OFFICIAL External Storage Information

My Book Problems my fault

I'm probably the last one to realize this is and maybe the only one with this issue. My Book would work for a while and then not be recognized thus facilitating a full boot up and a long delay before being recognized again.

The problem was that in the other USB slot, I had a notebook cooler running. You are not suppose to run two USB things at once.

Once I removed the cooling fans, it works fine. :music

I also noticed my James Bond Movies take up 12 GB while all the new stuff is at 5-8 GB. I assume the Voom Bond films were at Mpg 2 and the new stuff is Mpg 4 or VC1 far more compressed.

The extra storage feature alone is a big technology edge for Dish over Direct TV.
:up

I'm probably the last one to realize this is and maybe the only one with this issue. My Book would work for a while and then not be recognized thus facilitating a full boot up and a long delay before being recognized again.

The problem was that in the other USB slot, I had a notebook cooler running. You are not suppose to run two USB things at once.

I also noticed my James Bond Movies take up 12 GB while all the new stuff is at 5-8 GB. I assume the Voom Bond films were at Mpg 2 and the new stuff is Mpg 4 or VC1 far more compressed.

The extra storage feature alone is a big technology edge for Dish over Direct TV.

I have a LaCie (Samsung HD), my 622 fan and the external hard drive are connected to the rear usb port, never have I had a recognation problem, only once have I gotten the warning that only one device allowed at a time through usb. But since my recordings are taking so much time to finish, I will buy a 10' usb cable and run the fan off my pc., see if that helps.

Just get an Antec cooler; it has a passthrough dongle to allow you to use both on the same port. Works like a charm with my My Book 500GB.

Any problem burning DVDs from this external device? I mostly would use it for movie storage to burn DVDs at a later date. I then take these with me to watch at work when I am gone for 2 weeks at a time.

Any problem burning DVDs from this external device? I mostly would use it for movie storage to burn DVDs at a later date. I then take these with me to watch at work when I am gone for 2 weeks at a time.

You can't get to them they are encrypted.

If you play the high definition content on the 622 or the 722 you can burn DVD's from the S video (when set to tv1) that will make anamorphic DVD's.

How long?

I just activated the external hard drive with a WD My Book. My first archive went well except for a one hour HD show it took about 35 minutes. Is this normal? Seems to be very slow.
Also, the first few minutes of viewing the archived show I observed a lot of audio cutting in and out. It did correct itself but I hope this is not typical.

I just activated the external hard drive with a WD My Book. My first archive went well except for a one hour HD show it took about 35 minutes. Is this normal? Seems to be very slow.
Also, the first few minutes of viewing the archived show I observed a lot of audio cutting in and out. It did correct itself but I hope this is not typical.

Depends on the program and endcoding (MPEG2 or 4), but 35 minutes for an hour program is in the normal range I have seen.

Wow...I am sorry but I just cannot find the answer to my question even though it must have been covered somewhere in this mega thread...Can one have an unlimited number of hard drives per 622 or 722? For example, could I fill up a 500gig HD then start filling another and another dedicated to the same receiver.

Wow...I am sorry but I just cannot find the answer to my question even though it must have been covered somewhere in this mega thread...Can one have an unlimited number of hard drives per 622 or 722? For example, could I fill up a 500gig HD then start filling another and another dedicated to the same receiver.

Yes, but you can only have one drive connected at a time, support for multiple connected drives may be added later.

NightRyder

Yes, but you can only have one drive connected at a time, support for multiple connected drives may be added later.

NightRyder

Thanks for the answer. Wow this is really good. Pretty much unlimited storage per receiver. Just a simple switch of the USB for now.

I'm currently on cable, using an SA8300HD with an esata external drive, and I'm contemplating going to Dish. With my 8300, it is necessary to completely power down the DVR and external drive to reliably add or remove the drive.

Will the Dish 622 or 722 DVR reliably handle hot swaps of USB2 external drives, assuming there is no current activity to the drive at the time of the swap? That capability would be a very great convenience, especially since Dish allows the use of multiple external drives (one at a time).

I'm currently on cable, using an SA8300HD with an esata external drive, and I'm contemplating going to Dish. With my 8300, it is necessary to completely power down the DVR and external drive to reliably add or remove the drive.

Will the Dish 622 or 722 DVR reliably handle hot swaps of USB2 external drives, assuming there is no current activity to the drive at the time of the swap? That capability would be a very great convenience, especially since Dish allows the use of multiple external drives (one at a time).

Absolutely. I’ve found the best way for me was to use a 4 port USB 2.0 hub and attach 4 separate hard drive enclosures. I selected the Apricorn EZ Bus Desktop enclosures because they had all the attributes I needed. Specifically:

They have a 3.5” very quiet cooling fan.
They use ESATA Hard Drives
There is an ESATA connection in addition to a USB connection
They are stackable
The power button is in the front making powering up/down easy.
They are all aluminum, not plastic
They come in a silver finish that matches my 622.

Set things up like this and all you need to do to switch hard drives is to power one down and power another up. Finally, when/if E* ever gets around to allowing hubs you’re already all set up.

If your interested, the Apricorn enclosures are available at many web vendors. I got mine at newegg.com. I don’t believe in passive cooling enclosures. They will be OK for the short term but heat is the enemy of the hard drive and I want long term reliability.

Absolutely. I’ve found the best way for me was to use a 4 port USB 2.0 hub and attach 4 separate hard drive enclosures. I selected the Apricorn EZ Bus Desktop enclosures because they had all the attributes I needed. Specifically:

They have a 3.5” very quiet cooling fan.
They use ESATA Hard Drives
There is an ESATA connection in addition to a USB connection
They are stackable
The power button is in the front making powering up/down easy.
They are all aluminum, not plastic
They come in a silver finish that matches my 622.

Set things up like this and all you need to do to switch hard drives is to power one down and power another up. Finally, when/if E* ever gets around to allowing hubs you’re already all set up.

If your interested, the Apricorn enclosures are available at many web vendors. I got mine at newegg.com. I don’t believe in passive cooling enclosures. They will be OK for the short term but heat is the enemy of the hard drive and I want long term reliability.

Thanks, Ekilgus.

The hot swap capability is a large plus for me in my consideration of the Dish alternative.

I'm a big Apricorn and Newegg fan, too. I did purchase the Apricorn Xpander drive, which as far as I can tell is identical to the EZ Bus Desktop, except it has the drive already integrated into the unit. I agree with your comments, except that I don't see how the drive would be stackable.

Unfortunately, I suffered 3 power supply failures on the Xpander in the first 4 months of use, and Apricorn kindly offered me the option of another replacement power supply or return for full credit. I took the credit option, which they processed within one business day.

I found that the brick power supply that is used on the Apricorn unit, which supplies +5v and +12v separately to the device, is also used on almost all of the current external cases, and I wanted to avoid it for my replacement unit, so my choices were a bit limited.

I subsequently purchased a Rosewill RX358-BL case from Newegg, along with a WD 500 gb drive. It has most of the attributes of the Apricorn, and it has an 80mm fan, which operates extremely quietly, and the AC adapter provides only raw 12v, so the case itself regulates the voltages. The Rosewill is definitely not stackable, though. I've had it running for about a week, with no problems so far.

Last edited:
I have one

Just get an Antec cooler; it has a passthrough dongle to allow you to use both on the same port. Works like a charm with my My Book 500GB.

THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA. I'M USING ONE FOR MY COMPANY NOTEBOOK WHEN WORKING AT HOME. I ONLY WISH I BOUGHT TWO AS THEY WER HALF PRICE LAST WEEK.

Depends on the program and endcoding (MPEG2 or 4), but 35 minutes for an hour program is in the normal range I have seen.

Yes, I have found that the most efficient way to use the archive process, is to select a bunch of programs to transfer and then set them in transit before I leave the room for the evening. IT takes awhile, usually 4-5 hours and that happens overnight. However, if you need to do it during your prime time, the system allows you to switch to viewing live again. Dish Network really did a great job on this.

I've got myself two more 500 GB (lacie and seageate). My current seageate is about full. The swapping of hard disk works like a charm. Dish really did a good job on it. Now we need to have the sleep mode error fix with the new download and we will be cooking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)