Linux Mint versus Ubuntu

Bodo Fenrirsson

On Vacation
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Grovetown,GA
I have been operating my computers(desktop & laptop) using Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca(Cinnamon) for a few months now. There was a learning curve from Mac OS,but I'm operating fine now. These has been a lot of trial & error having to reinstall Linux Mint every now & then. This past week I had to reinstall on my laptop & decided to try Ubuntu 15.04. Crap,I was so confused by Ubuntu,& not being able to find things on it,like an applications app or fold,no text editor,installing Google Chrome Beta(& Chromium too) & not being able to locate them afterwards. Installing Dropbox was a nightmare for this Luddite. I finally gave up & reinstalled Linux Mint. I had a few hiccups along the way,like trying to set-up Private Internet Access VPN(the directions for doing this on the "aptly named" PIA website disappeared). Anyway I'm back to using just Linux Mint. I tried to install both Linux Mint AND Ubuntu on my laptop,but the ability to partition the hard drive both is above my level of intelligence,expertise,knowledge,patience,etc.

Using Mint KDE and really like it.

After you install 1 version and boot up on a live CD of another.. it should give you the partition options.

I like Mint too. But it's been almost a year since I've touched it, as my new job requires so much of my time. And I've got to lay tile in the laundry room. I tried to get TheKrell to come over with his wife and sister to help, but he said something about being afraid they'd like the Hopper so much they'd ditch the outmoded stuff they've got....
:devilish

Well I finally got used to Ubuntu 15.04 & I'm exclusively using it on both my laptop & desktop. I tried out Linux Mint 17.1 KDE,& it was too much of a learning curve for me to operate,especially since I have Ubuntu broken in on my computers. To me,switching from Gnome/Unity to KDE is like switching from a Ford to a Chevy,with the steering wheel on the right hand side of the Chevy instead of the left. I've been working on documents with Linux Mint/Ubuntu & it's set up just right for me. I can't seem to duplicate that with KDE. I don't even know what my monitor resolution setting is on KDE(with Linux Mint). My desktop & laptop computers are set to the same resolution each,so that I can work on the same project back & forth. I need a third computer if I want to play around with KDE,just to see if it'll work for me.