Odd HDMI issues with new home theater system.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
Just got a new sony surround sound receiver.

Hooked it all up, and the hdmi from dish was purple...

I thought "awe crap, the HDMI board in the Sony is bad".

So I reboot the Dish Hopper red button style.

Comes back perfect.

I shut the receiver and the Sony off, and turn it back on.

Purple!

Now..I also have a projector. The dish hopper receiver has no HDMI issues with it or my PC monitor. However it's not my Sony as my pc does not do it either when hooked up through it.

For some odd reason the Sony and Hopper don't play nice. Anyone had this issue? It goes away after a RBR, but it's a pain in the ass to have to do it every time.

Try changing sources on the A/V receiver. See if switching away from and back to the Dish receiver restores proper picture. That's a lot less of a pain than rebooting the receiver.

I found I had problems if I turned on the Dish receiver about a second after the A/V receiver was turned on. I don't remember what the issue was, sorry. Turning on the Dish receiver first cleared up the problem. All devices are controlled by a universal remote control so the time between A/V power and Dish power commands is very short. I could also have delayed the Dish receiver turn-on by 5-10 seconds to clear up the problem but didn't want the delay.

What TV are you using for normal viewing (where you see the purple screen)?

How are your components connected? Any HDMI splitters, etc???

Try some different cables too. When I got my new TV last year, I had to get rid of the redmere cables I was using.

Last edited:
Since this a issue with you Hopper, shouldn't this be move to the Hopper Zone subforum.

Anyway, sorry to hear your Sony home theater system is not playing nice with the Hopper.

Hope you figure out if it's your Hopper, home theater system or the HDMI cable that's causing the problem.

Agree w/PP who suggested changing what powers on first. It sounds like a handshaking issue. If you normally power on your Sony first then the Hopper, reverse it.

Here is what I've found out so far.

1. Brand New HDMI cables did not fix anything.
2. The hopper connected directly to my Monitor or my DLP Projector causes no issues.
3. My LG BluRay player connected to the Sony HT Receiver plays fine, no matter what gets turned on or off first. Cycling the HDMI output on and off with my Sony causes no issue. No matter what I do, I can't get my BR Player to have any issues. I know the movie I have has HDCP on it.
4. Once the Sony is powered off and back on, or HDMI is cycled on and off via the remote button, the picture turns pink-purple (HDCP issue) with the Hopper.
5. Unplugging the HDMI cable from the Hopper and plugging it back in has no effect.
6. Plugging the HDMI cable from the Hopper into a different HDMI input and switching to it has no effect.
7. Once the Hopper defaults to a pink-purple screen (note, not a solid color, and I know it's a HDCP issue), it stays that way.
8. Plugging the Hopper into my Projector or Monitor once it turns pink directly (not through the Sony) will not solve it.
9. After spending several hours tinkering, nothing with get rid of the pink screen unless the Hopper is rebooted.
10. Plugging my PC into the Sony causes no issues, nor can I replicate a pink screen.
11. A call to Dish and Sony only results in finger pointing with no real solution.

So there you have it. Hopper, PC and BR Player have no issues on a direct connection. BR Player and PC have no issues connected to Sony.

For some odd reason the Sony Receiver and Hopper don't want to handshake correctly, and after pulling an all-nighter spending 11.5 hours researching it, there seems to be zero ways to fix it.

Does the Sony TV have the ability to get a software upgrade? I had issues getting a Sony TV to behave with my computer plugged into it (via HDMI). My computer works fine with several other devices (including TV) with HDMI... except for the Sony TV. ..never got it to work but hope maybe an update will solve your problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)