Ok, Sunday Ticket is over. Can we expect any new HD channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

herdfan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 22, 2004
Cottonwood, AZ
Probably not, but we can always hope.

Would like to see in order:

TNT-HD
Starz-HD
MAX-HD

Just give me that and I will be happy for a year or so.;)

Just for fun, if QVC went HD how long would it take for D* to carry it.:eek:

CPanther95 said:
They can keep TNT - just improve the quality of the ones they have and I'll be happy.

panther ,

after seeing some of these posts....i have to wonder, are there any REAL men left outside of the pittsburgh/buffalo/indy triangle??

he wants directv to use the space on the transponders they use for SUNDAY TICKET.....but guess who would b*tch the most next august when they reverted back to the NFL?? oh god i cant give up my tnt HD and god forbid my old lady cant see OPRAH in hd, ill never get laid again..

un ...freakin..believable.

my wife might do this or that.........................SO?

do ANY of you have ANY testosterone left?

dragon002 said:
panther ,
after seeing some of these posts....i have to wonder, are there any REAL men left outside of the pittsburgh/buffalo/indy triangle??
he wants directv to use the space on the transponders they use for SUNDAY TICKET.....but guess who would b*tch the most next august when they reverted back to the NFL?? oh god i cant give up my tnt HD and god forbid my old lady cant see OPRAH in hd, ill never get laid again..
un ...freakin..believable.
my wife might do this or that.........................SO?
do ANY of you have ANY testosterone left?
Sunday ticket HD is supposedly only going to be mpeg4 next year so thus they can reuse the channels now. Rumor is National Geographic HD and Fox HD (fox channel similiar to UniversalHD) will be announced at CES. Then use the other bandwidth to up picture quality and I would be happy until the new Ka sats go up in 2007.

ADDED:
Only reason i joined Directv was because I left Pittsburgh in 1999 and needed to follow the Steelers on Sunday Ticket!

Scooby
'Here we go Steelers, Here we GO!!!'

Last edited:
scooby, wrong!!!

sunday ticket cant go mpeg 4 ONLY, who told you that??

IF that is true what do they tell the rest of the country that subscribes to the ticket on standard irds,,, we dont want your money after we paid BILLIONS for the rights to air it??

QUIT listening to the DREAMERS on here, nothing is going ALL digital (OR HD until 2008 at the least) and 2009 at the worst.

think before you type.....PLEASE

dragon002 said:
scooby, wrong!!!
sunday ticket cant go mpeg 4 ONLY, who told you that??
IF that is true what do they tell the rest of the country that subscribes to the ticket on standard irds,,, we dont want your money after we paid BILLIONS for the rights to air it??
Agreed.......no way is The Sunday Ticket going Mpeg 4. For a long long time.

I'm guessing he just means Sunday Ticket HD. Obviously the standard definition version will be available in mpeg2 on the pizza dish for years to come.

Last edited:
Pretty easy they start upgrading them first, because sunday ticket subscribers pay the most money usually, and is not a huge group of the subscriber base. For the people with HD recievers none could get the interactive features because those recievers could not support it except for the mpeg 4 h20. i think longhornxp can help out more cause this is definately his area of expertise, not mine, and definately not yours dragon002. I think we might be able to expect MTV-HD because i believe that is do to start Jan. 16, but that is definately just speculation

vinnyv07 said:
Agreed.......no way is The Sunday Ticket going Mpeg 4. For a long long time.

vinny,

i am not saying it wont go mpeg4. BUT they HAVE to keep the other transponders going for the MASSIVE majority of subs who get the ticket on STANDARD IRDS.

for some reason they are all trying to cram this HD/DIGITAL broadcast CRAP down the majorities throats. when the time is right and i pay 25% of what the beta testing guinea pigs paid for an inferior monitor.

but until late 2008 or early 2009 ....GIVE IT A REST.

dragon002 said:
vinny,
i am not saying it wont go mpeg4. BUT they HAVE to keep the other transponders going for the MASSIVE majority of subs who get the ticket on STANDARD IRDS.
for some reason they are all trying to cram this HD/DIGITAL broadcast CRAP down the majorities throats. when the time is right and i pay 25% of what the beta testing guinea pigs paid for an inferior monitor.
but until late 2008 or early 2009 ....GIVE IT A REST.
The rule for ending analog has nothing to do with satellite or cable or anything HD. It deals with local over the air channels _ONLY_. They have to stop broadcasting analog and broadcast in digital in 2009. Digital is not HD.

Please stop with the false statements.

BTW, I think DirecTV there's a lot of ways DirecTV can add HD channels if they think a little outside the box. For instance they could just map the HD DNS to the SD DNS during the hours they're running upconverts and run the HD PPV/RSNs there.

z71tahoe193 said:
Pretty easy they start upgrading them first, because sunday ticket subscribers pay the most money usually, and is not a huge group of the subscriber base. For the people with HD recievers none could get the interactive features because those recievers could not support it except for the mpeg 4 h20. i think longhornxp can help out more cause this is definately his area of expertise, not mine, and definately not yours dragon002. I think we might be able to expect MTV-HD because i believe that is do to start Jan. 16, but that is definately just speculation

z7,

go read some of longhorns posts, they cant upgrade you to MPEG 4 until is ready to be offered in your area. so what do they do in sept 2006 , oh im sorry tulsa, im sorry, buffalo, im sorry boise, we cant sell you the sunday ticket, some girly men want mtv-hd and the missus wants lifetime-hd.. yeah, that will happen.

They very well could, and should, move all HD NFL ST games to MPEG4 by next season. Normal subs won't be affected, only NFL ST subs that are also want the HD portion of the Superfan package. This, of course, is assuming they have reliable HD MPEG4 hardware by then that won't cause subs to resist "upgrading".

dragon002 said:
z7,
go read some of longhorns posts, they cant upgrade you to MPEG 4 until is ready to be offered in your area. so what do they do in sept 2006 , oh im sorry tulsa, im sorry, buffalo, im sorry boise, we cant sell you the sunday ticket, some girly men want mtv-hd and the missus wants lifetime-hd.. yeah, that will happen.

Wrong. I can go to Best Buy right now and buy an H20. MPEG4 is an entirely seperate issue from the AT9 dish upgrade.

CPanther95 said:
They very well could, and should, move all HD NFL ST games to MPEG4 by next season. Normal subs won't be affected, only NFL ST subs that are also want the HD portion of the Superfan package. This, of course, is assuming they have reliable HD MPEG4 hardware by then that won't cause subs to resist "upgrading".
Thank You CPanther95:)

dragon002 said:
z7,

Dragon, they aren't upgrading any subs to MPEG4 unless there's something there for those subs to get (right now, just 12 markets) - there's nothing preventing them from offering upgrades to those NFL ST/Superfan/HD subs before the start of next football season. By then, approx. half of all D* subs will be in MPEG4 HD LIL areas anyway, so it won't be a huge undertaking (well, maybe huge, but not overwhelming).

Just WAG numbers, but if there are 600K HD subs with D* and 1/3 of those subs subscribe to NFL ST & Superfan - that's 200K subs. By June, if they are covering half the subs with their HD LILs in MPEG4 - that's only 100K subs that would need to upgrade to MPEG4 despite having no MPEG4 LILs available.

Last edited:
scooby2 said:
The rule for ending analog has nothing to do with satellite or cable or anything HD. It deals with local over the air channels _ONLY_. They have to stop broadcasting analog and broadcast in digital in 2009. Digital is not HD.

Please stop with the false statements.

scooby, you are correct, and i DOUBT if 2009 will happen.

BUT, if directv or cable receives the signal as digital, as of the law applying in 2009 they MUST pass it on as such

and you are correct as am i, there is NO HD MANDATE OR LAW

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)