New Computer build 2015

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Thunderbolt for non-Mac types was never a thing and Apple is accelerating away from it. Look for USB-C to come into the spotlight.

I think new floor coverings may be a better investment.

Thunderbolt for non-Mac types was never a thing and Apple is accelerating away from it. Look for USB-C to come into the spotlight.
I would disagree. We have some high-end HP portable workstations (i.e., 17" notebooks) that came equipped with actual Thunderbolt ports. I was able to use an Apple Gigabit Ethernet Thunderbolt dongle on the HP as a test and it worked (but in typical Windows fashion, after we downloaded the driver for it). The notebook did have built-in Gigabit Ethernet so it wasn't really necessary, but it was more to prove the point.

I do agree with you about USB-C, however. With Intel's Thunderbolt 3 using the USB type-C connector, Apple (and anyone else) can keep the built-in Thunderbolt support in the Intel chip sets and support multiple peripheral interface technologies through a single connector. There are a ton of things that Thunderbolt (effectively PCI-e over a serial connection) can do that USB 3+ can't.

For 90% of the user base, USB is the answer. It's everywhere, it's affordable, and it's "fast" enough for them. But when users like Don start throwing around 4K uncompressed video stream in their non-linear editing suites, they will appreciate the smooth, non interrupted delivery available over Thunderbolt interfaces. It doesn't matter if it's a Dell, Lenovo, HP, or Apple.

Having two video cards has restricted my access to the other PCIe slots. There are six slots on the board. The bottom slot is deactivated because I'm using the M.2 SSD port. Each double decker card uses a PCIe x16 slot and covers the only two PCIe x1 slots. That leaves one PCIe x16 slot available and anything in that slot will restrict airflow to the top video card fan. I thought I would be OK with using USB tuners for the HTPC portion, but the USB tuners were terrible. So I bought some PCIe x1 extension cables. I put the ATSC tuner in the one accessible slot and am monitoring heat issues that may come up. I remotely mounted the DVBS2 tuner using the cable. So far it's good :)
X99A2 005.JPG X99A2 006.JPG X99A2 015.JPG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)