Odd breakup of OTA channels on only one receiver

jcoppola

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Charleston, SC
I have been following the other OTA issues in the other threads and waited for U506 on my hopper 3 but still have issues with OTA breakups. This has been going on for over 4 months now.

I have a Hopper 3 in the home theater room, 4k Joey in the living room and a regular joey in the bedroom. I have the older single dongle tuner and a clear stream 2V antenna in the attack. Signal strength on most channels are 80 to 100%. If it matters I live about 20 miles south west of Charlotte.

On the Hopper 3 all the OTA channels work fine no issues, on the bedroom regular Joey no issues, on the 4K Joey only after about 10 seconds of viewing I get slight blocking which is watchable except that the audio cuts out every 2 seconds or so like clockwork making it unwatchable.

I have restarted, pulled the plug, pulled the dongle, rescanned for over a few months and no use still the same. Other than the OTA issue on the 4 Joey it otherwise works great.

Do any of the experts here have any ideas or things I could check? With OTA and satellite different frequencies could it be a splitter or a cable issue. Appreciate any help.

The Hopper is the only receiver in your system the Joeys are slaves to the Hopper. If the Hopper has no problems with OTA you probably have a wiring problem, maybe time for a service call.

The Hopper is the only receiver in your system the Joeys are slaves to the Hopper. If the Hopper has no problems with OTA you probably have a wiring problem, maybe time for a service call.

What kind of wiring problems would cause this? I have pretty much the same issue. The OTA channels play fine on my Hopper3, but the Joeys have pixelization and audio drop outs. The thing is, some days (rarely) they have played fine on the Joeys and then they don't. ????

Thought I was the only one. Again last night watching Star Trek on Heroes and Icons on hopper all great, moved down to living room and 4K Joey and blocking and audio drop outs.

I too would like to know what kind of wiring issue would cause this when all was good for over a year till a few months ago. I'd like to try and fix issue myself if possible.

I have the same problems with a 2.0 Joey and a Hopper 3. The Joey more often than not just pixelates or breaks up on the OTA channels. It doesn't do it always, so I haven't called support. It's extremely aggravating though and been happening the past couple months.

More postings of similar problem suggests DISH may have a problem. Don't sit on it call tech support and report it, the more they hear about it the better chance of a solution.

Reactions: pattykay
I also have a problem with OTA breakups and pixelates on my Joey2. The problem is not related to wiring but is related to how the Hopper3 software handles OTA. I also am using the old single tuner since it is more sensitive and runs cooler. If the problem was wiring or MOCA issues satellite channels would also exhibit breakups and pixelating issues. They do not.

Since your 4K Joey does not have problems with OTA channels I wonder if the Joey3 which will also use HEVC compression will solve the problem.

I also have a problem with OTA breakups and pixelates on my Joey2. The problem is not related to wiring but is related to how the Hopper3 software handles OTA. I also am using the old single tuner since it is more sensitive and runs cooler. If the problem was wiring or MOCA issues satellite channels would also exhibit breakups and pixelating issues. They do not.

Since your 4K Joey does not have problems with OTA channels I wonder if the Joey3 which will also use HEVC compression will solve the problem.
Were you replying to the OP? It is the other way around, only his 4K Joey has problems.

I have the same problem on the 4K joey. It was a problem when it first came out, and lasted almost a year. Then one day on a UI/Software upgrade poof, it went away! All was good for about a year, until again a UI/Software upgrade and poof, problem returned. It is NOT a wiring issue, it is a software issue on the 4K

Same issue here..... My two Hopper 3's (no 4K setup) handles the OTA channels without any problems..... But the Joey 2's connected to them started breaking up the OTA channels about 8 months ago..... Totally unwatchable, breakups and pixelations every few seconds..... The Joey 2's had been working fine with OTA before then, no problems whatsoever..... Then, boom, this garbage starts happening.....

I thought my set-up had been corrupted somewhere in the wiring so I have been troubleshooting this issue for months..... If I had not come here I would have never realized that I was not alone with this mess.... Thanks, DISH ! (sarcasm)

Reactions: dweber
You haven't been paying attention. This is a known, two thread, since August problem. However, with U507, the problem has been corrected for me.

Last edited:
Nor I, it turns out. All was good yesterday, today not so much.

What I have noticed is that the problem with OTA break-ups and pixelation on my Joey2 Receiver is intermittent. Occasionally it works well but then it messes up again. I have not observed a pattern yet. The OTA signal strength is 100% and the Hopper3 is not busy doing anything else.

As a former Automation Engineer I can tell you that intermittent bugs are extremely hard to fix.

What I have noticed is that the problem with OTA break-ups and pixelation on my Joey2 Receiver is intermittent. Occasionally it works well but then it messes up again. I have not observed a pattern yet. The OTA signal strength is 100% and the Hopper3 is not busy doing anything else.

As a former Automation Engineer I can tell you that intermittent bugs are extremely hard to fix.
Is your's a single or dual channel dongle?

Reactions: Cynamonek1996

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)