OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Hard to believe so many members would jump ship on Dish for some channel outage
issues that will be solved shortly. If anyone cannot support Dish for a few days, then perhaps they should leave....

There is more to it than just a few channels for a few days. Even as it stands now, if Dish turns MSG back on; prior to the Oct 1, they did not have the HD Feeds on MSG of the Buffalo Sabres games (our local team), when both Directv and Time Warner does. Why should he have to be such a loyal customer, when it should be Dish working on giving their subs what channels they want and not what channels Dish feels it can offer and make the most profit on.

issues that will be solved shortly. If anyone cannot support Dish for a few days, then perhaps they should leave....

You do know that the ABC/ESPN channels have been off since June right? We're all hoping it's just a matter of days. But lately, that's not the current trend.

What strategy have you guys used that were able to get $5 or $7 per month off? I tried to get them to give that to me and had no luck. They offered the multi-sports pack free for a month, which I thought they already gave to everyone.

I first chatted with customer service with no luck, they basically said hang in there and we are not offering credits. Even with my valid threat to switch to D* as I am truly contemplating. I then called service and asked to cancel, they transferred me to retention. She offered me free Sports Pack and that's it. I said that it would take more than that, I asked service for some sort of credits and they told me no. She said she could give me $5 off for the next 3 months with Sports Pack plus 3 PPV certificates which I accepted for now. Guess I will see how long this takes, I will miss my Sunshine Network in the meantime, no more Jimbo Fisher show to watch!

actually as i guy contemplating a switch i'd like to see a comparison
Having just switched from DirecTV to Dish, I can tell you that the DirecTV DVRs have a lot of nice features that Dish DVRs don't, like:

- Press Rec once to record current program, twice to record series, three times to cancel
- Add any number of bookmarks you like and skip to them by holding the skip buttons. Also skip 15 minutes at a time or to end.
- Press play on a folder to play back group of programs
- Press up arrow to access custom list of 9 favorite channels
- Playback is not interrupted if signal is lost on live tv
- Much more cast and crew and rating info for each program plus instant search of each actor's/director's upcoming shows
- See list of upcoming episodes without searching
- Advanced searches using boolean operators, keywords, etc.
- Full 2 week guide
- Jump directly to a specific date/time in the guide
- If you play back a program currently being recorded and then stop, you can resume playback where you left off. Dish makes you start over every time you stop.
- You can edit a timer while it's recording.
- You can watch your recordings on a PC

There are more, but those are a few off the top of my head. In general, most activities take a lot few button presses to perform. I feel like I have one hand tied behind my back when using my Dish DVR.

The best thing about Dish DVR's IMO is the guide itself. You can show 7 channels and 3 hrs at a time, and the graphics are much sharper and have a nice 3D effect. DirecTV's guide looks very primitive. I also like being able to record 4 things at once on a Dish DVR. DirecTV can only do 2. And Dish's "channels I get" actually works. DirecTV's doesn't.

What is your insider info that it will be solved quickly?

Hard to believe so many members would jump ship on Dish for some channel outage issues that will be solved shortly. If anyone cannot support Dish for a few days, then perhaps they should leave....
I always get a kick out of this... Is TV really that important to some ? :D

What is your insider info that it will be solved quickly?

There is a fundamental difference between this and the Disney dispute. In the case of Disney, the HD feeds were turned off - in the case of FOX both SD and HD feeds were turned off. This means that Fox (FX, etc) has lost x number of subscribers. Advertising rates are based on the number of subscribers who have the chance of seeing those ads. Fox has strong motivations for getting this resolved - Disney not so much.

You are correct, a contract is 2 ways, but your example is NOT what you signed in that contract. You had the option to sign up for several different program packages, to compare to your sidewalk scenario several different levels of cement quality. But when the contractors contract plainly states, which your Dish contract does, that the contractor reserves the right to purchase cement from any supplier and to change cement suppliers at any time and then buys your cement from ABC Cement instead of XXX Cement, no breach of contract has occurred.
Section 1. I. Changes in Services Offered. We may add, delete, rearrange and/or change any and all programming, programming packages and other Services that we offer, as well as the prices and fees related to such programming, programming packages and Services, at any time, including without limitation, during any term commitment period to which you have agreed. If a change affects you, we will notify you of such change and its effective date. In the event that we delete, rearrange or change any programming, programming packages or other Services, we have no obligation to replace or supplement such programming, programming packages or other Services. You are not entitled to any refund because of a deletion, rearrangement or change of any programming, programming packages or other Services.
Sorry, but this isn't FINE print, and unfortunately for the consumer, Dish is fully within the agreed terms of your contract.

This is generally correct, but the law does impose reasonable limits and a contractual term cannot be "unconscionable." If they dropped half of the channels but said you would still have to pay the full price, you would have a case. If you are paying $10 a month for HBO and they drop HBO, I don't think they could force you to keep paying the $10 a month.

I'll jump in here, no refund, but it doesn't say I'd be responsible for cancellation fees.

"You are not entitled to any refund because of a deletion, rearrangement or change of any programming, programming packages or other Services."

I always get a kick out of this... Is TV really that important to some ? :D
Well, if it it isn't, why are so many paying so much money per month to Dish Network? It's not like they are giving it away.

I have certain expectations when I pay my money to Dish, and they are currently not meeting those expectations (contract fine print be damned). I'm not losing any sleep over it, but why shouldn't i be unhappy with Dish?

At least I've got my XBox to help me fill in any shows zapped by this fight..... Pricey option, but it is a way to get through this until they come to their senses.

As for FoxSports and MSG? Couldn't care less..... I'm a Mets and Giants fan and couldn't care about the rest. OK, MAYBE the Devils IF they make the playoffs, but I don't watch any regular season games. I think they play for 6 months to get rid of a 1/3 of the total teams it seems....

FX? Haven't watched it since The Shield went off the air.

I'm more worried about the FOX affiliates on 11/1 (don't know if the New York one is affected, I assume it is since it is owned by the network). If my Giants games get zapped, I'll make do with the Red Zone Channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)