NTSB released it's recommendation on cell phone use while driving today.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.
Going back on topic this is just a reccomendation. It does not have the force of law. I am pretty confident that state legistlatures will not do an outright ban of electronic devices in a car, much less a complete cell phone ban. The ability to talk on a cell phone is just viewed as too important by too many people. Texting has been banned by a few states, I would suggest those bans were able to happen because texting is viewed as an unsafe activity that has been limited to "young irresponsible" drivers and the majority of voting age people never text much while driving.

mike123abc said:
Going back on topic this is just a reccomendation. It does not have the force of law. I am pretty confident that state legistlatures will not do an outright ban of electronic devices in a car, much less a complete cell phone ban. The ability to talk on a cell phone is just viewed as too important by too many people. Texting has been banned by a few states, I would suggest those bans were able to happen because texting is viewed as an unsafe activity that has been limited to "young irresponsible" drivers and the majority of voting age people never text much while driving.

The only way this could happen is if Congress mandates it and ties it to federal funding., like was done with the drinking age or speed limit. You want Federal highway dollars, you pass the law. And even then states would be free to make their own decision, although the coercive nature of the threatened loss of fed $ is a powerful motivator.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Here in Ct Cell phone usage with a non hands free phone has been illegal for a over a year now and i have no problem with that.The only bad part about this is that people like to break some driving laws! i would bet that many people who drive go over the speed limit on a daily basis.And with the cell phone some have stopped using a non hands free phone while driving but many still use it (I see it every day i use my car)and unfortunately spending more time worrying about getting caught causing a greater safety risk.I have said my peace on this and will say no more.

Last edited:
The only way this could happen is if Congress mandates it and ties it to federal funding., like was done with the drinking age or speed limit. You want Federal highway dollars, you pass the law. And even then states would be free to make their own decision, although the coercive nature of the threatened loss of fed $ is a powerful motivator.

I would also venture that talking on a cell phone while driving is just too popular with the voters that Congress would not pass a ban on it. Sure the voters know that doing nothing but driving, with both hands on the wheel with no distractions and being well rested is best. But, they will still demand the ability to drive under other circumstances.

I would also venture that talking on a cell phone while driving is just too popular with the voters that Congress would not pass a ban on it. Sure the voters know that doing nothing but driving, with both hands on the wheel with no distractions and being well rested is best. But, they will still demand the ability to drive under other circumstances.

Not arguing that they would or would not do it, just explaining the most likely - based on historical practice - way they would do it. Discussions of political will to do so is for Sonic and other fora. :)

Which is my main issue with it.

http://www.sonicbabble.com/forums/s...hands-free-while-driving.&p=101179#post101179

Last edited:
Nicholas E. Burger, Daniel T. Kaney and Bo Yuz

November 2011

Abstract

On July 1st, 2008, California enacted a ban on hand-held cell phone use while driving. Using California Highway Patrol panel accident data for California freeways from January 1st, 2008 to December 31st, 2008, we examine whether this policy reduced the number of accidents on California highways. To control for unobserved time-varying effects that could be correlated with the ban, we use high-frequency data and a regression discontinuity design. We nd no evidence that the ban on hand-held cell phone use led to a reduction in trac accidents.

http://inside.mines.edu/~dkaffine/CELLACCIDENTS.pdf

I have decided that this thread has served its purpose, and will require far more moderation to continue it than it is worth. There is a recommendation from an agency on the issue, the discussion of it has shown that it too easily goes beyond the rules of our site. There are other venues to discuss it.

Topic closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.