The Limitations Of Satellite Rears Its Ugly Head

slick1ru2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
The South
Finally get access to the NFL Red Zone channel and just about the entire second half of the broadcast is missed today due the record rains in Atlanta. A trade off I have to live with, I have yet to have a good cable experience in metro Atlanta. I have never loss satellite radio signal, but of course the data difference is huge. Cable was a continuing nightmare of bad picture on different channels. Just a post from frustration really. Sigh.

What kind of signals do you get without the rain? You might need a repoint. Even in the "wet" state I live in, I rarely get any drops of signal.

I almost never lose signal with Dish. It has to be monsooning for me to lose signal, and, if it is, the cable (and Internet) is out too. I have a 1000+ with a 500 wing dish for 61.5.

Ted

Another cause could be a loose cable connection. Never hurts to grab a couple of 7/16" box wrenches and make sure all your connections are tight inside and outside.

I had no problems watching Red Zone yesterday and the weather in my area east of Atlanta wasn't much better than what Atlanta was getting. I agree with those who say you should re-align your dish and check your cable connections. Rain will kill the signal, if it is extremely heavy, or what we call a "toad strangler" in these parts.

The closest weather station on wunderground.com to where I am, probably within 5 miles shows 18 inches since midnight Sat.

I had no problems watching Red Zone yesterday and the weather in my area east of Atlanta wasn't much better than what Atlanta was getting. I agree with those who say you should re-align your dish and check your cable connections. Rain will kill the signal, if it is extremely heavy, or what we call a "toad strangler" in these parts.

What I am seeing coming from the SW and going to the NE so I guess it depends on where you are to the east.

You should be more concerned that your dish and everything below it is going to be submerged in a few days. Maybe you can sign up to beta test the H2.0 dish.

I haven't had a rain-fade problem with Dish since the new satellite went on line at 129, and we had a very rainy spring and early to mid-summer. However, in these parts the problem is snow buildup. When the snow flies and the accumulation is greater than about 4 inches, I'm out with my pole broom cleaning off the dish every few hours. I looked at the dish heaters, but they are pricey and I'd have a problem getting them to a power source. I used to do the Pam on dish thing years ago, but it didn't help much and then your dish turns burnt yellow from the sun.