OFFICIAL External Storage Information

Yes, hook it up and go with it. Unless you have a Seagate, you should be all right. You are thinking too much. My WD5000AAKS in an exteranl has been FLAWLESS.

I picked up a WDG1U5000N today (yes, a My Book Essential). All my other WD products I own work flawlessly, and have for many years. I expect this will be the case with this one as well.

Funny that you mention that I'm thinking too much... my wife says exactly the same thing. Can't help it... I'm an engineer and architect... it's in my genes... (ok, in my left hemisphere).

deleted by cparker
*after further consideration I am deleting my own post as possibly inappropriate*

Last edited:
If you subscribe to Newegg's e-mail newsletter, they seem to be having a big hard-drive sale. Apparently you have to "click through" the e-mail links to get the pricing though.

cparker,

Yes, I agree... most externals are already formatted using FAT32 these days
(I love your comment: "plug and pray"!).

Thank you for your insight. I will be sure to incorporate your suggestions into my test methods - especially investigation into the 1GB partition (perhaps a dd
dump would be useful?).

I hope to gain a lot of interesting (as you say, juicy) information! It will indeed be interesting to observe at what point data is stored onto that first partition.

It must be nice to be young and computer literate. I'm nearly 60 and was brought up in an age when we had to have erasers on pencils. What is all this about "Partitions", "UUDI", "Partimage", "DD dump" and all that other stuff? I never even heard of such things let alone have a clue what they are. Are you guys making things more complicated than they need to be? It seems to me that based on what E* is selling for $39.99, I should be able to buy an external hard drive, plug it in, follow the on screen directions and it should work. I know nothing is perfect and bugs have to be worked out with any high tech equipment or software and they will be, in time. I simply took the WD My Book from my computer, allowed for the reformat by backing up its contents and simply allowed the 622 to do its thing. All I know is it works like a charm.

shortspark,

Some of us are discussing things are truly geek speak. None of what we are talking about has no bearing on people that just want to plug in an external drive and use it. So, as previously mentioned, just ignore the geek speak.

You are spot on in what you think: buy external hard drive, plug it into the 622, follow on screen instructions and call up DISH and activate the feature paying the one time $39.99 fee and voila - it should work.

What we are trying to understand is how the 622 sets up the external hard drive and its structure. It is mostly out of curiousity for us (well, at least for me it is).

I very much understand the divide in the age groups when it comes to technology. My father also just wants things to work (and I don't blame him, so do I). But, more often than not, when something goes wrong, or, he's having difficulty, he calls me up for tech support (for that matter, so does the majority of my family and in-laws - most of which I'm more than happy to provide assistance). On the flip side of the coin, some of the best computing professionals that I have ever had the pleasure of working with are slightly older than you (they were, and still are, in every way, experts in their particular specialities). Since working with them some 10 years ago, I have worked with maybe five people since that are of the same caliber. The point? Those older professionals thought up and invented the fundamentals of pretty much everything we use today and pretty much take for granted. I have found that things in technology that many younger computing professionals think is new actually was thought up by this select group of people back in the 60's, much of which they successfully proved out using computers that make the average of today's low end computers look like supercomputers.

References for you:
  1. Partitioning
  2. UUID
  3. Parted
  4. DD Dump
In a nutshell: hard drives consist of one or more partitions. Each partition contains a file system. There are many types of file systems. A file system is responsible for the organization of your folders and files. A UUID is simply a unique identifier. Parted (Partimage as you mentioned) is a disk imaging program (think disk backup and restoration). A DD Dump is a Unix (a type of an operating system) that performs low-level data backup and restoration, typically regardless of the underlying device type. A DD Dump is especially useful in computer forensics.

It is my hope that you find some of this explanation at least somewhat useful, as, I firmly believe that it is never too late to learn anything.

By the way: my wife thinks I'm nuts trying to figure this stuff out; she just wants it to work, period.

shortspark,

Some of us are discussing things are truly geek speak. None of what we are talking about has no bearing on people that just want to plug in an external drive and use it. So, as previously mentioned, just ignore the geek speak.

You are spot on in what you think: buy external hard drive, plug it into the 622, follow on screen instructions and call up DISH and activate the feature paying the one time $39.99 fee and voila - it should work.

What we are trying to understand is how the 622 sets up the external hard drive and its structure. It is mostly out of curiousity for us (well, at least for me it is).

I very much understand the divide in the age groups when it comes to technology. My father also just wants things to work (and I don't blame him, so do I). But, more often than not, when something goes wrong, or, he's having difficulty, he calls me up for tech support (for that matter, so does the majority of my family and in-laws - most of which I'm more than happy to provide assistance). On the flip side of the coin, some of the best computing professionals that I have ever had the pleasure of working with are slightly older than you (they were, and still are, in every way, experts in their particular specialities). Since working with them some 10 years ago, I have worked with maybe five people since that are of the same caliber. The point? Those older professionals thought up and invented the fundamentals of pretty much everything we use today and pretty much take for granted. I have found that things in technology that many younger computing professionals think is new actually was thought up by this select group of people back in the 60's, much of which they successfully proved out using computers that make the average of today's low end computers look like supercomputers.

References for you:
  1. Partitioning
  2. UUID
  3. Parted
  4. DD Dump
In a nutshell: hard drives consist of one or more partitions. Each partition contains a file system. There are many types of file systems. A file system is responsible for the organization of your folders and files. A UUID is simply a unique identifier. Parted (Partimage as you mentioned) is a disk imaging program (think disk backup and restoration). A DD Dump is a Unix (a type of an operating system) that performs low-level data backup and restoration, typically regardless of the underlying device type. A DD Dump is especially useful in computer forensics.

It is my hope that you find some of this explanation at least somewhat useful, as, I firmly believe that it is never too late to learn anything.

By the way: my wife thinks I'm nuts trying to figure this stuff out; she just wants it to work, period.

Excellent! Thanks for the information.

shortspark-

I'm 55. :) ... I work in IT at a university and really just enjoy this stuff. Most people use windows and anything related to linux sounds extremely geeky. But that's mostly because you don't recognize the names. Just different names for stuff you may already know about in windows. :)

After playing around with the USB storage feature off-and-on the past few days, besides the ability to archive recordings, the second coolest feature has to be the filesystem size of all recordings is shown after being dumped to external storage. It is easy to see how MPEG4 is making a difference, and it nice to see how much space full-bitrate 1920x1080i (especially OTA) takes up.

After playing around with the USB storage feature off-and-on the past few days, besides the ability to archive recordings, the second coolest feature has to be the filesystem size of all recordings is shown after being dumped to external storage. It is easy to see how MPEG4 is making a difference, and it nice to see how much space full-bitrate 1920x1080i (especially OTA) takes up.
A heck of a difference... the Mpeg 4 movies take up less space than their Dvd counterparts... but I have played with divx for awhile so knew there was savings to be had...

Agree with shortspark; most excellent explanation and giving credit where credit is due. My very minor quibble:
hard drives consist of one or more partitions. Each partition contains a file system.
Partitions are a software construct; software with access to the physical disk can create or delete them, or ignore them altogether. Example: I recently built a file system directly onto an 8TB RAID array. No partition was involved; just mkfs.ext3. ;)

Partitions are a software construct; software with access to the physical disk can create or delete them, or ignore them altogether. Example: I recently built a file system directly onto an 8TB RAID array. No partition was involved; just mkfs.ext3. ;)

Good point, thank you for the gentle correction! :)

We have 3 unnecessary duplicate Forums, and endless duplicate threads on the same subjects.

Given that, why not have a separate thread for "External Storage Technical Investigation" and move all the partition, etc. talk to there?

Then the discussion of installing your external drive can stay here.

We have 3 unnecessary duplicate Forums, and endless duplicate threads on the same subjects.

Given that, why not have a separate thread for "External Storage Technical Investigation" and move all the partition, etc. talk to there?

Then the discussion of installing your external drive can stay here.

I agree. The "geek" talk has taken over this thread and it would be nice if it was in it's own thread.

I bought the Western Digital My Book 750 GB external hardrive specifically for this. So far it works great, with the exception of one thing. The drive does not turn off at al. If I turn of my dvr, the hard drive remains on. This is probably gonna run up my light bill no? The only way I can turn it off right now is to unplug it.

Does anyone have this model, have this same issue? Is there something I can do that will make it shut off when the DVR is off? Otherwise, I guess I just have to leave it unplugged until I want to use it.

Wild/Avs - Ch. 546 - Great PQ

new hd channels listed in guide!!!! (FALSE ALARM)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)