Official Groundhog Day Blizzard Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if it would be wise to just take off the horizontal gutters next winter? That way, no ice/snow can collect and back up.

I don't know. Sometimes it rains a lot in the winter. I don;t know if you want all that water collecting by your foundation. I used to live in a house where the basement flooded and its not pretty.

I just put on a new roof over the summer. It came with an ice barrier product that goes on under the roof made of sheet metal. Hopefully that will help against any water/ice backing up underneath.

As for all the ice damns, that is an inherent issue with Bungalows. Either way, I'm going to look into redoing the insulation in the attics this spring/summer too.

I've got an ice barrier, too. The part that's leaking, however, is where my back porch canopy meets my back door. Right above it is a dormer. So I don't think it's coming from the roof, but sneaking through the siding.

I, too, will have to see about insulation. Hopefully for the walls, they can go in through the outside. Upstairs, though, may be a challenge, given the 1 1/2 story bungalow construction means the upstairs is the attic. Guess because I only sleep up there, I can live with some holes being made.

I wonder if it would be wise to stop using the upstairs shower until the ice melts, or is the steam too insignificant to matter....any contractors around?

Some of the latest models show this as nothing more than a weak disturbance drifting into the Atlantic Ocean. With this path, the coastal cities of the NE could possibly see a little light snow. It's still early and things could change, but I have a gut feeling that the rust-belt cities may be out of the woods.

It would be kinda funny if the NE coast received nothing more than clouds....maybe that would teach accuweather not to over-hype storms 5 days in advance.

Man...you guys were lucky in WV...we didn't get much after Loudon Co./Fairfax, Va...Just an icy/sleety mess in DC...boo!!

Would be great if we saw some real snow around these parts...and, then I could stay home from work and watch Groundhog Day (...one of my favorite flicks!!).

Man...you guys were lucky in WV...we didn't get much after Loudon Co./Fairfax, Va...Just an icy/sleety mess in DC...boo!!

Would be great if we saw some real snow around these parts...and, then I could stay home from work and watch Groundhog Day (...one of my favorite flicks!!).

LUCKY!!! I will give you all this crap around here. LOL :D

A lot of folks in WV do not consider themselves lucky since they will be out of power for around a week.

The ice storm before this one I was without power for two weeks. When it came back on for about half a day it went out for another day. I tried chiseling my cars out of the ice but couldn't.

This thing is looking more and more like a complete dud...The latest models have it going 350+ miles off the coast. As time passes, the models become more accurate. This may be good news for some, and bad news for snow-lovers.

Then the model run after that had it back onshore again. Then the next one had it out to sea again. I think we need new models.

Then the model run after that had it back onshore again. Then the next one had it out to sea again. I think we need new models.

Yeah. The disparity between the different models and the same model on different runs is pretty wild. This is a very tough storm to predict.

You think there wasn't a blizzard? Chesterton, IN, got slammed with over two feet of Lake Effect snow. The band didn't move much, so 15 miles to the east or west hardly got any snow at all.

Attachments

• image006.jpg
    image006.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 78
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts