OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

The terms are what's being challenged, and if it's determined Dish is being unreasonable then it's certainly not moot. Dish has control by working out a reasonable contract for the content. Now I see why you guys are banging the 'Fox pulled the channels' drum so loudly, so that you can frame Dish as a victim. The customers are the only victims here, who's objectively at fault is a pretty ambiguous gray area due to a distinct lack of facts.
Rubbish. Seems to me all dish has to do is prove they didnt pull the plug and fox did, makes perfect sense as to why they let fox do all the plug pulling.

Rubbish. Seems to me all dish has to do is prove they didnt pull the plug and fox did, makes perfect sense as to why they let fox do all the plug pulling.

How is that rubbish? How do we know that what Fox is asking for is even unreasonable? How do we know that Dish has bothered to make make appropriate compromising offers? Leaning one way or the other is 'rubbish'. If all you can do is tell people they're wrong and then just make up stuff up, you need to get over yourself. All Fox did is not allow their content to be freely distributed while Dish plays it's stubborn card. How reasonable the offers are and who is really responsible is really not able to be determined. I guess you need to feel better about your decision to stick with Dish this is the best route to take?

The terms are what's being challenged, and if it's determined Dish is being unreasonable then it's certainly not moot. Dish has control by working out a reasonable contract for the content. Now I see why you guys are banging the 'Fox pulled the channels' drum so loudly, so that you can frame Dish as a victim. The customers are the only victims here, who's objectively at fault is a pretty ambiguous gray area due to a distinct lack of facts.

I agree with this part of your statement; however I feel that people (including myself) is banging that drum because FOX is the bigger butt head right now that's claiming that the viewer is getting screwed, while they are the ones who made the decision to not make their product available to Dish's and now Cablevision's viewers. I would actually have more sympathy for FOX if they basically said "we feel that we should be granted an increase in rates for our product, so we're sorry but we are making the decision to pull our programming from Dish. Instead we have "get what you paid for". A website that omits the basic fact that FOX made the decision. They paint the picture that Dish is the reason why we can't watch these channels, while it's them who pulled the trigger. Also, the viewer can use their receivers with OTA to pick up their network (should it go dark), and they seem to be quick to convince people to switch without acknowledging this option. (I know that endorsing that method would be counter productive, but might grant more support from subs.)

Last edited:
Now Missouri is trying to get involved, from a quick scan it appears they feel as Dish dropped the channels, I thought I saw the Fox pulled them...

Koster accuses DISH of violating settlement agreement | ksdk.com | St. Louis, MO

http://www.ksdk.com/news/pdfs/dishletter.pdf

What is troubling to me is reading the comments left after the article. It gives you a look into how the average Joe is feeling about this dispute, and it seems odds are against Dish with most just wanting their sports programming. I like to see what these same people will say if Dish pays the Fox increase and then passes it on to these subscribers. After reading the comments, Dish seems to be in a no win situation.
Ghpr13:(

I agree with this part of your statement; however I feel that people (including myself) is banging that drum because FOX is the bigger butt head right now that's claiming that the viewer is getting screwed, while they are the ones who made the decision to not make their product available to Dish's and now Cablevision's viewers. I would actually have more sympathy for FOX if they basically said "we feel that we should be granted an increase in rates for our product, so we're sorry but we are making the decision to pull our programming from Dish. Instead we have "get what you paid for". A website that omits the basic fact that FOX made the decision. They paint the picture that Dish is the reason why we can't watch these channels, while it's them who pulled the trigger. Also, the viewer can use their receivers with OTA to pick up their network (should it go dark), and they seem to be quick to convince people to switch without acknowledging this option. (I know that endorsing that method would be counter productive, but might grant more support from subs.)

I'm trying to be with Dish on this, as well as the Disney dispute, but what is damning to Dish is their argument that they are trying to keep their subscriber's cost low, when they raised the receiver fees earlier this year. It's like them saying, "Do as I say, not as I do."

Ghpr13:(

How is that rubbish? How do we know that what Fox is asking for is even unreasonable? How do we know that Dish has bothered to make make appropriate compromising offers? Leaning one way or the other is 'rubbish'. If all you can do is tell people they're wrong and then just make up stuff up, you need to get over yourself. All Fox did is not allow their content to be freely distributed while Dish plays it's stubborn card. How reasonable the offers are and who is really responsible is really not able to be determined. I guess you need to feel better about your decision to stick with Dish this is the best route to take?

Make stuff up? Hmm I guess fox is not being stubborn asking for for a double digit rate increase at a time when most everyone's income is a lot less disposable.

It's rubbish because some of you refuse to take your head out of the sand and see where this is going. I got a really hard time seeing fox as a victim in any of this.
Not giving was and is the right thing to do here.
And for that matter, how do we even know if fox made a 'reasonable' offer in return?

So I suppose all they did was stare at each other across a table and hurl accusations all day...

Make stuff up? Hmm I guess fox is not being stubborn asking for for a double digit rate increase at a time when most everyone's income is a lot less disposable.

It's rubbish because some of you refuse to take your head out of the sand and see where this is going. I got a really hard time seeing fox as a victim in any of this.
And for that matter, how do we even know if fox made a 'reasonable' offer in return?

So I suppose all they did was stare at each other across a table and hurl accusations all day...

As for me feeling better, I've really nothing to feel better about, since I was more or less set up for other options before any of this.
Wheres all the Charlie bashers?

Double digit rate increase from what?

Double digit rate increase from what?
Exactly. $0.10 to $0.11/mo is a double digit rate increase (10%)

Even if it were worse than Dish is saying and it's $2.50/mo and they're talking about a 50% rate increase -- okay, tack on an extra $1.25/mo, or $15/year -- about the cost of a pizza every year. Is $15/year in savings worth being blacked out of your local sporting events?

When I had AT250 + HD + Platinum I was paying $85/mo. AT120 without platinum should drop that price by $35 -- so roughly $50/mo after taxes for an AT120 sub with HD. So $1.25 on top of $50 is only a 2.5% increase for AT120 subs.

The median US household income is $44,389. A year of AT120/HD service is $600, so that means that 1.35% of the median household income would be going to provide hours upon hours of entertainment. In the grand scheme of things, that's pretty darn cheap.

But the real question is: If Dish cares so much about their subscriber's wallets, why aren't they crediting every single customer for the subscriber fees they haven't been paying FOX this month? They're still sending people bills, and they're not paying FOX, so that money is going somewhere.

Exactly. $0.10 to $0.11/mo is a double digit rate increase (10%)

Even if it were worse than Dish is saying and it's $2.50/mo and they're talking about a 50% rate increase -- okay, tack on an extra $1.25/mo, or $15/year -- about the cost of a pizza every year. Is $15/year in savings worth being blacked out of your local sporting events?

When I had AT250 + HD + Platinum I was paying $85/mo. AT120 without platinum should drop that price by $35 -- so roughly $50/mo after taxes for an AT120 sub with HD. So $1.25 on top of $50 is only a 2.5% increase for AT120 subs.

The median US household income is $44,389. A year of AT120/HD service is $600, so that means that 1.35% of the median household income would be going to provide hours upon hours of entertainment. In the grand scheme of things, that's pretty darn cheap.

But the real question is: If Dish cares so much about their subscriber's wallets, why aren't they crediting every single customer for the subscriber fees they haven't been paying FOX this month? They're still sending people bills, and they're not paying FOX, so that money is going somewhere.

$15/year is just for one channel. Give it to one, and all will be asking for it. If 50 channels demand just $0.10 more a month, that is suddenly $60/year on the backs of subscribers.

And, if you really think Dish gets the channels so cheap, why ask for a refund, as it will only be pennies.

It still goes back to the question I had before...

Dish Network is fuming because they stated they'd see a 50 percent increase. Most, including myself, take that to mean Fox wants FX and the FSN's in AT120, because other services have those channels in their lowest, basic tier.

Dish Network has a valid point that they'd see their payments to Fox increase by 50 percent. Fox has a valid point that no other large carrier has FX and FSN on higher tiers and they want to end the special deal Dish Network has received.

This will not be resolved until one party starts watching their business slide during the dispute. That party would be at a weaker position while bargaining.

It still goes back to the question I had before...

Dish Network is fuming because they stated they'd see a 50 percent increase. Most, including myself, take that to mean Fox wants FX and the FSN's in AT120, because other services have those channels in their lowest, basic tier.

Dish Network has a valid point that they'd see their payments to Fox increase by 50 percent. Fox has a valid point that no other large carrier has FX and FSN on higher tiers and they want to end the special deal Dish Network has received.

This will not be resolved until one party starts watching their business slide during the dispute. That party would be at a weaker position while bargaining.

I think Dish has the power on this one. As far as the RSN's, those customers were already unhappy with Dish, because they weren't in HD all the time. Most of them would be better of with Direct anyway. FX could cause them a problem at some point, but they only have 3 moderately rated programs. It depends on how many of those 3 appeal to women, because the married guys won't want the wife complaining all the time. I think we will see FX move to 120, but keep the RSN's out in the end of this.

I think Dish has the power on this one. As far as the RSN's, those customers were already unhappy with Dish, because they weren't in HD all the time. Most of them would be better of with Direct anyway. FX could cause them a problem at some point, but they only have 3 moderately rated programs. It depends on how many of those 3 appeal to women, because the married guys won't want the wife complaining all the time. I think we will see FX move to 120, but keep the RSN's out in the end of this.

That maybe an excellent proposal. But Fox would also have to agree to never again try and tell Dish Network where they want their programming,unless Dish Network is given the right to tell Fox what programming to produce.;):D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)