OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

on the local fox channel, they are saying november 1st if they don't reach a deal they will go off the air too.
They did the same with the disney hd channels, this is getting out of hand.
Companies want more money when times are tuff.

Just as a caveat, before the switch to digital, the Portland maine ABC affilliate had a tower on Mt washington, which DID come in exceptionally clear where i live. Mileage means crap when you have height.

I'll second that. I'm about 20 miles east of Rochester, on top of a drumlin at an elevation of 610 ft. With a rotor and a booster, I get Syracuse (approx 50 miles) and sometimes Buffalo (approx 100 miles). And if Montral's antennas are on top of Mt Royal, that gives them height.

I'll second that. I'm about 20 miles east of Rochester, on top of a drumlin at an elevation of 610 ft. With a rotor and a booster, I get Syracuse (approx 50 miles) and sometimes Buffalo (approx 100 miles). And if Montral's antennas are on top of Mt Royal, that gives them height.
I think the majority of them are, though some of the ids are sherbrooke que. The local cablco still carries 4 of them, but theres one they dont, thats the global affilate which comes in really well here, which is doubly cool since they rebroadcast a lot of fox programming.

http://www.globaltv.com/schedule/index.html?callsign=CKMI

Last edited:
:(
on the local fox channel, they are saying november 1st if they don't reach a deal they will go off the air too.
They did the same with the disney hd channels, this is getting out of hand.
Companies want more money when times are tuff.

I don't see this dispute ending by 11/1. Fox is pulling their channels, not Dish. Fox could keep all channels on while negotiations continue(if they are) but they chose to use bullying and scare tactics to get what they want. Murdoch is just a pain in the ---!

This dispute between FOX and Dish/Cablevision will not end well. FOX is the vanguard and all the other content providers are waiting to see the outcome. If FOX prevails expect ALL the other providers line up with their own outrageous demands.
Subscription TV is going to get really expensive in the not to distant future.

OK, DISH should put all of the CSN Sportsnet, FSN Northwest, Pittsburgh and Mountain in 24 hour glorious HD to rub it in on Nov 1. That can't be more than 8 HD's...
I would personally love it 2 ways from Sunday. Then ask FOX to get their act together. Perhaps have a technical snafu giving everyone Fox Chicago as well just for kicks. Well maybe for the World Series and NFL.

I remember seeing a list of Fox networks that would be affected by the dispute. Can't seem to find it. I'm sure it is somewhere here in these 200 pages, but if someone has it and could post it again, I would appreciate it.

I hope Dish does jump on the Dump All The Fox Bandwagon along with Cablevision. If Fox gets what they want every other broadcaster will be looking for the same thing. I don't even want to think about what my bill would look like if that happened! :eek:

As far as ESPN goes, that is way over priced! If they think they are so valuable, get the money from the advertisers and leave me out of it. I almost never look at ESPN and can live without it.

Oh and Fox, if your looking, you can take your news and business channels and stick that (censured).

NJ State Senator Wants Retrans Impasse Refund - 2010-10-21 14:01:13 | Broadcasting & Cable

New Jersey State Senator Tom Goodwin wants Cablevision to reimburse its customers for the ongoing channel blackouts due to the Fox/Cablevision retransmission consent dispute.
Anytime a provider is forced to remove or removes channels themselves, that provider should be required by law to A) provide "equivalent alterante services that closely match those lost. B) credit subscribers for the lost services.
Perhaps such a federal law would give consumers the leverage they need in such disputes.
Right now, the way of these things is anti-consumer.

I am at the point where I hope that Dish will not cave in (or cablevision). I do not want to see what happens if they give in to the demands just from FOX. It would probably lead to an overall $20-$40 increase in monthly base bills since all the other providers would immediately demand the same increases. Like CBS which has higher prime time ratings... ABC/Disney already has signaled they want more. Perhaps just NBC with poor ratings would only ask for modest rate increases, but no they have a ton of cable channels to leverage.

The way it is headed the lowest priced tiers from DISH/DIRECTV would be $80 and cable around $100. People seem to think that a la carte would raise prices, but what happens if every channel wants a la carte type pricing to start with?

Anytime a provider is forced to remove or removes channels themselves, that provider should be required by law to A) provide "equivalent alterante services that closely match those lost. B) credit subscribers for the lost services.
Perhaps such a federal law would give consumers the leverage they need in such disputes.
Right now, the way of these things is anti-consumer.

I agree with the second part of that, however the first part is way too subjective, kinda hard to decide whats equivalent in any given case. In most cases the refund amounts to a credit rather than an actual refund, In the case of dish, it now amounts to something like 5 bucks for the rsns if you have them and in my case 3 bucks each for fx and natgeo. So by that logic the price of at120+ should drop by 11 bucks? In principal that is the right thing to do, however, by giving away the remaining rsns they effectively nullify the rsn argument.

It would be better if Dish simply gave a $5 credit for all the markets that lost all their RSNs instead of doing the out of market/blacked out RSNs. Perhaps $.25 for FX/NatGeo. It would make a lot of people happy and point out to them the high cost of RSNs.

As far as ESPN goes, that is way over priced! If they think they are so valuable, get the money from the advertisers and leave me out of it. I almost never look at ESPN and can live without it.

Is the price for ESPN just for the main channel or does that cover all the ESPN channels?

Is the price for ESPN just for the main channel or does that cover all the ESPN channels?

Not sure. It probably covers ESPN and ESPN2 as Dish took down the HD feed of ESPNews and put ESPN Classic into the multi-sports pack so those must be separate agreements.

But even at over $4.00 for ESPN for all the channels or the 2 is crazy. How did that get so high? Why wasn't there a dispute over that? Or was there and I just missed it? LOL

You know what makes me laugh about all this sh*t . . . you know who is really really really pissed right now? MLB . . . sure they have their first two rounds on TBS, but now with the World Series on Fox and millions of Cablevision and Dish customers unable to see the games, that drops advertising prices, it drops viewership, etc., etc. . . . I would not be surprised to see a peep soon from MLB if this drags on . . . Fox better watch their ass as MLB has their own channel and may not need Fox Saturday baseball if so many people cannot see it anyways!

You know what makes me laugh about all this sh*t . . . you know who is really really really pissed right now? MLB . . . sure they have their first two rounds on TBS, but now with the World Series on Fox and millions of Cablevision and Dish customers unable to see the games, that drops advertising prices, it drops viewership, etc., etc. . . . I would not be surprised to see a peep soon from MLB if this drags on . . . Fox better watch their ass as MLB has their own channel and may not need Fox Saturday baseball if so many people cannot see it anyways!

I think Fox is already worried about the Series ratings because of having two of the smaller tv markets playing, the networks always fret about the ratings if the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, etc., aren't playing, the viewership goes down. If you aren't a baseball fan most people won't spend much time watching, plus you've got the NFL, NBA, NHL, all going full swing now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)