time to say goodbye to AbsoluteHD???

When AbsoluteHD is gone....they can go ahead and cancel my account...paying $70+ for TV just isn't worth it to me.
:up

We have Absolute HD, locals and Cinemax for a penny = $43.60/mo. That's the max we will pay for TV. The only reason we sub to Dish is because we can't get OTA locals due to topography issues. If Dish drops Absolute HD we would drop to the absolute minimum Dish sub that provides locals and a decent DVR.

Talon Dancer

I just looked at the program list on BBCA (even if they are HD) and I won't be leaving Ab any time soon. They no longer have the Mystery Monday programs any more. None of the sci-fi is running either.

if you will get the channels you want go for it. and if the wife balks at the price. eat some pb&j twice a week instead of a burger for lunch. that will help offset the price hike per month.

If I was a Single Guy with no kids, HD Absolute would have been great.
They'd get over it..... And as I say, there's more important things in life than TV. That's not to say my 7-year old daughter doesn't ask me why I got rid of Nickelodean. Surprisingly, she's doing just fine without Spongebob. She does like iCarly and some others too, but Spongebob was reason enough to get rid of Nick.

I'm paying $82.84 a month for Absolute w/locals, HBO, Sho, Starz, Max/.01c and DHPP w/one 622 receiver. This would be around $115 - $130+ with most of the other packages, since I must have Tennis Channel (only avail in Gold/AEP).

The main channel I'd like to get that I currently don't get is MSNBC HD. Shame that MSNBC HD didnt launch in 2008 like they initially wanted to, because I'd probably be getting it in Absolute if it had.

Not sure what other channels that E* would have to launch in HD to bring me to a tipping point to switch from Absolute...I can't really think of any except maybe if they brought back Smithsonian and didn't give it back to us in Absolute. I don't expect that E* would give it back to us which would be total BS, but I def want it.

And since I'm a movie freak, I'm lucky in that I've been getting any new HD movie premiums while remaining in Absolute.

They'd get over it..... And as I say, there's more important things in life than TV. That's not to say my 7-year old daughter doesn't ask me why I got rid of Nickelodean. Surprisingly, she's doing just fine without Spongebob. She does like iCarly and some others too, but Spongebob was reason enough to get rid of Nick.
True. But I don't want to piss the kids off which in turn will piss the wife off, That will result in me not getting any sex, something that is worth every penny of the top 250 pack.:D

I bit the bullet and dropped AbsoluteHD after one year. It was great having a $50 bill each month, but in the end, I missed having a "normal" package. The inability to add the RedZone Channel to the package was pretty much the icing on the cake.

I wasn't in a contract for some years now and got them to give me the 12 month new customer pricing and free HBO/Showtime for 3 months (already have Cinemax for 1¢).

After the discounts and such, my bill went up about $10/month until football season is over.. then it will be $5/month more. After the first year, I'll go back to paying what I was "pre-AbsoluteHD". It was fun while it lasted and I saved several hundred dollars in the process.

absolute plus locals plus showtime runs me 42.10 a month.

If dish was to change me for some reason, I would most likely give it up and just go with OTA and internet tv services.

My biggest problem with any of the broadcast channels is that you have to watch close to 30 minutes of commercials for 30 minutes of programing.

I think the main reason I am currently still with dish is because of the DVR. If it wasn't for that? There is nothing on any of them that would force me to be bombarded by Tampon, extense and pharmaceutical commercials.

If dish was to change me for some reason, I would most likely give it up and just go with OTA and internet tv services.

My biggest problem with any of the broadcast channels is that you have to watch close to 30 minutes of commercials for 30 minutes of programing.

I think the main reason I am currently still with dish is because of the DVR. If it wasn't for that? There is nothing on any of them that would force me to be bombarded by Tampon, extense and pharmaceutical commercials.

$42 with Showtime, Locals and DVR fee? How is that?

I have the exact same thing with a dvr fee and my bill is almost $54.00 per month?

My bill is $42 with locals and $.01/year Cinemax. Maybe he meant Cinemax rather than Showtime? You can't get the 3-month promo with HD Absolute:mad:
My bill for HD Absolute (the penny Cinemax is not shown) is:

dishHD Absolute With Locals 34.99
dishHD Absolute With - Adjustment -5.00 (I forget how long I get this)
dishHD Absolute With - Adjustment -10.00 (I get this for 1 year)
DISH Network DVR Service Fee 5.98
State/Local Tax (Sales/Gross Receipts) 0.87

Monthly bill: $26.84

I guess the OP could add Showtime and come out to around $42.