Off center picture with Time Warner HD DVR

Mad4Sax2

Original poster
Mar 18, 2006
I just purchased an HD TV (Philips 37" widescreen LCD) and upgraded to the Time Warner Cable HD DVR, model Satellite Atlanta Explorer 8300HD.

While watching any channel, low-def or hi-def, the picture is slightly off center by about 2-3 inches to the left. The DVR menu is also off center in the same way. I believe it is the DVR that is causing the problem, not the TV, because while watching a DVD the picture is perfectly centered. The TV is connected to the DVR through an HDMI cable. I have tried all of the various video format and zoom settings on the TV and the DVR, and none of them center the picture.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and/or know how to fix it? I called Time Warner and they were unsure what the problem was. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Can you test by connecting the DVR to the connection you know to be working (the DVD connection)? I know some displays have separate internal service menu memory/setups for each connection; to control image position, over-scan, etc; I know my UltraVision does.

See if another connection works, if not then its more than likely the DVR.

If that fixes it, then you need to have your display calibrated, which I always recommend anyway.

Is this you?
http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/faqlist?ctn=37PF7320A/37&dct=FAQ&slg=AEN&scy=US

Last edited:
I have seen this problem a few times with some of my customers 8300's. try going to the second settings menu. I cant remember what the exact setting was but it gives you a choice of up convert 1 , up convert 2 etc. If that doesnt work i would just swap the box out. This only happens when using hdmi. Comp video wont do it.

I have an 8300 with Cox Cable San Diego, and I also experience the off centering (mine is shited slightly to the right, obscuring part of the network logo). I haven't noticed a difference using the different settings under "Picture Format" in the settings menu. I know the Dish 811 gives you the ability to adjust this problem, but the 8300 doesn't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts