OFF-THE-GRID

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

AcWxRadar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
40 miles NW of Omaha. Omaha?
I am just curious, folks. We dabble into a bit of everything technical and I know that there are a few members here who ARE already into living off-the-grid to at least some measure. Would anyone be interested in or support a full time forum for such discussions? Solar, wind, water etc. power?

I am pondering setting up my new cabin to be TOTALLY OFF THE GRID and I was hunting on the net for ideas and information. I stopped here to catch up on sat chat and the idea occurred to me that we could probably present an OFF-THE-GRID forum right here, if we desired. Any interest out there?

RADAR

Mike,

A note of thanks for reminding me - I had to renew my pub sub!

I think that a lot of folks would find this an interesting forum, if it were created. I have just begun my research and have learned some really cool tips. For instance, what is the best battery for solar systems? Not sure that the statement is totally accurate, but the reasoning made a lot of sense.... 6V deep cycle GOLF CART batteries - they are designed to run all day on the golf course carrying heavy-set guys around till they are nearly exhausted (the batteries) and then recharge overnight and do so repeatedly, day after day for years. A true solar system battery is designed for the same function, but the manufacturers are also extremely proud of their batteries and thus charge an exorbitant price for them. The six volt golf cart batteries are MUCH less expensive and come close to the same life expectancy. Another option would be to contact the telephone companies and ask if they are unloading any surplus batteries... Seems that if they purchase them, but don't install them within one year, they resell them at a very discounted price. It would be tips like these that would make for a very informative forum.

My nephews (including HEXFET who is a member here) have been dabbling with getting OFF THE GRID out at our cabins recently and they got me to thinking of doing the same. Therefore, I am just browsing the net and you tube for information and tips/tricks etc.

I am hoping that others would like to see a forum started for this technology, too. Then we could all have a dedicated place to share info and trade stories. I personally think that it fits right in with most of our mentalities and hobby-scope.

RADAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts