Number of coax cables

NIdaho

Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
North Idaho
OK I have been a Dish Subscriber since the early days (started with a model 2000 receiver), and am thinking about finally upgrading to HD. (currently I have a 508 DVR receiver with a Dish 500 dish)

My understanding is that I will need either a new Dish 1000.X or a second dish pointed at 129. Which is the best way to go 1 dish or 2?

Next Question is: How many coax cables do I need from the dish to the receiver? Is more than one required? The reason that I ask this is that I have the dish mounted on a shed so it can "shoot" over the house, and the RG-6 is inside a PVC conduit buried in the yard and under the sidewalk from the house to the shed. Will I need to upgrade this run to 2 RG-6s (if I can?). WHat if I can't easily get a second coax?

Thanks

I would go with a single 1000.2 dish instead of adding the second dish. With the new dishes you only need one cable to supply a dual tuner receiver, so you shouldn't have to add a second coax.

Depends on your situation. If you point another dish at 129 then it will help you get better signal strength since one particular dish would be dedicated to that orbital location. Also, if you have issues with trees at one location but not another then some people have another dish put up for 129 itself.

A Dish 1000 or Dish 1000.2 would allow you to use only one dish to receiver 110/119/129

You only need one coax cable from the dish to the receiver.

But considering the 1000.2 has the integrated switch, if you are going to BURY cable bury 3 of them. With one cable you will only be able to use one receiver. With 2 cables, two receivers, etc.

Unless you cascade real expensive and complex switches later on, I'd run all 3 now that it's cheap.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I am good with the single run of RG-6 for now.

Right now we only plan on the one receiver/DVR (probably a 722 to replace the current 508). I had looked at a picture of the back panel of a 722 and it has 2 satellite inputs.

My issue is that the cable/conduit is already in the yard and under the beds/sidewalk, and I really didn't want to have to tear up the yard to redo it.

Stargazer, are you saying I would get better signal levels using a second dedicated dish for the 129 along with the Dish 500 (110 & 119) instead of the combined single dish?

Separator

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I am good with the single run of RG-6 for now.

Right now we only plan on the one receiver/DVR (probably a 722 to replace the current 508). I had looked at a picture of the back panel of a 722 and it has 2 satellite inputs.

My issue is that the cable/conduit is already in the yard and under the beds/sidewalk, and I really didn't want to have to tear up the yard to redo it.

Stargazer, are you saying I would get better signal levels using a second dedicated dish for the 129 along with the Dish 500 (110 & 119) instead of the combined single dish?

The 2 sat inputs will be split with a separator just before the DVR. With a switch at the dishes (if there are 2) there will be no need for another cable to be run to the house.

dish0346wm.jpg
dish0346wm.jpg

NIdaho: whatchel1 is referring to this piece. Coax from dish goes to the input then 2 smaller pieces of coax go to each input on the receiver. Make sure to match input 1 on the seperator to input 1 on the receiver, same goes for input 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)