No good software for SDR on linux

Using Ubuntu 20.04.3 daily and my opinion on Snaps is mixed. They are definitely large and run slow. Kdenlive snap for example allows you to have a newer version of that program than is currently offered in the distro (version 21 instead of 19). I installed both versions on one of our systems. The snap version loaded slowly and at some point stopped working altogether for me. The older distro version is still chugging along just fine. They may be an easy option for getting an older program no longer supported to run on your system or a newer version of a program but overall I do not like them.

snap is a little like docker lite.

The advantages of not using snap are that all of the associated libraries a program needs are maintained by the base Linux system update tools and the programs have access to the system's user preferences (i.e. dark mode) and environment variables.

snap is a little like docker lite.

The advantages of not using snap are that all of the associated libraries a program needs are maintained by the base Linux system update tools and the programs have access to the system's user preferences (i.e. dark mode) and environment variables.
That's is in itself, good enough a reason for me. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)