OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Yea this was posted on facebook the same day the channels went. The reaction on facebook was very very negative towards dish. I'm sorry to say, but the reaction is warranted. Especially the fact that the company had fair warning.

On my way home from work I heard a radio ad from Fox primarily discussing the dropping of Fox Sports Ohio.

However, one thing I did find odd was they claimed the local Fox affiliate (WJW channel 8) was next. WJW is no longer a Fox owned and operated station, and did not appear on the list of channels on the Fox site regarding the dispute when I typed in my ZIP code.

If Fox playing lying propaganda to scare Dish customers?

This is my issue right now, I got ESPN Gameplan for the college football season, so I'm sort of stuck with dish until the end of the season in that respect, but I also don't want to miss games either.

If I miss a single OU game on Fox because of this whole mess, I'm gone no matter what and would get Direct TV at the end of the year instead.

get ready because the Sooners vs Iowa State is an FSN game in 2 weeks

Uh, by definition any local fox station should be available over the air.. ie for free.. and at least some of the DVRs have an antenna connection.

Threatening to take those away is the most laughable idea to me... yeah sure.. take it away.. watch me change my 2 timers to use the OTA channel instead of the Dish supplied copy. Oh ouch.

Right because you live in the same valley as me that gets almost no over the air reception.

i just had a thought!

dish is giving people stuff for the lost channels
i was ovvered $30, some people got $5month for a year

WHY DOESNT DISH TAKE THAT MONEY AND PAY FOR THE CHANNELS

is that making too much sense?

Or Fox can stop spending money on radio, print, and internet ads encouraging people to switch from Dish so they no longer have to get more money for their channels.

It cuts both ways.

And giving a couple of people big discounts is probably way cheaper than extracting a buck or two more from 14 million customers every month.

"Fewer choices" being emphasized. Seems more and more to me that the big issue is RSN inclusion in the base package (i.e. AT120, that currently does not include RSNs).

Thank you, Charlie, for not giving up and forcing me to help pay outrageous sports salaries by giving me programming options that don't force me to take an expensive RSN I won't watch.

On my way home from work I heard a radio ad from Fox primarily discussing the dropping of Fox Sports Ohio.

However, one thing I did find odd was they claimed the local Fox affiliate (WJW channel 8) was next. WJW is no longer a Fox owned and operated station, and did not appear on the list of channels on the Fox site regarding the dispute when I typed in my ZIP code.

If Fox playing lying propaganda to scare Dish customers?
If what you say is true, then most likely yes. Murdoch didn't get where he is by being honest.

No clue what you're talking about. I've got a ViP622 and don't see anything like that. Never heard of their "scrolling spam" either... Am I (thankfully) missing something?

I call it spam because it does NOTHING for me. I do not look at it, and I do not wish to spend money on it. I want to see my guide, and that is why I pressed Guide.

I'm speaking about the Banner in Guide.
Menu / Installation / TV Enchantments / Enable or Disable Banner in Guide.

Edit:
If you've never seen the Banner In Guide, please take a look at it. I personally think it should never have existed. :removes program from operating system: :p

Am I the only one around here with Chrome looking at a big fat ad which cannot be moved and cannot be dismissed over the right half of Charlie's video?

I do actually pay extra money every month to get all the Fox RSN channels.
I essentially pay dish money for them to set my account to have access to channels they already offer on their satellites... so how is Dish hurting for money in this deal? Because I know I'm not the only one.

I do actually pay extra money every month to get all the Fox RSN channels.
I essentially pay dish money for them to set my account to have access to channels they already offer on their satellites... so how is Dish hurting for money in this deal? Because I know I'm not the only one.

I think it has to do with their having to pass on a lot of that silly price increase to you.

To those reminding us that OTA is an option in the presence of the FOX locals being pulled:

While you'll be able to view and record the FOX affiliate programming via OTA, won't guide data be absent? I thought the channel had to be carried by DISH for the guide data to be present. So, in the absence of guide data, setting timers will be a pain (using your DISH STB, anyway).

I'm probably wrong about this, so someone set me straight.

you will have to set a manual timer to record it ota if dish has to remove your local fox. Dish puts the important special info stuff in the guide on that channel which over writes the actual guide info.

Happened to me a year or so ago, when we lost our local ABC in a dispute.

I'd pay 50% more to continue getting the complete Sports Pack. Would that be like $9 or $10? I'd pay that. not that I'm agreeing with Fox, I'm just saying I value these channels enough that I'd agree to pay a 50% increase just to continue getting them.

I am starting to shift more towards Dish's side in this dispute. Look at all the ad revenue in sports, everything is endorsed and branded. To top it off the RSNs are not commercial free, they have tons of commercials that they know people watch since sports tends to be watched live. Why should it cost anything for RSNs? Instead they are the most expensive channels to carry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)