Not open for further replies.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Title says it all. Anyone sail on the Oasis of the Seas? Comments, please?

I saw a TV special the other night about this ship and it is the next one I want to go on.. but it is EXPENSIVE...

Everything on the ship however looks AMAZING.

I saw a TV special the other night about this ship and it is the next one I want to go on.. but it is EXPENSIVE...

Wife found an inside cabin, about a week, $749. Eastern Caribbean, I think.

We may have watched the same show on Dish- about construction, design, and replacing an indoor "hill" with a more see thru structure?

I'm pretty sure we'll go on a cruise, although not likely this year. Now we're wondering if picking the ship and choosing the itinerary from what is available for that ship, makes more sense than choosing an itinerary and then picking from which ships go there.

MiL just chimed in, hugely against a cheap room. She went on a cruise where the room was tiny tiny tiny, and the ship lost power. Their room was completely dark, the people across the hall had to open their doors so there would be enough light to get out of the room to the public areas. She said she wished they'd paid another $600 for a better room.

But generally people here seem to feel, especially for a first cruise, that an interior room is fine. Any additional comments on that? I really question what we'd get for another $600. And from my Navy days, I'll be carrying a small flashlight with me at all times.

...... but it is EXPENSIVE...

NOW I understand. Same cruise, basically, on another ship is as low as $349. Gotta wonder- is it a good idea to go so nice on a first cruise? But we've had such a horrible year, health wise.

We were looking at the 12/3 departure out of Ft. Lauderdale. Another site says it's 12/4. And the prices really do vary quite a bit, site to site.

Passports expire 12/20. Wondering if we mail them off now, will we get them back for sure before 12/1?

In any event, gotta wait a while- amongst other concerns, need to see if company is staying in business.

You will get passports back within 4 or 5 weeks regular processing. If you include your departure date on the paperwork you will get it back no problem.

BTW, the state department says that some places will deny entry on a passport that expires in less than 6 months (the length of the tourist visa). So go ahead and get the new passport now.

Thank you. That settles it.

Any difference in mailing it in, or taking it to those certain listed Post Offices?

And thanks to whoever fixed the typo in the title to this thread.

BTW, the time estimates are based on my recent experiences. I actually lost my passport a few years ago and didn't bother to get it replaced right away. Of course I did report the loss right away. On June 17, I went to the Post office (I had to because of the lost passport paperwork). On July 14 I had my new passport in the mailbox.

My mother sent her passport by mail for renewal a couple of days later and got her passport a week after I got mine.

It took me 3 weeks to get my passport.

I believe that on that ship EVERY room has a balcony. Some overlooking the sea while other overlooking the park and the walkway below. Never had power go out on any ship I have been on and I have been on 7 now but since every room has a balcony that wouldn't be an issue. :)

To be honest your not in your room much so get a room that fits you both anything more then that is gravy.

No, they don't all have balconies. Look at deck 7, for instance. We'd be up near the bow, assuming we stuck with one of the four lowest cost room classifications. But you made a good point about expensive. Really got to consider is it worth it/wise to go so fancy on a first cruise. Maybe "only" cruise.

She's getting hot on this again. Especially since she found some cooking classes on Celebrity. Can't make any decisions for at least a couple of weeks, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)