OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

herein lies the problem

people say "i dont mind losing that channel, i dont watch it"

eventually they get around to something you do watch, by then its too late

I can't imagine that Dish and Fox will be ok with no NFL and no World Series. If they lose all those viewers, they are major idiots.

All bickering and bashing aside (I actually see everyone's point)...

Personally, I can tolerate the loss of NATGEO, and my wife can tolerate the loss of FSN. Losing would Fox News would be difficult. But losing my Fox HD LiL? That is the real threat. I can't imagine that DISH could sustain losing an entire network. I am certainly ignorant about all of this, but am I off base in taking for granted that DISH can not and will not let that happen?

Is this really likely to happen? Or is it just posturing?

well, I know it does nothing but I just emailed them and said they better not fu## up and let this happen.
I said bend over and take it or whatever it takes but losing this is not going to blow over for so many.

really they let the channel that has AI, Glee, Nascar and other sports just go poof.
Time for them to eat whatever the damn cost is as this for many is a deal breaker.
Most don't know this war is even going on.

Charlie better look at the things like the current national politics. People are pissed and are not just sitting back and letting things happen. They are voting people out of office left AND right. I'll be voting Charlie out of my house and his DISH off of my roof if he lets this happen.

Last edited:
Sucks... The Dan Patrick Show is going to start airing on the FSN's on Oct. 25th. Was really looking forward to being able to watch the show. Guess it's not going ot happen now. I agree with those of you who say Dish wont let Fox go, but if they do, count me out. Guess I will start comparing prices now for Direct....

Sucks... The Dan Patrick Show is going to start airing on the FSN's on Oct. 25th. Was really looking forward to being able to watch the show. Guess it's not going ot happen now. I agree with those of you who say Dish wont let Fox go, but if they do, count me out. Guess I will start comparing prices now for Direct....

Until this month, E* had my locals and D* did not. According to D*s web site, my locals will be available this month. Now I have a choice so like you I will be looking at prices and options.

GetwhatIpaidfor.com just ran a full page ad in the local paper condeming Dish and offering the Direct, Uverse, and cable options at the bottom. Exactly who is GetwhatIpaidfor.com and what is their stake in this fiasco?

Here is my take on this.

I would rather pay half the price for half the channels! How many channels do we really need (and watch)? 10, maximum 20 - how many channels are we paying for - over 200?

Of course, we would like to have more channels at lower cost but there is certainly a limit of how much we'll be willing to pay.

For example, if DISH agrees on FOX's offer and increase package cost; then most likely I would have to drop from Top 250 to Top 120 or even 60.

So I fully support DISH in their fight against such greedy programmers like FOX.

Cheers.

For example, if DISH agrees on FOX's offer and increase package cost; then most likely I would have to drop from Top 250 to Top 120 or even 60.

So I fully support DISH in their fight against such greedy programmers like FOX.

Cheers.

how do you know this? fox has not released how much its asking for, all we have is dish saying 50% increase. but 50% of what?
5 cents? $5?
fx has grown in popularity. rescue me, soa, and other original programming are putting it on the map. maybe an icrease iw warrented.

if they want to drop channels do we need all the shopping networks?

go here
What Cable Subscribers Pay for Channels They Don't Watch | Peter Kafka | MediaMemo | AllThingsD

the wholesale price of fx in 2009 was @ 42 cents.

Since it is a bundle of channels, the price of each individual channel isn't the issue, it is the price of the package that you should be concerned with. Individual channel prices are a red herring, designed to pull your eyes/wallet away from the whole. You don't think the Fox will let Dish or anyone else split the package up in any way do you?

Since it is a bundle of channels, the price of each individual channel isn't the issue, it is the price of the package that you should be concerned with. Individual channel prices are a red herring, designed to pull your eyes/wallet away from the whole. You don't think the Fox will let Dish or anyone else split the package up in any way do you?

it is already split up
the rsn were part of the sports pack, so the sports pack price would go up to reflect that cost.

lol @ dishnetwork changing my setting on my DVR.

When I hit the "DVR" button, the next immediate menu has been changed. It's all new!
Apparently, they're seeking more money because they list 4 movies for PPV renting. :tux: The movies listed are "Get him Greek", "The Experiment", "Marmaduke", and "Date Night".

Possibly there is a fix?
There was a fix for their scrolling spam on the bottom of the guide.

Anybody know of a fix?

should I cancel DISH?

This is really horrible the "free channels" Dish has added to make up for the FX (NFL Network, NBA TV, ESPN Classic) are channels I already get so shouldn't I get some type of discount?

I've been with them for 10 years and pay like $89 a month, I would love to know if Direct TV has a better deal?

because for some of us, our lives don't revolve around tv shows. Would I miss GLEE if Fox were dropped next month? sure I would, but I wouldn't throw a complete pissy fit about it because my life does not hinge on whether I get to watch this show or that show.

So you are assuming those of us that are upset at dish have our lives revolving around the TV? :rolleyes:

I am one person that is upset and my life doesn't revolve around TV. I really only care to watch sports. When my family watches TV, they have their own preferences that are all different. Hence the packages I pay for so everyone can enjoy the TV.

But if I'm paying for something, I expect it not be taken away unless the price is decreased to reflect this change. I am not going to support Dish in doing what they are doing because the only people losing out right now are Dish customers.

People keep crying that dish should just pay whatever to get channels back up but if Dish had been doing that for the last 10-15 years, then what would you be paying for service compared to now? What would your wait times be when you called it? how long would you have to wait for a service call? How many less HD channels would you have because of less satellites because Dish's money is going towards paying whatever channels what to charge instead of fighting for a better deal.

I don't think people expect Dish to just bend over. But at the end of the day, DISH is the one supplying us the end product. So they should feel obligated to do what it takes to continue providing this service w/o disruption. So instead of waiting until the last minute to come to terms with Fox, they should start the negotiations earlier and iron this sh*t out. But nope.....they don't care if we lose channels. They care about their reputation in negotiations and have now decided to get into childish bashing via TV ads and websites. It is like a f'n election with all this BS.

This is really horrible the "free channels" Dish has added to make up for the FX (NFL Network, NBA TV, ESPN Classic) are channels I already get so shouldn't I get some type of discount?

I've been with them for 10 years and pay like $89 a month, I would love to know if Direct TV has a better deal?
DirecTV costs about the same, even less if you have several DVR's. You'll get your missing channels back, but you'll lose 30 others, including, AMC, BBCA, DIY, ID, Hist Int'l, HLN, TCM, G4, E!, Cooking, etc. Those channels are why I just switched from DirecTV. Also DirecTV now has the worst music channels in the industry, if that matters to you. They recently dumped Sirrius/XM for SonicTap (Sonic Crap), which has the same quality as AM radio.

If DirecTV has the channels you want, and Dish doesn't, then switch. Dish still comes out way ahead as far as my viewing/listening preferences go, so I'm staying put.

Here is my take on this.

I would rather pay half the price for half the channels! How many channels do we really need (and watch)? 10, maximum 20 - how many channels are we paying for - over 200?

Of course, we would like to have more channels at lower cost but there is certainly a limit of how much we'll be willing to pay.

Cheers.

I hate the fact that we are subsidizing these channels that only a very small % of people probably watch.

lol @ dishnetwork changing my setting on my DVR.

When I hit the "DVR" button, the next immediate menu has been changed. It's all new!
Apparently, they're seeking more money because they list 4 movies for PPV renting. :tux: The movies listed are "Get him Greek", "The Experiment", "Marmaduke", and "Date Night".

Possibly there is a fix?
There was a fix for their scrolling spam on the bottom of the guide.

Anybody know of a fix?

No clue what you're talking about. I've got a ViP622 and don't see anything like that. Never heard of their "scrolling spam" either... Am I (thankfully) missing something?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts