My Surface Pro got bricked after doing the latest Windows update!

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I wanted to install a new video editing software to my Surface Pro today but needed to do the windows updates first.

As the final step of the update I had to reboot which is the norm for most updates. I came back a few minutes later and noticed the screen was black and the Surface Pro was cold to the touch. I tried to turn it on and it would not respond.

I did a little searching and found there is a way to force it to start in most cases.

1. Hold the start button down for 30 seconds and then push it normally. I did this and it didn't work.
2. Second method was to repeat Step one but this time wait for 10 seconds and then hold the volume up and the power button down for 15 seconds. During that period if you see the "SURFACE" flash, continue to hold the buttons for the full time. Wait 10 seconds and then push the start button.

After step 2 it worked. My battery wasn't low but if it is low and in the bricked state, the LED light on the charger won't light up either. If this is the case the instructions say to remove all accessories and put the charger on for 5 hours and see if the LED is flashing or on solid, then go to step 2 for booting.

Warning, this process is not to be used on a Surface Pro 2 or RT. It only works for Surface Pro 1 or 3.

If you run into an issue where the Surface Pro appears Dead as a door nail for any reason, the above may bring it back to life. BTW- the 3rd instruction if 1 and 2 fail is to send it back to Microsoft for repair. :(

So after this recovery, I successfully installed my new editing software and all is working great.

Yeah as long as Win8 on there it there should be plenty of recovery options to restore it sounds like it might have been a video card update in along with the Windows Updates.So it's always good to look at the optional updates and see what it's detecting on the device. I never install them it's best to use the drivers from ATI or Nvidia or Intel. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)