OFFICIAL Toshiba firmware 1.2 update NOW AVAILABLE!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
teamerickson said:
Since I've done the unoffical update I have not had one lock up or freeze. I think this may have fixed it. YEEEE HAWWWW.
This is so great to hear!!! I have been getting more and more lockups lately. On every second disc from NetFlix.

Ilya said:
This is so great to hear!!! I have been getting more and more lockups lately. On every second disc from NetFlix.

Just finished updating my XA1 - it took about 30 minutes, I think. It's in another room; I checked at 20 minutes & it said 60%, at 1/2 hour the system had shut down. Powered up, went into maintenance & checked; firmware vers. is 1.2/1.9/2.0! Then went & checked my settings - I thought I'd read in the AV forum on the 'unofficial' update that it blew out all personal settings. Nope; everything is there. I have WildBlue satellite internet, max. 1.5 mbps DL speed. So any slowness in DL'ing the update is probably due to bandwith restrictions on the Toshiba site.

As I've said, I've really had almost no problems with my XA1. The well documented problem with Jarhead was the most seriuous - I never could that chapter (10?) to play, but I didn't really like the movie anyway & skipped forward. FMJ Netflix rental froze at the scene where the recruit shoots the Drill Sargent; washing the disc cured it. But, like my XP Pro PC - I have almost no problems with it, but if the official site say "update available", I update! ;) I'll see tonite if I see any improvements / enhancements with the player.

Teamerickson - I sure as heck didn't mean to disparage your decision to update with the 'unofficial' version with my post in that thread. I was just stating my usual cautious approach to updating anything. I'm glad it worked for you, and hope it's clear sailing forward for you. :)

CochiseGuy said:
Teamerickson - I sure as heck didn't mean to disparage your decision to update with the 'unofficial' version with my post in that thread. I was just stating my usual cautious approach to updating anything. I'm glad it worked for you, and hope it's clear sailing forward for you. :)
I understand people's caution. It's a very expensive piece of electronics. I just couldn't wait. I hope Toshiba keeps up the good work.

teamerickson said:
I understand people's caution. It's a very expensive piece of electronics. I just couldn't wait. I hope Toshiba keeps up the good work.

Teamerickson (or anyone else) - Did you do the "Initialize" in the System Maintenance area after updating? I see now in the AVS forum that is what "blows out" all personal settings. Some claim a "softness" in the PQ until one applies the Initialize to the firmware update. In my usual cautious approach, I think I'll try some HD DVD's & evaluate the PQ B4 trying Intialize - it took forever for me to adjust the speaker distance and Db settings to get the right balance of 5.1 analog on my 5.1 surround sound system. :music

How do you down load update w/o eithernet connection?

The official announcement is as follows but does not allow a download to computer to be burned to CD which allows for by passing eithernet connection. Anyone know how to do this?

Firmware Update Information for Owners of Toshiba HD DVD Players: Models HD-XA1, HD-A1, and HD-D1

Firmware Update Version: 1.2

Applicable Models: HD-XA1, HD-A1 and HD-D1.

Overview:
This firmware update addresses certain disc playback and HDMI/DVI related problems identified by Toshiba.

How to obtain and install the firmware update:

If you have broadband internet service you may obtain the firmware update over the internet using the Ethernet port on the back of your HD DVD Player. There are instructions for configuring the Ethernet port on pages 44-45 of the owner's manual. Page 57 of the owner's manual describes how to download the firmware update. Here is an overview of the process:

* Please configure the Ethernet port. You may need to turn on DHCP and DNS. Page 45 of the user manual explains how to do this.
* After you have configured the Ethernet port, follow the directions on page 57 to check for a firmware update.
* If a firmware update is available for your player, it will take about 30 minutes to download and install.
* PLEASE DO NOT TURN OFF THE POWER TO YOUR PLAYER during the update process. Doing so could cause the player to malfunction.
* If no firmware update is available, the player will quickly exit the update process.
* Please refer to your owner's manual for additional details.

If you do not have an Ethernet-based broadband connection for your player or prefer not to use one, you may contact Toshiba Customer Solutions and request that a firmware update disc be sent by mail.

* You can update the firmware using this update disc by following the instructions provided with the disc.
* PLEASE DO NOT TURN OFF THE POWER TO YOUR PLAYER during the update process. Doing so could cause the player to malfunction.

Please note that if you sent Toshiba the Firmware Update Request card included with your player, you will receive an update disc by mail from Toshiba as soon as it becomes available.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q1. The HDMI output does not work or works intermittently with the HDMI or DVI input on my HDTV or monitor. Does the new firmware address that problem?

A1. The firmware update addresses and improves HDMI and DVI connectivity. If you still experience problems, try disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable. Make sure your display input is set to HDMI (or DVI). If your display has more than one HDMI/DVI input, make sure that all connected HDMI/DVI source devices are powered on (even if not in use). If none of these solve the problem, please turn off the TV and the HD DVD player. Check all connections. Disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable. Turn on the TV first and then turn on the HD DVD player. Should you continue to experience problems, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.

Q2. During HD DVD playback I sometimes experience pixelization or block noise. Sometimes playback stops. Sometimes, playback is not smooth. Does the new firmware address these issues?

A2. The firmware update addresses various playability issues. You should also check to be sure that the disk is clean and, if the disc will not operate at all, that you are inserting the disc with the right side up. Should you continue to experience problems, please contact Toshiba Customer Service at (800) 319-6684.

jgantert said:
I can't believe Toshiba needs to mail out CDs. You should be able to download them. Stupid decision.
-John
I guess if you do not have a high-speed connection they don't want you to go through the trouble of downloading the CD, they'd rather mail it to you. ;)

Ok, I am downloading the update right now...

Ok, it's finally done. I am on version 1.2/1.09/2.0P now. And yes, it does seem to fix some lockups!!! Thank you Toshiba!!! :up :up

Here is a quick test I did before and after the update:

I played the Constantin HD DVD which I received today from NetFlix and then I started high-speed fast forward. Sure enough it got stuck around 47th-48th minute into the movie. I then stopped it and tried it again to see if I can reproduce the problem. It locked up again in the same spot.

I tried the exact same procedure after the firmware update - no problems! I think it fixed it!!!

I swear mine was shipped with 1.2/1.09/2.0P already installed. When I tried to download it it said it was already installed. I have had no problems except the DVI incompatibility with my RPTV, but it will be replaced in a year.

Vurbano, I have been reading your posts with great interest. I see that you have been doing a more or less movie by movie review of this unit. Overall what are your impressions. I'm trying to wait this one out a bit longer, because I hope to be moving south soon. I'm using the logic that it's one less thing I will have to move. (yea that will work) (NOT) I paid $880 for my first Betamax and over $600 for my first VHS. Also bought my first DVD for over $600. Only to see the prices drop through the floor or the format disappear completely. I know eventually I will end up buying both formats anyway. The question I have for you is; Is this worth getting now? Thanks

Last edited:
I called Toshiba and ordered a CD. I was told I would get it in 7 to 10 business days -- I'm not sure if I have that kind of patience. What link is everyone using to download this? Is it the unofficial link?

vurbano said:
I swear mine was shipped with 1.2/1.09/2.0P already installed. When I tried to download it it said it was already installed. I have had no problems except the DVI incompatibility with my RPTV, but it will be replaced in a year.

It's quite possible - that's where that whole "unofficial" version started, a guy claimed he received his XA1 back from Toshiba service with the 1.2 firmware version on it, and extracted it to a CD. (Which is one reason I was leary of it - you'd have to be a complete Linux hack to figure out how to 'extract' the firmware.) Anyway, if you recently purchase your player or had it in for service it's completely possible you received it with the new firmware.

I updated my firmware yesterday via ethernet connection. I did NOT "Initialize", which some claim is necessary to correct a perceived "softness" of the PQ after update. An "Initialize" wipes out any customized settings for preferences & audio settings. If anything, the PQ is more clear than before. For comparison I played the Bourne Supremecy HD DVD I'd watched the night before updating.

I am also constantly amazed at the upconversion quality of this player. I watched LOR: Return of the King DVD last night and you have to look real closely to tell it's not HD. :up

What DVI incompatability are you experiencing? I have my XA1 connection to my Sony 57" RP HDTV via the Tosh HDMI cable to DVI adaptor to the TV's DVI input with zero problems. There's supposedly a color conversion error when connecting to DVI that forces the Tosh to use an incorrect RGB palette. I don't see color error - it's still the best PQ I've ever seen on my Sony.:)

Hoopnoop said:
What link is everyone using to download this? Is it the unofficial link?
The official update can be downloaded to the player directly. If you have high-speed Internet connection, just connect the player via Ethernet and follow instructions in the manual. Good luck!

Ilya said:
I guess if you do not have a high-speed connection they don't want you to go through the trouble of downloading the CD, they'd rather mail it to you. ;)

I have high speed FIOS, but there's no ethernet jack in the living room.

-John

rockaway1836 said:
Vurbano, I have been reading your posts with great interest. I see that you have been doing a more or less movie by movie review of this unit. Overall what are your impressions. I'm trying to wait this one out a bit longer, because I hope to be moving south soon. I'm using the logic that it's one less thing I will have to move. (yea that will work) (NOT) I paid $880 for my first Betamax and over $600 for my first VHS. Also bought my first DVD for over $600. Only to see the prices drop through the floor or the format disappear completely. I know eventually I will end up buying both formats anyway. The question I have for you is; Is this worth getting now? Thanks

For me its a keeper, and Im a tightwad who looks for price and value. Just order from VE, the free HD DVDs make it a great deal. Considering what you paid in the past, Im surprised you havent gone for it. And its easy to unload on ebay if you dont want to keep it. When the stock of HD-A1's runs out the price goes way up. My only reservation is that my RPTV isnt doing 1920x1080i so Im not sure exactly how good the HD is on the high end sets. (That will change this year or next though, Onecall has the 50 inch HLS5087w 1080p Sammy DLP for $2199 on preorder and SED technology is supposed to hit at the end of the year with 100,000:1 contrast ratios and cheaper production costs than LCD and DLP). What I do know is, I seem to see the flaws in "crap" pretty quickly on this set. I.e, macroblocking, washed out picture etc. Ive no macroblocking and only washed out colors on poor transfers like Full Metal Jacket, the colors pop if the movie is a good transfer. Seems to take a great bitrate/resolution to make it look great on my set, and Van Helsing on HD DVD is one of the best things Ive seen in a long while. Id guess its as good as OTA HD and better than anything on D*. Frankly if it were not for the series's and boxing on HBOHD and SHOHD, Id cancel them eventually due to this, when enough movies were available. But remember its all in the movie. If you buy the player, buy Van Helsing and watch it first. Thats my advice. (And turn on the remote sound, it assures you that the unit is reading your keypresses. Also I like the 2nd screen skin for the unit)

Disclaimer: Poster is a current Directv HDlite Hostage starving for a drink of real HD.

Last edited:
jgantert said:
I have high speed FIOS, but there's no ethernet jack in the living room.
If you have it in another room, just run a long CAT5 cable - you will only need this for an hour. That's what I did.

Alternatively, you can take the player to the room where you have Ethernet. You don't need HDTV set for the update. Just connect it to a regular TV. Of course you will not be able to read the License Agreement page on a small TV, but who reads it anyway?! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts