This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Office applications won’t start after installing July updates

rjruby

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
Nazareth, PA
Last week I got the following message on my PC running Windows 8 when I tried to start any Office 2013 application:
"An error occurred. We couldn't start your program. Please try starting it again. If it won't start, try repairing Office from ‘Programs and features’ in the Control Panel" which of course didn't fix the problem.

The message also had a link to the following Microsoft forum thread:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...stalling/346b1ba0-3ada-4a00-a45a-e1ca70efb1b4

I ended up removing all Office components and reinstalling Office 2013 and Visio 2013.

So far it is working OK but others who have done the same thing reported in the thread that the problem reappeared after some time.

Anyone else have this problem?

I can see where this problem could reap havoc in an organization that relies on Office applications to function.

Doesn't surprise me, Had that same 'symptom'with a variety of MS programs after updates. Usually had to remove them one at a time until you found the culprit. Then reinstall the ones that had,, and still have, no effect.
O another 'front':
Microsoft urges customers to uninstall 'Blue Screen of Death' update. The update, identified as MS14-045 in Microsoft's numbering. Computerworld

and Updates Causing IE Users Grief and Aggravation

Last edited:
Happened to me as well, but I did get it to repair without reinstalling.