time to say goodbye to AbsoluteHD???

tornadog

Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
I have been absolutely enjoying Absolutehd, and was being quite pleased as new channels were being added. But now I really must make a decision since SpeedHD and FXHD are not available on Absolute. Should I pony up and spend the 70 pm for these 2 channels, over the 35 I am paying now? I have been wrestling with this decision for over a month, and cant seem to reach a conclusion. Talking to my better half hasnt been much help either as she is least bit interested in either of these channels. So I decided to get some guy-guy advice from the good folks here.

I had the Turbo Gold HD for a couple of months but missed SpeedHD. I switched to the 200 package with HD and since the Platinums are now included in the $10 HD charge, I'm paying about $12 more each month, but get SpeedHD and several other HDs that weren't in the turbo package. And with Versus being free for a few months, I get it also despite only having the 200 channel package. Worth it to me.
Miner

It's up to you...is Speed and FX really worth the extra $35 per month. I wouldn't pay 35 cents for those two channels, but it all boils down to how much you value those channels. To be honest, I would opt for another provider since the quality of Dish HD is marginal, at best.

In the same boat, but can't justify it (or convince the MRS to do it) just to get Speed, FX, Big Ten Net, and VH1 (the other missing HD channels don't bug me: MTV, Nick, BET, Fox News, and msnbc). NOW, when we are talking about adding HD Versions of BBC-America, G4, TCM, AMC, IFC, ESNPU, ID, etc.; then will have to revisit leaving absolute.

I'm not on Absolute, but am on the Turbo HD Bronze which is pretty cheap. I went up to the classic silver plus HD just last Sunday. By the end of the week I realized I wasn't watching enough of the extra channels to justify the extra cost. I switched back Friday. Now if they do add BBCA HD, G4HD, AMC HD and a few others the extra cost might become worth it. Maybe.

For me it's BBCA-HD that will be the turning point. When it shows up then I will have to look seriously to leaving Absolute HD. I would like to see TCM HD added as well. AMC-HD is to full of commercials for me to care about it.

I have Absolute, locals, HBO, Starz and the .01 Max for $70.
Have thought about dropping HBO and Starz to save $22.

We get .01 cinemax deal...pointless not to. But Netflix with their instant streaming has much more to offer for less than the movie channels for us.

No channels have been added that are important enough to me.... The other way to look at it is, "you can't miss what you don't have".

$42 after taxes and DVR fees a month is perfect for me.

Same here. I would add my two RSN's for $10 or $20/month; however, they are not available with HD Ab at any price. And I won't pay $44 more per month to get these channels, plus a few more that I really don't care about.

If I didn't have HD Absolute (which is a great deal!), I would be looking elsewhere fo a new provider where I could get the MLB channel and more HD in the CI package. I almost moved over to D* because they have the MLB channel and MSG in HD for the CI package, but they have dropped Versus and I need that for hockey.

So, for the time being, I am enjoying all the money I am saving while I am 90% satisfied with my service...

FX Online

If you have shows on FX you like or want to see you should check out FX ONline site and there are some show available for free that you can watch online,I know I dont like watching stuff on a computer but I honestly cant justify a 35 dollar increase for 2 channels ,I would do without.

dishHD Absolute - $29.99
HBO - $15.99
$45.98

$46.40 monthly after taxes (No commitment)

HBO really helps...................Like andyin137 I too can,t justify $35 increase for 2 channels....................good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)