power mode unless you want to make some people mad. Only on very late night passes where it is mostly ocean and no one is on, and you leave long pauses, then perhaps it's okay. Another no-no would be to call CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ DX CQ DX CQ this is (callsign) (callsign) (callsign) from (grid)(grid) standing by for any call, QRZ QRZ? This again would make many people angry and yes, it's happened before. Don't call stations for several minutes who are no longer in the footprint of the satellite. Don't go "Hola Hola Hola" to test your transmitter. I know it all seems quite common sense, but I just thought I'd put it out there just in case! I think that about covers it! :)

Have fun and 73,
Mark VO1ONE

Thanks Mark...........ke4est......73

ke4est said:
Thanks Mark...........ke4est......73

No problem. Did you give it a shot?

AO-51 took a little more power to get into than usual due to the sheer amount of stations trying to get into it over the past week. It was evident a lot more people than usual could hear the satellite and were trying to work it. My little 2.5 watts at times had problems keeping from getting trampled over by the QRM! But, I've made some contacts with stations I wouldn't have otherwise. Stations using just their regular setups with verticals used to work their local FM repeaters. Just off the top of my head, there were stations like that which I've worked who were located in Massachusetts, Italy, Belgium and Denmark, first time satellite operators. There was a ham in Northern Ontario working from EO31, a pretty rare grid handing out contacts all week. It was a lot of fun, but it is time for this mode to come to an end.

AO-51 is now in V/S mode for this week - 2 meters up, 2.4GHz down. I've made 6 contacts so far with this mode. This is the first time I've tried it since buying the downconverter for $1 on eBay! The shipping was more expensive than the downconverter. Without any modifications and a quick homebrew bias tee, I was able to hold the downconverter (which has a built in internal dipole antenna) and its metal corner reflector flange into the air, point it at the satellite and get an S5 signal from it on my 70cm HT! It'll be fun experimenting with it all this week.

AO-51 will switch to L/S mode for 3 days beginning next Monday, Feb. 20th, and back to normal V/U voice and packets ops on Thursday, Feb. 23rd.

Mark VO1ONE

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)