OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

That maybe an excellent proposal. But Fox would also have to agree to never again try and tell Dish Network where they want their programming,unless Dish Network is given the right to tell Fox what programming to produce.;):D
The problem is that negotiating for tier placement is industry standard, so unless the belief is that Dish Network should receive another special deal...

Missouri May Sue Dish Over Fox Blackout
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (October 22, 2010) -- The Missouri Attorney General is threatening legal action against Dish Network for not carrying the Fox-owned FX channel, National Geographic Channel and 19 regional sports channels.

Dish was forced to remove the channels on October 1 when it could not reach a new programming pact with Fox to carry them. However, Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster says Dish is now violating customer contracts by not carrying the Fox channels, according to the Southeast Missourian.

"
Essentially, subscribers are paying for the cost of receiving Fox programming when they are not," Koster said in a press release. "Dish Network is being unjustly enriched by engaging in this unfair practice."

Koster said Dish subscribers signed two-year programming contracts thinking that the channels would be available during the entire two years. (Dish and other TV providers often require customers to sign time-based contracts in exchange for cheaper rates on programming and equipment.)

Dish has tried to make up for the loss of the Fox channels by giving customers free access to 19 other HD networks and two sports channels.

But Koster says Dish should allow subscribers that they can cancel their service without a cancellation fee. Additionally, he says, Dish subs should get a refund for the time when they could not watch the Fox channels.

The attorney general says he will give Dish 10 to 14 days to respond before taking any action.
Dish and Fox are reportedly still negotiating a new pact. But the satcaster faces another potential problem on November 1 when its contract to carry Fox's local stations expires.

Missouri May Sue Dish Over Fox Blackout
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (October 22, 2010) -- The Missouri Attorney General is threatening legal action against Dish Network for not carrying the Fox-owned FX channel, National Geographic Channel and 19 regional sports channels.

Dish was forced to remove the channels on October 1 when it could not reach a new programming pact with Fox to carry them. However, Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster says Dish is now violating customer contracts by not carrying the Fox channels, according to the Southeast Missourian.

"
Essentially, subscribers are paying for the cost of receiving Fox programming when they are not," Koster said in a press release. "Dish Network is being unjustly enriched by engaging in this unfair practice."

Koster said Dish subscribers signed two-year programming contracts thinking that the channels would be available during the entire two years. (Dish and other TV providers often require customers to sign time-based contracts in exchange for cheaper rates on programming and equipment.)

Dish has tried to make up for the loss of the Fox channels by giving customers free access to 19 other HD networks and two sports channels.

But Koster says Dish should allow subscribers that they can cancel their service without a cancellation fee. Additionally, he says, Dish subs should get a refund for the time when they could not watch the Fox channels.

The attorney general says he will give Dish 10 to 14 days to respond before taking any action.
Dish and Fox are reportedly still negotiating a new pact. But the satcaster faces another potential problem on November 1 when its contract to carry Fox's local stations expires.

So Missouri's Attorney General hasn't read Dish Network's Customer Service Agreement?, or can't read?.:confused::rolleyes:

The problem is that negotiating for tier placement is industry standard, so unless the belief is that Dish Network should receive another special deal...

Then how is DirecTV starting to offer a new "select" pack that also excludes RSNs? And, as has been pointed out, this is how it has been with Dish since the FSNs were started. Apparently, the deal is not so special.

$15/year is just for one channel. Give it to one, and all will be asking for it. If 50 channels demand just $0.10 more a month, that is suddenly $60/year on the backs of subscribers.

And, if you really think Dish gets the channels so cheap, why ask for a refund, as it will only be pennies.

What he said.
Im not blowing sunshine up dish's butt here, but I wouldnt be here if i thought it was only a few pennies, apparently some of us dont like to read the whole thread.

So, if FOX forces Dish to pull the channels it's buisness, but if Dish forces its customers to honor their contracts, it's illegal? I personally didn't read anywhere in my contract that states Dish is to provide me with FX and Nat Geo. Me's thinks me's smells a laws maker trying to gets mores of the votes. Good Lucks!

Fox is starting to feel the pressure also. No subscriber fees and their advertising rates will fall with their ratings. Everyone loses.

Jim

Cablevision-Fox impasse leads to ratings shortfall
The ongoing carriage dispute between Cablevision and Fox is beginning to hurt the network's ratings, according to this report. The impasse led to huge ratings shortfalls for Fox series "House" and "Glee" in the New York market as well as some falloff for the National League Championship Series between the Philadelphia Phillies and San Francisco Giants.

HDRoberts said:
Then how is DirecTV starting to offer a new "select" pack that also excludes RSNs? And, as has been pointed out, this is how it has been with Dish since the FSNs were started. Apparently, the deal is not so special.
From what I gather, because I cannot get the "select" package, it is not a generally available package. So that is not an apples to apples comparasion.
Jhon69 said:
So Missouri's Attorney General hasn't read Dish Network's Customer Service Agreement?, or can't read?.
Or maybe Missouri's AG read the agreement Dish Network made with the state, and simply figured that Dish Network is in violation of that agreement.

Fox is starting to feel the pressure also. No subscriber fees and their advertising rates will fall with their ratings. Everyone loses.

Jim

Cablevision-Fox impasse leads to ratings shortfall
The ongoing carriage dispute between Cablevision and Fox is beginning to hurt the network's ratings, according to this report. The impasse led to huge ratings shortfalls for Fox series "House" and "Glee" in the New York market as well as some falloff for the National League Championship Series between the Philadelphia Phillies and San Francisco Giants.

And just think, that is from Cablevision only. Many more markets will be impacted with Dish. And November is sweeps.

Fox better be careful, or they could cost themselves more than they stand to gain.

And just think, that is from Cablevision only. Many more markets will be impacted with Dish. And November is sweeps.

Fox better be careful, or they could cost themselves more than they stand to gain.

Hope this stunt bite them hard in the butt. Hope they lose several rating points and advertisers call for refunds. That might just get them to negotiate on my reasonable terms and realize that they are the only game in town.

Or maybe Missouri's AG read the agreement Dish Network made with the state, and simply figured that Dish Network is in violation of that agreement.

Or he doesn't care one bit about the validity of the lawsuit or whether he understands the dispute...the case will never amount to anything, but he gets his name in the papers as a "warrior for the consumer" all at the cost of just a few extra thousands of dollars to the taxpayer.

It's free campaigning for him masquerading as doing his job.

Last edited:
Or he doesn't care one bit about the validity of the lawsuit or whether he understands the dispute...the case will never amount to anything, but he gets his name in the papers as a "warrior for the consumer" all at the cost of just a few extra thousands of dollars to the taxpayer.

Bingo, he doesn't care about anything but keeping his job.

I looked very quickly and what I saw, he's running unopposed ! :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts