New Computer build 2015

You can only get a PCI-e 3.0 4x M.2 on the X99 boards. You cut the speeds on the M.2 in half or more without the x4 port.

I don't know much about M.2 I just saw that the board I looked up supported it. Still not sure how much difference M.2 would make in a HTPC versus a standard SSD but I can see why that would be a negative.

Okay, what about the i7-5820k then? This is still $349 instead of $1000 and I believe it runs on a X99 board.
Amazon product ASIN B00MMLXIKY

Reactions: StevenD
I don't know much about M.2 I just saw that the board I looked up supported it. Still not sure how much difference M.2 would make in a HTPC versus a standard SSD but I can see why that would be a negative.

Okay, what about the i7-5820k then? This is still $349 instead of $1000 and I believe it runs on a X99 board.

Thats what Ive been looking at...the i7-5820K with an Asus or ASRock motherboard, 64GB RAM and the M.2 SSD listed above. I already have case, power supply, video cards, etc. I dont care about ethernet ports either as I will be using 10GbE.

I also don't store anything on my primary workstation...the local storage is just for OS, apps and temp space for video processing and stuff like that.

I have a P4, ASUS P4C800 Deluxe, 3g DDR2, P4 HT CPU 3.0g clocked to 3.3.
It runs Win XP, Win 7, and Ubuntu OSs. Best machine I ever built :) I still use it occasionally.

Changed out the power supply and so far so good on mine. Will let it run for a while and see what happens.
Misery loves company ;) My power supply went TU in my main computer yesterday. I'm jonesing already :( No more Ultra power supplies for me. That makes number three down the tubes and only one more Ultra in the house. Looking at an Antec or maybe a Corsair

I did an autopsy on the old power supply and found something I had never seen before. IC #1 had literally exploded.

Lightning strike nearby?
Oddly enough today is the first day this year we may have lightning. So I'm thinking no mystery, just tired China stuff. It was 5 years old and run hard. Over the past 5 years I have had a few power supplies fail and they have all been the Ultras.
I have a 750i Corsair 80+ Platinum arriving today :)

Well now I get to buy the rest of the computer :(:(:( Power supply failure took out my SSD system drive and the drive controller on the motherboard. The other SSD survived. Fortunately I had done backups recently so I won't lose too much. Not in the mood though.

I have a pile of new and interesting parts here. :) Every thing I need to build my new machine, except the case :( I went with an ASUS X99-A USB3.1 Motherboard, Core i7 5820k cpu, HyperX Predator M.2 (2280) SSD, 32g Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 quad channel kit. Corsair H100i water cooler. :) One nice thing about the MB is the serial port. My current machine doesn't have one and I miss it.

I have a pile of new and interesting parts here. :) Every thing I need to build my new machine, except the case :( I went with an ASUS X99-A USB3.1 Motherboard, Core i7 5820k cpu, HyperX Predator M.2 (2280) SSD, 32g Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 quad channel kit. Corsair H100i water cooler. :) One nice thing about the MB is the serial port. My current machine doesn't have one and I miss it.

That H100 is LOUD! You may want to replace the fans.

That H100 is LOUD! You may want to replace the fans.
I had a feeling I might want to do that, I'll check out the software on that setup and see if it can be controlled a bit. I have a pair of Enermax "bat wing" fans that are quiet on a shelf :) You should see the video at Corsair of their guy putting 40 high performance fans on that radiator. Clocked CPU 4.6g at 100% load cooled to -19°C. I'm like "No way!" During the demo the guys claims several times he can't hear the fans, yeah all 40 of them ;)

Well I can say the H100i is inaudible right now and the CPU is room temp 80° :) fans are spinning less than 1000 rpm. The power supply fan is not needed at the moment and is 0 rpm . So I think I can clock this thing pretty good and still remain cool. I may get away with only two fans on the radiator as I have now. :) I have some more PWM fans coming tomorrow and I will replace the case fans with those as well. I'm running Win 7 and the WEI is 7.9 :) no OC yet.

The ASUSTek X99-A USB 3.1 Mother board is way cool. The Graphical mouse controlled BIOS is full of great options. You can fine tune the cooling system, the power consumption, and OC this one with one click. Runs like a race car when I need it and puts along like a moped when I don't. The Corsair H100i water cooler handles the CPU with no problems. Barely running it at all :) With PWM fans I'm running about 700 rpm on the four case fans and 900 on the CPU fans. Everything below 35°C and the CPU never goes over 31°.

Reactions: StevenD
X99a 022.JPG X99a 006.JPG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts