OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

This crap with Fox and Dish.

Time Warner vs. Big Ten Network, then ESPN3, and still fighting with NFL Network.

Good freaking grief.......THE CONSUMER LOSES EVERY TIME.

well Charlie is right on top of things:)

He is on vacation in nepal, according to todays sky reports....

Bob, do you really think that Charlie is sitting in the room on negotiations? How about the head of Direct TV during channel negotiations? How about Time Warner? Comcast? Do the heads of those companies sit in on the negotiations?
I know people, talking to bob is like talking to a cardboard box, but...:rolleyes:

Bob, do you really think that Charlie is sitting in the room on negotiations? How about the head of Direct TV during channel negotiations? How about Time Warner? Comcast? Do the heads of those companies sit in on the negotiations?
I know people, talking to bob is like talking to a cardboard box, but...:rolleyes:
MAYBE THATS THE PROBLEM..Charlie doesn't care anymore

thanks for clearing that up. would both dvrs be accessible to set up recordings from either tv? or would i be 'restricted' to the two tuners per tv as a prev poster stated?

From my readings, it would be two tuners per TV as you can't remotely set the other DVR to record from a different DVR. But I think you can go online and do it.

If I were to change to D* today, I would have to have 3 HDDVRs because of the programs I record, and the very different ones my son records.

2 of them would be on my TV and one on his. MRV would have no value to me.

Dish kind of lucked out this week that Baseball season is over, and Hockey does not start up again till this weekend, if Dish thinks this is bad now, wait till monday morning when customers start cancelling because they missed their hockey game.

But this whole situation is irritating me, from what I have been reading I believe this whole issue is over putting Fox sports in Americas Top120, and Fox is not raising their rates for the channel but would be getting 50% more money from Dish if its included with the Top120 since 50% of Dish customers have Top120.

If FX was the only channel Dish lost, then I would really care less, just like I didn't care when they removed Disney XD, and Lifetime.

The problem is that if this is not resolved, we are going to have the same issue as we do in the New York DMA where customers can't see their Yankee Games. The fact of the matter is that Dish Network can't sell a system in the New York DMA if a customer is a Yankees fan, they have to go with Cable and Directv.

You take away the RSN's and now you have the same problem in a dozen or so more DMA's that are affected by the Fox Sports blackout.

#1 What Fox is trying to do is not right, by forcing customers to watch their programming

#2 I would normally support Dish 100% because I know they are truely fighting Fox on this issue, and want to keep the rates low.

However, we have already had 2 Price increases this year already, and based on what has happened in the past, we probably due for yet another price increase come Febuary 1st 2011.

The last price increase was the worst price increase in the History of DISH Network, when it came to additional receiver outlet fees.

I guess what im saying is that, if Dish didn't raise the prices earlier this year and would have froze them, I would be 100% behind them in this dispute. If its likely the rates will go up again in Febuary, so whats the difference if they pay Fox what they are asking to keep all their customers happy?

I don't know the details of the dispute, and I hope im wrong but this looks like a no win situation for Dish.

If Dish wanted to come smelling like a rose in all of this, they would announce next Febuary that they where not doing a price increase due to their hard negotiation tactics with programmers.

well said...totally agree:)

As an AT120 subscriber I thought I didn't have a say in this fight since I'm not currently losing any channels. But I changed my mind when I saw this quote from Claude:

But this whole situation is irritating me, from what I have been reading I believe this whole issue is over putting Fox sports in Americas Top120

So if this is true then we'll know who flinched if we see our regional FSN in AT120. Then we'll see a higher than normal rate increase soon after.

I really like the AT120 package at the price it is at. If I want my local FSN then I can go to AT120+ for $5.00 more. I don't see Fox's logic except for more revenue from people who don't want their programming. If AT120 has a price increase then I may opt out for OTA, Internet, and Neflix for my programming. I'm supporting Dish in this dispute and hope they win. I also hope that everyone else gets the programming they want at an affordable price.

Programmers need to understand that consumers only have so much money to spend on TV programming. Instead of asking for more money from us maybe they should negotiate better deals with the NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL, NCAA and so forth. And maybe professional teams shouldn't be so quick to offer multi-million dollar deals to players because now everyone will be paying for these big fees even if we don't watch their games.

From my readings, it would be two tuners per TV as you can't remotely set the other DVR to record from a different DVR. But I think you can go online and do it.

If I were to change to D* today, I would have to have 3 HDDVRs because of the programs I record, and the very different ones my son records.

Why not go to the D* forum to find Out more about D* equipment?

Dish kind of lucked out this week that Baseball season is over, and Hockey does not start up again till this weekend, if Dish thinks this is bad now, wait till monday morning when customers start cancelling because they missed their hockey game.

But this whole situation is irritating me, from what I have been reading I believe this whole issue is over putting Fox sports in Americas Top120, and Fox is not raising their rates for the channel but would be getting 50% more money from Dish if its included with the Top120 since 50% of Dish customers have Top120.

If FX was the only channel Dish lost, then I would really care less, just like I didn't care when they removed Disney XD, and Lifetime.

The problem is that if this is not resolved, we are going to have the same issue as we do in the New York DMA where customers can't see their Yankee Games. The fact of the matter is that Dish Network can't sell a system in the New York DMA if a customer is a Yankees fan, they have to go with Cable and Directv.

You take away the RSN's and now you have the same problem in a dozen or so more DMA's that are affected by the Fox Sports blackout.

#1 What Fox is trying to do is not right, by forcing customers to watch their programming

#2 I would normally support Dish 100% because I know they are truely fighting Fox on this issue, and want to keep the rates low.

However, we have already had 2 Price increases this year already, and based on what has happened in the past, we probably due for yet another price increase come Febuary 1st 2011.

The last price increase was the worst price increase in the History of DISH Network, when it came to additional receiver outlet fees.

I guess what im saying is that, if Dish didn't raise the prices earlier this year and would have froze them, I would be 100% behind them in this dispute. If its likely the rates will go up again in Febuary, so whats the difference if they pay Fox what they are asking to keep all their customers happy?

I don't know the details of the dispute, and I hope im wrong but this looks like a no win situation for Dish.

If Dish wanted to come smelling like a rose in all of this, they would announce next Febuary that they where not doing a price increase due to their hard negotiation tactics with programmers.

Good thoughts, but if Fox is trying to force it's programming into 120 then they will try to do the same to each and every provider in turn. That really bugs me that they fell they have a right to force all of us to pay for stuff we don't want.

Good thoughts, but if Fox is trying to force it's programming into 120 then they will try to do the same to each and every provider in turn. That really bugs me that they fell they have a right to force all of us to pay for stuff we don't want.

Most cable companies essentially have one tier. DBS are unique with the multiple tiers. Dish is probably the only company that does not have RSNs in the base tier.

Most cable companies essentially have one tier. DBS are unique with the multiple tiers. Dish is probably the only company that does not have RSNs in the base tier.

Really? I can only look at the one we have locally and they have a plethora of small packages to add to their 'digital basic' to push the bill up nicely.

That's correct. As a new sub, you're looking at $300 up front for 3 DVRs (1st is free, 2nd is $100 to upgrade from a free receiver (IIRC) and 3rd is $200), and $10/month for 2 of them. MRV would be an extra $150 to install and $3/month after that.

D*'s remote access is ok, but nowhere near as good or as fast as Dish's (searches are terrible, grid can't be filtered, etc.). It'll probably be easier to walk into the other room and do your scheduling on the DVR. On the plus side, you can schedule a full 2 weeks out instead of just 10 days.

And don't forget about the 30 HD nationals you're losing by going to D*.

Really? I can only look at the one we have locally and they have a plethora of small packages to add to their 'digital basic' to push the bill up nicely.
:up:up

Same here and the cable co (Suddenlink) doesn't have that great of a selection. There are some areas that have U-verse but spotty areas and doubt they have that many streams. The PQ i keep reading is worse than E*.

The following letter was sent to News Corp CEO, Rupert Murdoch.

Rupert Murdoch
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
News Corporation
1211 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10036-8799

Dear Mr. Murdoch:

October is a fabulous month for sports fans. The professional and college football seasons are heating up, postseason baseball is in full swing and the puck drops on a new NHL season. Fox covers a number of these games through its national broadcasting network and its regional sports networks.

Unfortunately, this October, sports fans are being blindsided, unable to watch their favorite football, baseball and hockey games on television because of contract disputes between your company and satellite and cable carriers. My organization, Sports Fans Coalition, believes that this is unacceptable. We ask that you set sports programming aside and allow fans to see their favorite games.

Sports fans should not be treated like the pigskin in a clash between corporate behemoths. Sports are different from other content. Americans invest millions of dollars into sporting facilities through public financing of stadiums and selected waivers of regulations. The sports leagues benefit from federal antitrust exemptions, including one that allows them to bargain with you for broadcast television carriage of the games. And unlike other programming, sports unite all Americans. After 9/11, Fox’s coverage of the 2001 MLB World Series was vitally important to our healing as a nation.

Because sports are so important to Americans, sports coverage is often used as the primary form of leverage in contract disputes between broadcasters and pay-TV companies. We ask that this October, you not engage in this practice. No doubt many of News Corporation’s own shareholders and employees are sports fans and will themselves be distressed by television blackouts of their favorite teams.

On behalf of sports fans everywhere, I ask that you not allow sports fans to be reduced to a mere negotiating tool. Sports are far more important than that. They are a crucial part of the fabric of our society. Settle your commercial disputes off the field, behind closed doors, but let the games be shown.

Thanks for your consideration,

Brian Frederick
Executive Director
Sports Fans Coalition
Washington, D.C.
(202) 255-9443
Sportsfanscoalition.org

A statement from the American Television Alliance (whoc member include the American Cable Association, AT&T, DIRECTV, Charter Communications, DISH Network, Time Warner Cable, Verizon, Cablevision and many other telecommunications companies.

No Glee for World Series and American Idol Viewers: News Corp.
Threatens FOX Network Blackout on DISH Network, Cablevision in
Retransmission Battles

Washington, D.C. Oct. 6, 2010 – The American Television Alliance released the following statement:

"News Corporation is again holding viewers hostage, threatening to pull its FOX broadcast network from DISH and Cablevision subscribers. There will be no Glee for World Series and American Idol fans if News Corp. deprives viewers of watching these popular shows. To protect consumers from being held hostage during broadcast programming carriage disputes, the federal government must reform the current retransmission consent rules. We urge consumers to contact their Members of Congress and News Corp. to demand that local FOX stations stay on the air during business negotiations."

For more information on the ATVA, visit
http://www.americantelevisionalliance.org/

And another statement this time from the Independent Telephone and Telecommunications Alliance.

CONSUMERS HURT BY CURRENT RETRANMISSION CONSENT RULES

(Washington) The following statement was released today by the Independent Telephone & Telecommunications Alliance (ITTA), and may be attributed to Paul Raak, Vice President of Legislative Affairs:

“The recent disruptions in video programming involving FOX and DISH Network is another example of consumer vulnerability to outdated retransmission rules.
“ITTA has repeatedly urged the Federal Communications Commission and Congress to revisit the retransmission rules in order to ensure that consumers do not lose programming when negotiations between programmers and multichannel video programming distributors (MVPDs) stall or sour. ITTA has recommended in formal FCC comments that Federal rules should establish immediately one or more dispute resolution mechanisms to protect consumers while Congress and the FCC undertake a more compressive review of the retransmission rules.”

# # #

ITTA represents mid-size local exchange companies that provide a broad range of high quality wireline and wireless voice, broadband, Internet, and video telecommunications services to 22 access lines in 44 states.

why is everyone making fox out to be the bad guy?
al they are asking for is what they think thier serice is worth.
its capitalism, and business.
if others are paying that much why shouldnt dish?
if no on pays that much then they will change thier priceing
let the market work it out

if people want it they will talk with thier wallets by leaving dish and going to someone that has it.

if you really want to lower the price talk to the sports leagues
maybe if the rights didnt cost so much they price wouldnt go up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)