Odd Wally Behavior

jpmarto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
E. of Seattle
I'm at a campsite, (been here often and know where 110/119 is) and I set up my Wally and Playmaker antenna. I get a "no satellites found" message. Ok, maybe it was the adjacent large RV south of me, but after moving antenna 4 times, including on my trailer roof, I keep getting "no satellites found". I've had enough trouble with Dish hardware before that I know to do a power-off reboot before each attempt. After the last time, I press Home three times, then got to Dish and see it's locked on to 110 and 119 with good signal strength. It will not let me go to Guide. I try DVR and it tells me "not at this time". 10 minutes pass, I'm not sure if I did anything and the Wally starts receiving channels normally.

I've had this setup for 3 years - this can't be normal, can it? Any thoughts/advice please...

Last edited:
When you first plug it in does it go through the check switch automatically? As in, does it detect the playmaker. If so when you first plug it in can you hear the dish inside moving and if so does it sound deep like it's moving under load or does it sound high and fast like there's no load. Could be a broken belt.

Reactions: charlesrshell
First few times the sat went through check switch (full green bar filled to right end) but then before "acquiring signal" it went to full screen about no satellites and check for obstructions. I could hear antenna working normally, especially when I had it on roof of trailer. I usually bring a voltmeter with me to check for DC voltage at the antenna as I've always have had problems with crimped "F" connectors. Connectivity from Wally to Playmaker was tested good using Klein connectivity tester and Fluke voltmeter. Crazy thing is, while the "no satellites / check for obstructions screen was active, the "Dish" screen was showing two satellites locked. Wally software version is W573.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Newest H3 software.