odd 110 trans only on some receivers???

williamknitter

Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Hi to everyone. First time posting.

Getting only odd trans on 110 with 811 receiver only. Not 311 or 322.

First let me tell you my equipement.
811 Rec, 322 Rec, 311 Rec, superdish 121. All coming off a dp34 switch.
I have the same problem I've read here but with a twist. I noticed the problem when my locals wouldn't come in. On my 811 I've been getting only odd transponders on 110. Locals are on evens. At first it was only during the day and the evens would come back at night. Now it's always only odds. I have read here about heat issues with some lnb's. And it's been hot. I've also had some issues with 119 doing the same, but not lately.
This only happens on the 811 strangely. Theres more. When doing the same switch test on the other 2 receivers the switch test comes up Ok on both. The Sys info comes out all greens for all outputs on the 311 but are X out on the 322. They both receive the locals. I do get a detail message after sys info on the 311 and 322 having to do with LNB drifting on 110 and 119. That I also read about here and means the 2 LNB's are taking a dump. OK.
The big question is why am I only having this issue on the 811? Not the 322. The 311 never show any problems at all.
The only thing I've really done is clean every connection on all cables because that was one of the things dish told me to do.
I have also swapped the 811 and 311 cables coming out of the dp34. No change.
Can I hopefully assume this is all because of the drifting lnb's and just need to replace them?

Two more differant questions if I haven't bored you yet.
1) Is a DP dish 500 big enough to use as a sepperate dish to pick up 129 or go with the 24" winegard I've read about here?
2) If I disconnect 2 of 3 lnb's on the superdish can it be succesfully used for getting 129? If so what LNb should stay connected?

Thanks to anyone who can help

(A)Does the problem follow the 811? Meaning physically move it to another outlet.

(B)Does the problem occur with the 311 at the 811 outlet location?

A=Bad reciever, though who cares August 15th 811 officially obsolete (MPEG4)
B=Bad line/connection

rcdallas
Thanks for the reply
I have not swapped receiver locations. Only swapped cables inputs into dp34. I guess swapping locations would tell if it would be a bad line. I get back to you on that.

rcdallas
Was going to try swaping the 811 and 311, but today for the first time in a week I'm not having transponder problems. The big dif today over others lately is that it is only about 70 degrees out and having light rain. Been hot (85-90) and humid for about 2 weeks and that's when I first noticed the problem. HMMMMMM???
I will still try swapping the receivers when the trans issue starts again. Got a feeling it's when the weather heats up.
Need more advice. Anyone???

I had a customer yesterday with a similar situation. 110 and 119 were coming up "odd" on the checkswitch....but his 311 was just fine. Before I arrived, he swapped receivers, and the problem followed the receiver. Ok, fine. It *sounded* like it was the receiver. For whatever reason, not sure why, but the oh-so-obvious didn't jive in my head. I remembered hearing how sensitive the 811's were to LNB failure. More so than any other receiver. With that thought nagging at the back of my head, I jumped up to his rooftop and swapped out his DP Twin with another. That seemed to clear the problem.

With your situation, it reminds me greatly of his. The heat and humidity has been bad lately. Not to mention the LNB had been up there for almost 4 years. Goofy as this may sound, I'd try t-shooting with the LNB 1st.

webbydude and highdefjeff
Thanks for info. webbydude, your suggestion doesn't some "goffy" at all. That's what I've been thinking and hoping all along. Although I do need to replace my 811 soon anyways I'd rather only pay the expence for the lbn for now. I made a typo in my origanal post. I said I had some issues with 119 doing the same as the 110, but not often. I ment 121. 121 doesn't matter anymore anyways.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but if anyone has a new or good shape used dp dual (what the 110 is on) there looking to sell, please feal free to message me. Part# on existing is 151019.

For near future 129 upgrading can any answer the other 2 questions I had on the bottom of my origanal post.
Thanks again

First let me tell you my equipement.
811 Rec, 322 Rec, 311 Rec, superdish 121. All coming off a dp34 switch.
I have the same problem I've read here but with a twist. I noticed the problem when my locals wouldn't come in. On my 811 I've been getting only odd transponders on 110. Locals are on evens. At first it was only during the day and the evens would come back at night. Now it's always only odds. I have read here about heat issues with some lnb's. And it's been hot. I've also had some issues with 119 doing the same, but not lately.
This only happens on the 811 strangely. Theres more. When doing the same switch test on the other 2 receivers the switch test comes up Ok on both. The Sys info comes out all greens for all outputs on the 311 but are X out on the 322. They both receive the locals. I do get a detail message after sys info on the 311 and 322 having to do with LNB drifting on 110 and 119. That I also read about here and means the 2 LNB's are taking a dump. OK.
The big question is why am I only having this issue on the 811? Not the 322. The 311 never show any problems at all.
The only thing I've really done is clean every connection on all cables because that was one of the things dish told me to do.
I have also swapped the 811 and 311 cables coming out of the dp34. No change.
Can I hopefully assume this is all because of the drifting lnb's and just need to replace them?

Two more differant questions if I haven't bored you yet.
1) Is a DP dish 500 big enough to use as a sepperate dish to pick up 129 or go with the 24" winegard I've read about here?
2) If I disconnect 2 of 3 lnb's on the superdish can it be succesfully used for getting 129? If so what LNb should stay connected?

Thanks to anyone who can help

1) 300 and 500 would both work for 129. I'd stick with Dish equipment.
2) Stick with #1.

Dish should include equipment and upgrade and I would still a "professional" handle it. If that's possible...

Happy HD Hunting!

Having the same problem. My 625 is losing even transponders on 119 every HOT day. We are having 100+ days recently. My 622 will lose the same transponders a lot less often, meaning it is more forgiving to the LNB signal.
After reading this thread, I came home to the missing transponders and decided to pour ICE water over the 119\118 LNB. 5min later the signal came back. When I have the time to dance with a CSR I will have the LNB replaced.

Purchased a new Dual LNB to replace the one that was giving me problems. 22 bucks new ebay. Installed it today and everythings working fine now.
Thanks to eveyone that help.

I had them ready to send me an LNB but they couldn't find the part# for the one that does 118.7 and 119. I opted for a $29 service call for Friday:( to make sure they don't send me the wrong one. I will fight the $29 dollars when it turns out to be the LNB that I paid $59 for not long ago. Until then a pitcher of ice water will do the trick, which I did right after I got off the phone with the CSR.
I wonder if they should add that to their troubleshooting script. :D

Dish can't activate my external storage until they close the work order that I have open for Friday. :mad:
I know DISH didn't build their billing\activation software themselves but jeez what a crappy system. Yea they said they could cancel the work order and reopen it, but couldn't guarantee the same time slot. Oh well I would rather have ALL the channels working with no way to archive than the other way around. :(

Hot Lnb

I have a service call for tomorrow (8/16). Have a 622 that works normally, but two 721's that have been losing channels off of 110 during the day, then all is normal at night.
I did much troubleshooting before making the call. The tech support gal seemed knowledgible enough, but didn't offer any theories as to the solution. It has been hot here (Atlanta area) for several weeks. The sun blares on my dish all day long.
I printed out a couple of the posts in this thread so I can show the tech when he comes. Maybe that will expidite his repair.
SateliteGuys is a valuable tool. Long may it live!

Tech just left after replacing LNB (I showed him this thread). So far so good, though it's ONLY 96 degrees outside right now...
90's was enough for mine to flake out the 625, mid 90's effected the 622 too.
My call is in for 12-5 tomorrow. I hope he comes earlier rather than later as I will be tempted to pour ice water on it if I am home flipping channels. ;)

90's was enough for mine to flake out the 625, mid 90's effected the 622 too.
My call is in for 12-5 tomorrow. I hope he comes earlier rather than later as I will be tempted to pour ice water on it if I am home flipping channels. ;)

Actually, later is probably better because you want the problem to exist while he's there, so he doesn't think you're crazy!

We had nothing but problems with the Superdishes. Our heat down here in the South was killing them. I was so happy the day came when they moved our locals back to 110 so we could go back to the Dish 500.. I swapped out LNB's on the Superdishes till I was blue in the face.. Had to go back to the same customers many times. I think the Superdish was flawed from the beginning. Something about the focus pumping too much heat back at the LNB's. I remember a simular situation with a certain brand fiberglass big dish that would literally cause the LNB to melt. Anyway I won't ever repair a Superdish any longer. I hated to have to tell the customer that his LNB was gone again and again.. I tell em now to point the water hose on the LNB and watch TV while they call Dish and try to get them out to repair it.. OR I will be out with a pretty new Dish 500 to replace it with for a charge (of course).. Most tell me to come on out (after they try the waterhose thing and see it work) but some Call Dish and try to convince them that the Dish is the problem.. And since Dish won't admit the Superdish is flawed, the customer most of the time gets p/o'd and either calls me to come fix it or calls me to come put them in DirecTV.. The bottom line here, is the Superdish is a DOG!!

During the past two weeks, I've been out on a lot od service calls for heat related lnb failures. The temps have reached from 100-105.

Last week, it was my own. My legacy quad was showing drop offs of 18V transponders at 119. So, I replaced it with both a DishPro plus twin, a DishPro twin and then a couple of legacy dual lnbs and two sw21's.

Surprisingly, the old duals and sw21's almost peg the signal meter. The others go only to the 80s and 90s.

Sometimes, simpler is better. The old stuff was something really trashy looking that I picked up from a long ago DirecTV conversion.

Those legacy LNBs and Equipment never quit.. In the immortal words of MR. Scott.. "The more you overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain". Those were the good ole days before Dish Poor and Dish Poor Plus..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts