New Computer build 2015

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
It's that time again. :) I have come across some cash and need a computer upgrade. I'm thinking about an Intel LGA 2011.v3 board. I don't want to spend more than $4,000. Is anyone excited about some new Mobo? I've built a few ASUS boards but the last one(ROG Maximus III Formula) was a problem child. I see some new technologies have come out, M.2, Thunderbolt? Any thoughts?, must haves?

The more I research this the more I think I will wait a bit before launching into an expensive build right now. Windows 10 is coming and I want to see if it's a winner this time ;)

Reactions: navychop
Personally, I think speed improvements have been marginal for at least the last five years.

5 years seems about a 2x speed difference in CPU. Not like the old days where it seemed to double every year. But SSDs have really made a huge difference.

Wow that's funny. My 3 year old I5 also bit the dust today as well! Its either the motherboard or CPU, I thought at first it was the power supply but I tried two brand new PS units in and and nothing. And then I tested the old PS and it tested fine.

Tried a new video card. Nope.

Tried the memory in another pc and nope.

Unhooked all the hard drives... and nope.

It's dead jim. :(

It's that time again. :) I have come across some cash and need a computer upgrade. I'm thinking about an Intel LGA 2011.v3 board. I don't want to spend more than $4,000. Is anyone excited about some new Mobo? I've built a few ASUS boards but the last one(ROG Maximus III Formula) was a problem child. I see some new technologies have come out, M.2, Thunderbolt? Any thoughts?, must haves?

Just curious what kind of hardware you would put in a $4000 PC and what the purpose would be? Do you do some kind of rendering? I know they make graphics cards for professionals that are much more expensive than high end gaming cards but I'm not even sure what I would put in a $4000 build.

I just got a second GTX 970 to run in SLI with the one I've already been using on its own. I also ordered a new motherboard, i5-4690k, and stronger power supply so I have enough juice for 2 GPUs. I'm sticking with the 240GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 8GB of RAM, and Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler from my current build. That is pretty strong for a gaming build but it's not even close to half of what you're talking about

Again, mine is pretty much for gaming only. I know you can spend quite a bit more if you need something like a Quadro professional graphics card or several TBs of SSD storage.

Well I need a processor that won't be outdated in 4 years, so I'll start with a new 8-core Haswell E
core i7 5960x 1049.00
ASUS X99-deluxe LGA 2011.v3 400.00
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64g 1500.00
A couple of video cards and that $450 m.2 SSD and I'm over budget :(
And I still need to replace my PCI satellite receiver with a PCIe version.
I would like to include 8TB of data storage too. Maybe $5Gs ;)

Wow that's funny. My 3 year old I5 also bit the dust today as well! Its either the motherboard or CPU, I thought at first it was the power supply but I tried two brand new PS units in and and nothing. And then I tested the old PS and it tested fine.

Tried a new video card. Nope.

Tried the memory in another pc and nope.

Unhooked all the hard drives... and nope.

It's dead jim. :(
no BIOS alarms? or you don't have a speaker hooked up for the alarms?
does sound like a bad MB though

Well I need a processor that won't be outdated in 4 years, so I'll start with a new 8-core Haswell E
core i7 5960x 1049.00

Re-check your prices! They have actually dropped a bit...especially RAM.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($995.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($362.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($952.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung SM951 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($494.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2806.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-12 09:31 EDT-0400

no BIOS alarms? or you don't have a speaker hooked up for the alarms?
does sound like a bad MB though
Speaker was hooked up. Powerlight on the front blinks, but does not do anything else. Again tested with two brand new power supplies, new video card, new memory, only thing was left on there that wasn't new was the CPU and Motherboard. Cleared the cmos on the mother board, and you get nothing when you hit the power button.

core i7 5960x 1049.00

But do you actually do something that needs a $1000 CPU and 64GB of RAM or is building high spec PCs just a hobby? This isn't judgment from me. I don't even want to know how much money I have spent on gaming and that's clearly just a hobby for me. I'm just curious what a machine like that would be built for.

Again, my PC building knowledge is limited to gaming PCs and mid to low end general use PCs for friends and family. For my purposes, I have never seen a game list more than 8GB of RAM in its recommended system specs. I'm sure there is professional software that could make use of much more. Unless you have some professional software that wants more you could probably get the same performance from 16GB and be pretty future proofed for a long time.

I built a couple of the PCs in our office but they are used to run accounting software. Nothing that requires more than an i5 and 4-8GB of RAM.

The memory price I got from Newegg this morning. The memory you looked up is different :(
But I was rounding up on some things a little. I will of course do some pricing research when I actually get to the build.
One thing for sure, you can spend a lot of money on computers. Thanks for the PCpartpicker link.

But do you actually do something that needs a $1000 CPU and 64GB of RAM or is building high spec PCs just a hobby? This isn't judgment from me. I don't even want to know how much money I have spent on gaming and that's clearly just a hobby for me. I'm just curious what a machine like that would be built for.

Again, my PC building knowledge is limited to gaming PCs and mid to low end general use PCs for friends and family. For my purposes, I have never seen a game list more than 8GB of RAM in its recommended system specs. I'm sure there is professional software that could make use of much more. Unless you have some professional software that wants more you could probably get the same performance from 16GB and be pretty future proofed for a long time.

I built a couple of the PCs in our office but they are used to run accounting software. Nothing that requires more than an i5 and 4-8GB of RAM.
I do have a tendency to over-do-it when I build stuff :) But I do some video processing and the extras are definitely a noticed improvement in speed. Right now I have a LGA1156 core i7 2.8g clocked to 3.66g and 16g of DDR3 memory. Mainly multi-media HTPC use, but I'm starting to see some limitations with this setup now. I don't have SATA 3 or USB3.0 on this build either. It is 5 years old now if I remember right. I would like to upgrade some components but I essentially need a new Motherboard to start.

I do have a tendency to over-do-it when I build stuff :) But I do some video processing and the extras are definitely a noticed improvement in speed. Right now I have a LGA1156 core i7 2.8g clocked to 3.66g and 16g of DDR3 memory. Mainly multi-media HTPC use, but I'm starting to see some limitations with this setup now. I don't have SATA 3 or USB3.0 on this build either. It is 5 years old now if I remember right. I would like to upgrade some components but I essentially need a new Motherboard to start.

My guess is an i7-4790k at 4.1GHz with plenty of room for overclocking would get the job done. Those are currently going for $338.99 on Amazon.

Amazon product ASIN B00KPRWAX8
Switching to that CPU would also let you save some money on a Asus Z97 Deluxe motherboard. It still supports M.2, it's supposed to be a great overclocking board with tons of SATA and USB ports and it's probably still overkill but it's a cheaper socket than the one required for the i7-5960x

Amazon product ASIN B00K2MATCU
Pair that with 16GB of RAM, whichever storage options you want, and GPU of your choice and you will have a beastly (overkill HTPC) that should be plenty capable for other tasks and a nice upgrade from what you currently run. It will also come in at quite a discount from what you are considering.

Again, no judgement if you want to go with your original build. Just trying to give an alternative that would save you a lot of money and still be very powerful.

Switching to that CPU would also let you save some money on a Asus Z97 Deluxe motherboard. It still supports M.2, it's supposed to be a great overclocking board with tons of SATA and USB ports and it's probably still overkill but it's a cheaper socket than the one required for the i7-5960x

You can only get a PCI-e 3.0 4x M.2 on the X99 boards. You cut the speeds on the M.2 in half or more without the x4 port.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)