NYT: "Apple’s Spat With Google Is Getting Personal"

Apple does not want to see its new cash cow have competition. It will be interesting to see how this works out in the long run.

Some additional info on the topic:

New Google hire takes gloves off in Apple rivalry
2:43p ET March 15, 2010 (MarketWatch)

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) - While Google Inc.'s budding rivalry with Apple Inc. has largely been a tight-lipped affair managed through legal and regulatory channels, one of the Internet giant's newest hires is not being shy about airing grievances.

Tim Bray, a well-known software developer employed until recently at Sun Microsystems Inc., wrote on his personal Web site Monday that he has joined Mountain View, Calif.-based Google , while decrying Apple's "sterile" vision of the mobile phone software market.

"It's a sterile Disney-fied walled garden surrounded by sharp-toothed lawyers," Bray wrote of Apple's strategy for the popular iPhone. "I hate it."

Google has long been an important strategic partner for Apple , as a supplier of search, mapping and other services for the iPhone and other Apple products. The two companies once shared a board member in Arthur Levinson, and Google Chief Executive Eric Schmidt also sat on Apple's board until stepping down in August.

However, Google's own ambitions for the mobile phone market have caused the relationship to sour.

Apple recently filed a patent lawsuit against HTC Corp. , a prominent maker of phones that support Google's Android mobile software. The lawsuit is widely seen as an indirect attack on Google's business model, which relies on the use of open-source software to develop a variety of devices running Android - some of which resemble the iPhone in design and functionality.

In addition, Google and Apple have been at odds over the iPhone's exclusion of the Google Voice application - prompting an inquiry by the Federal Communications Commission.

"Apple apparently thinks you can have the benefits of the Internet while at the same time controlling what programs can be run and what parts of the stack can be accessed and what developers can say to each other," Bray wrote. "I think they're wrong and see this job as a chance to help prove it."

Bray wrote that Apple is now selling roughly 90,000 iPhones per day, while roughly 60,000 Android-based phones are being sold daily, making it a "horse race."

Bray's former employer, Sun, was acquired by Oracle Corp. earlier this year in a $7.4 billion merger. His official title at Google is "Developer Advocate," with a focus on Android, he wrote.

Bray noted that he doesn't intend for Google to vet anything on his blog before it publishes. However, he also wrote that Google saw an advanced draft of his post about Apple and the iPhone, "but didn't suggest any changes."

I remain neutral in this battle. I do believe that Google has been jabbing back pretty hard but Apple should not have been so cold to Google Voice.

The question I have is : Can Google fight two wars at once? Apple and China?

Can Google fight two wars at once? Apple and China?
I don't think it is war in China.
And even if it can be called like this, it must be over very soon...week to a month...

I was surprised Apple sued HTC (with Google being the target) shortly after Nokia.
That should be a good drain on Apple's coffers...

Diogen.

Some additional info on the topic:

I remain neutral in this battle. I do believe that Google has been jabbing back pretty hard but Apple should not have been so cold to Google Voice.

The question I have is : Can Google fight two wars at once? Apple and China?

That not a war with China, Google wasn't even the most popular browser in China before all that.

Google is still censoring their search in China according to latest reports today. The rep from China said they have received no direction to shut down from Google headquarters.
I guess they are still talking.

BTW I'm sure you're smart enough to know that I meant "war" as a figure of speech. :D Google at "cold war" with the world.

Google can't get involved ( to side with htc)as they are not a defendant, yet. They can only offer verbal support.

This suit won't affect Apple stock price any more than the price of credit for Greece. :^)

Now if htc or someone else sues Apple, then I'd watch closely. The big affect on Apple stock now will be the sales of ipads and news of health of Steve Jobs or who replaces Jerome York, board member who died today.

Google can't get involved ( to side with htc)as they are not a defendant, yet.
Well, it ain't that binary...:)
It all depends on how involved they want to be. They can start with filing an amicus curiae. And that would mean something.
If they really want to fight, they can just buy them: I believe HTC and LG are the biggest innovators in the handset market at the moment...

But that's theory. I agree that Google will most likely be on the sidelines, at least in the beginning...
I expect much more significant results (for the smartphone market) from the Nokia case.

I see all these lawsuits as being triggered by Google's attempt to separate the hardware and software.
It never worked in the computer business, being it PC or (especially!) Mac. Before it's too late Google wants to try it everywhere else.

That will have a significant effect on Apple/Microsoft revenue. And their expansion options.
This is why Apple and Microsoft are cozying up - they have the same business model: lock in and milk! Computer or phones!
This is the reason for Chrome browser and OS, Google TV, Android, unlocked Nexus One, etc.
Google search is just the finance arm of this enterprise...:)

Diogen.

Last edited:
I don't think it is war in China.
And even if it can be called like this, it must be over very soon...week to a month...
And a week later the decision to leave China search business has been made...
Google Stops Censoring in China - WSJ.com
Google Will Redirect China Users to Uncensored Site - NYTimes.com

At least one giant still has the guts to do the right thing (as opposed to the profitable one).
I don't think this would have happened were Brin 10 years older. I'm glad he isn't.

Diogen.

And a week later the decision to leave China search business has been made...
Google Stops Censoring in China - WSJ.com
Google Will Redirect China Users to Uncensored Site - NYTimes.com

At least one giant still has the guts to do the right thing (as opposed to the profitable one).
I don't think this would have happened were Brin 10 years older. I'm glad he isn't.

Diogen.

I was wondering what was going on today. Their stock was in saw tooth mode with a $10 delta. Was driving me nuts trying to follow a pattern.

I'll read your wsj links later. Thanks.

Did the same today. It was really spooking me. This China war is causing a major distraction in the stock's normal steady growth. But, I do understand that they need to do this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)