Ok How does this work

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Damin69

Original poster
Sep 9, 2013
WI
Ok so if you order a 4 room set up they send you a Hopper and 3 joeys. But if the Hopper only has 3 tuners how can everyone watch something different in every room on a 4 room setup without watching DVR or something that one of the other tuners is watching?

Ok so if you order a 4 room set up they send you a Hopper and 3 joeys. But if the Hopper only has 3 tuners how can everyone watch something different in every room on a 4 room setup without watching DVR or something that one of the other tuners is watching?
Basically you can't. If you need four tuners, then you would need a 2 Hopper/2 Joey system. I think this is the ideal system for 4 TV's that will be used simultaneously.

Ok that is weird cause that is what they were going to do. Until I said that we wanted to go 5 rooms then they added the second Hopper to the order for the install. Heck with 5 setup I almost feel like we need a 3rd hopper.... LOL

Because of all the regular shows we record every week we have a lot of times that we are tying up all recording from 7-10 on one hopper so right now I pushed all the joeys to the second hopper which could end up being an issue down the road. Wow Juggle Juggle...... Be nice if they had a software update that basically would see all 6 tuners from all the Joeys so that if one a tuner is not being tied up by a recording it would be open for one to view. instead of just sharing the 3 on one unit all the time.

You can also change the Hopper you are linked to from the Joeys whole home screen.
Thanks
Took a bit to figure that one out last night. Just would be nice if they had a software setting when they do a whole home thing to have them share all instead of one. Kind of make it a Whole shared system instead a dual system that links between the 2 by manual switch. Maybe it is just wishful thinking since they are already kind of tied together anyway. Do a software update that makes the system look at as one big unit.

Hopefully they will come out with a hopper with more tuners.... 3 tuners even with ptat is not enough to cover a whole home with more than 2 tv's, a second hopper really isn't a very good solution imo.

Another thing they could do to help is to prioritize multiple devices to use the same tuner. Many times we tie up all our tuners because we are watching the same sports game on multiple tv's and each one gets its own tuner unless you specifically join the existing stream.

Yes, join the existing stream that's part of what whole house is, sharing tuners. And for cable channels most all programs are repeated not only the same day but more than once. So for instance Pawn Stars can record at the later time, as could Cold Case Files, etc.... that makes free the prime evening hours for other recordings or to watch live channels.
Adding more tuners is not as good as getting a second Hopper for various reasons, but that has been discussed if you want to do a search or read other threads on it. The problem is it should not be promoted for four rooms. If there was any assemblance of a real CSR other than DIRT, they would suggest a second hopper for four rooms. Anything over two rooms for many who post here probably would mean two hoppers but there are still many couples who don't need more than three tuners for three rooms and especially if you can make use of OTA.

Yes, join the existing stream that's part of what whole house is, sharing tuners. And for cable channels most all programs are repeated not only the same day but more than once. So for instance Pawn Stars can record at the later time, as could Cold Case Files, etc.... that makes free the prime evening hours for other recordings or to watch live channels.
Adding more tuners is not as good as getting a second Hopper for various reasons, but that has been discussed if you want to do a search or read other threads on it. The problem is it should not be promoted for four rooms. If there was any assemblance of a real CSR other than DIRT, they would suggest a second hopper for four rooms. Anything over two rooms for many who post here probably would mean two hoppers but there are still many couples who don't need more than three tuners for three rooms and especially if you can make use of OTA.

What do you mean by make use of the OTA? I am just trying to get this whole house system configured to our Home use Not Dishes Interpretation of my Home use.

LOL Ok digging up looking does me NO good The reason I have dish is the fact I am in an area that I can not get local Channels without putting up a very tall tower..... So the OTA Module will do NO GOOD for me. :-(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)