OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Then what's to keep Fox from doing to Direct and in turn to Cable and Uverse what it is doing to Dish now. If Dish gives in now all the people out there that are "glad" they have one of the other services will be in the same boat as Dish subs when their contracts expire.
And they will, and have, at least other networks have. Last year when LIN Broadcasting was in dispute with Time Warner, they jumped in bed with Dish and DirecTV, telling viewers to switch.

Matt,

The way it works is this... The OOM packages (Center Ice, NBA League Pass, etc.) is a rights fee paid directly to the League this allows Dish to resell the rights to all the games they have access to Out of Market subscribers. This precludes Dish is carrying the regional channels the games air on.

This means if you have a OOM package DISH will be unable to provide games from any RSN they are no longer carrying. If a another RSN is carrying the game then Dish would be able to carry that RSN's feed of the same game.

If I was a Center Ice or other OOM package subscriber, I'd be PISSED, BTW I did have Center ICE the last 2 seasons. NHL Center Ice is in free preview until October 23rd. Be aware the US version of Center Ice is unable to provide any games where both teams are Canadian, So a game in Toronto where they are hosting any other Canadian team will not be available on Center Ice.

John
so if i sign up for league pass if both teams broadcast on fox sports net i will miss the game. But if 1 is fox sports net and other is comcast sportsnet i would get comcast feed?
With this will the still be able to broadcast games in HD?

IMO, these disputes over pricing is not helping anyone. Neither the satellite/cable companies or the networks.
Like most of you out there, I picked Dish over Direct because it met my needs. My family is into "family viewing" more then sports. I'm an old Chicago boy, so I wanted WGN, which Direct doesn't carry. I also felt that Dish had the equipment options I wanted. Finally, Dish fit into my budget for the package I wanted.
Now, after 16 months of service, my monthly bill went up twice. Not by much, but still an increase. Also, I lost 4 Disney HD channels and now FX HD. Now at first this doesn't seem all that big of a deal. Really I'm only upset by the lost of FX, due to their original programming.
My concern is where will it stop? What road is this taking us down? Will Charlie tell the networks to get lost, thus us subs losing HD channels every time contracts come up, or will our rates increase each time till we are force to make a choice between pay TV or OTA?
I don't think anyone really has an answer yet, but the sad part is, that these networks pushing for increase rates are making alot of people take a closer look at OTA. Knowing that you can get HD OTA, and thinking back to how we survived "many moons ago", watching TV without paying monthly fees, starting to look better & better.
Even in this thread there are many post saying how basically most people watch about 15-20 channels and the rest is all crap. So why are we putting up with & paying for the crap? How many times have you, yourself, sat down with the remote and after going through the guide for the 4th time, declare,"There's not S&#t on!"
Don't get me wrong, I love A/V stuff. It's always been my passion. It's fun and exciting, and there's no better feeling then opening a box that has a new piece of equipment in it! A receiver, a DVD player, a 500 mile super duper boost HD/VHF/UHF/AM/FM antenna...it's all great, but maybe it's time to reevaluate where we spend our money. If Fox, Disney, and others think they can just get what they want, maybe we need to show them that they can't.

Ghpr13:confused:
:up:up:up:up:up:up:up:up:up
Agree on all points.

Every now and then I get the urge to watch something off the wall, and thats ok. But with OTA digital people that basically had nothing but the big 4 or 5 before now have 15 possibly 20 channels that didnt exist before the switch costing them nothing. It isnt much of a stretch to think that the networks (esp fox) will want a piece of that.

Last edited:
Matt,

The way it works is this... The OOM packages (Center Ice, NBA League Pass, etc.) is a rights fee paid directly to the League this allows Dish to resell the rights to all the games they have access to Out of Market subscribers. This precludes Dish is carrying the regional channels the games air on.

This means if you have a OOM package DISH will be unable to provide games from any RSN they are no longer carrying. If a another RSN is carrying the game then Dish would be able to carry that RSN's feed of the same game.

If I was a Center Ice or other OOM package subscriber, I'd be PISSED, BTW I did have Center ICE the last 2 seasons. NHL Center Ice is in free preview until October 23rd. Be aware the US version of Center Ice is unable to provide any games where both teams are Canadian, So a game in Toronto where they are hosting any other Canadian team will not be available on Center Ice.

John

So how do some of these OOM packages get feeds from RSNs that Dish doesn't carry? Like TSN, YES, etc....

last the night the call center exploded about the time sons of anarchy was to start and aftewards when people realized their dvr didnt record it.

If Fox playing lying propaganda to scare Dish customers?

I heard a similar ad on the radio last night claiming that Denver would also lose the local Fox affiliate in this dispute.

And yet, Wikipedia says the Denver Fox affiliate is also owned by Oak Hill.

I too feel that this is incredibly disingenuous on Fox's part, as there's no reason to believe that stations that they DO NOT OWN are going to be pulled from Dish.

I'm not even sure that Fox could simply pull Fox programming off their air for just Dish Network, but that's about the worst I could see happening for these affiliates.

But hey, this is News Corp we're talking about.

And lest anybody forget:
http://blogs.ajc.com/radio-tv-talk/...wont-be-the-last/?cxntfid=blogs_radio_tv_talk

Last edited:
What exactly is Dish suppose to do everyone? Ever think that there may be a valid reason for what they are doing? I myself feel that they need to do this in order to keep prices reasonable. The people on here that say that a small price increase is not a big are morons. I don't care if it's nickel increase, subs will complain. As a retailer I hear complaints when customers bills go up dimes or nickels. People do not want increases, it just won't work. Why not just let Dish get this settled and see what happens.

If the channels get removed permanently or there is a price increase then I can justify all the constant bitching a little more.
\You really think Charlie gives a dam about keeping our prices reasonable? He cares about his profit margin. Period. Whatever happens our rates will go up in Feb. I wonder if either Dish or FOX has offered to meet halfway. Nah, that's way too logical.

Okay. Think about it this way...

Fox has 25 stations that were signed to a retransmission agreement for three years. Two years in, Fox sells five of those channels. Those five are still covered under the retransmission agreement. The issue is if Oak Hill still gave Fox the right to negotiate. I am thinking that is what has happened. Oak Hill could have simply given Fox the right to be their agent, with a small percentage going to Fox.

That is pure speculation, but it makes sense.

Long time DishNetwork customer here 120 plus pack one 322 and one 811 (three tvs). Not bound to any contracts

FSN is my favorite channel. Any other channel I could live without. I called Direct today and inquired about there offering. Here's what I found

Online: I see their promotions and packages but they all require a 24 month commitment. (I don't want to be stuck in a commitment if they start losing channels)

They will do a month to month but require I buy the receiver/s.
1 standard receiver is $69 with a montly commitment of $64

In my case I would like a HD receiver thats $99 and 2 standard receivers.

so my cost would be $240 for the receivers and $74 month for a comparable package. Installation is free.

Observation: The monthly cost would increase for me slightly, but I would gain a few channels. I like the 322 receiver with the rf remote but could live with out it.

I hope that Dish resolves the dispute with FOX but I am not afraid to switch and will if I can't watch fsn for very much longer.

Be aware the US version of Center Ice is unable to provide any games where both teams are Canadian, So a game in Toronto where they are hosting any other Canadian team will not be available on Center Ice.

John

I have had CI on Dish for the past several years and I believe all games involving 2 Canadian teams are shown, albeit not in HD. I specifically remember Ottawa vs. Toronto games last year...

As I posted in the other thread I see on the guide that the SD Detroit feed is listes in the center ice package for friday. That would be the fox sports detroit feed.

Okay. Think about it this way...

Fox has 25 stations that were signed to a retransmission agreement for three years. Two years in, Fox sells five of those channels. Those five are still covered under the retransmission agreement. The issue is if Oak Hill still gave Fox the right to negotiate. I am thinking that is what has happened. Oak Hill could have simply given Fox the right to be their agent, with a small percentage going to Fox.

That is pure speculation, but it makes sense.

I would think giving away your right negotiate for your content you are given as an affiliate would be a dumb move.

More logical to me is that the Oak Hill's agreement (probably a legacy agreement from Fox) expires the same day as the O&O channels. But I personally think Oak Hill could (and will) come to an agreement with Dish before FX et.al. come back.

I'm trying to get the truth from WJW, but have not gotten a response yet.

Yes WGN is now in HD on Directv, not a whole lot in HD with the old sydicated shows but with the newer shows moving to syndication more is in HD, with Cubs/Sox and bulls games as well

HD Roberts said:
I would think giving away your right negotiate for your content you are given as an affiliate would be a dumb move.

More logical to me is that the Oak Hill's agreement (probably a legacy agreement from Fox) expires the same day as the O&O channels. But I personally think Oak Hill could (and will) come to an agreement with Dish before FX et.al. come back.
Well, simply take a look at Oak Hill. They are an investment vehicle. They aren't a broadcaster. So they may have simply bought the channels from Fox and signed Fox to an LMA to manage their stations. Add to the fact that Oak Hill would probably get more retransmission money being tied to Fox than they would going alone...

Oak Hill bought eight or nine affiliates from Fox, and a couple of years earlier bought New York Times broadcasting, which was another eight or nine affiliates of various networks. So they've only been in the broadcasting business a short while, and as a non-broadcaster but as an equity investment firm, may have realized that they get more money by aligning.
Everyone that wants to switch to DirecTV better hurry!.You don't want to miss out on DirecTV's next channel takedown due to contract negotiations!.:eek:;):D
The last rumor of a takedown on DirecTV was G4 (I think). The latest rumor regarding Dish Network, who has lost four HD channels by Disney, and the Fox-controlled NatGeo, FX and 16 RSN's now may also lose Fox, the network-owned and Oak Hill-owned stations. Pick your poison! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)