Old D* dish

Just wondering ....

I have an old D* dish. Can I change out the LNB, and maybe use it to pickup a E* bird like 61.5?
Depending on your switches and receivers that old D* dish is actually compatible with its existing LNBF, it would however be considered a "legacy" LNBF.

I am in fact using one, LNB and all, to provide Sky Angel service (61.5) for my mother. Works fine with my old 4900 receiver.

Hmmmm...

Interesting. What would I need in order to throw it into the loop? I currently have a Dish500 pointed at 110/119.

(2) 811's
(1) 322

TIA.

It depends on what type of LNBF and/or Switch you may be using, so....

What type of LNBF is on that Dish 500? 1 DP Twin, 2 DP Duals, 1 DP Quad, 1 Legacy Quad, or maybe 1 DPP Twin.

What type of Switch are you using, if any?

It depends on what type of LNBF and/or Switch you may be using, so....

What type of LNBF is on that Dish 500? 1 DP Twin, 2 DP Duals, 1 DP Quad, 1 Legacy Quad, or maybe 1 DPP Twin.

What type of Switch are you using, if any?

Dish 500 pointed at 110/119 w/ 1 DP Quad. No other switches...i.e., DPP44 or DP34, DP21 or the like.

You would need a Dish Pro LNB to be compatible with your DP Quad. The Directv used a Rectangular LNB mount DISH uses a "D" tube mount. Turn the dish sideways and the tube looks like the letter D. A small number of Directv dishes were made with "D" tube mounts by Kaultronics who also made dishes for DISH Network, these are easily compatible with DISH DP LNBs. Other wise you need to modify the rectangular tube to hold the DP LNB at correct focal distance and alignment.

To add 61.5 or another wing dish to your system: Dish 500 with DP Quad, 1 522, 2 811, spare Dish 300 with Legacy LNBF.

(1) Get a DP34 Switch
(2) Feed DP Quad Port 1 to DP34 Input 1
(3) Feed DP Quad Port 2 to DP34 Input 2
(4) Replace Legacy LNBF on Dish 300 with a DP Dual (or Single) LNBF
(5) Feed DP Dual (or Single) to DP34 Input 3
(6) Connect 2 cables from 522 to DP34 Receiver Ports 1 & 2
(7) Connect 1 cable from 1st 811 to DP34 Receiver Port 3
(8) Connect 1 cable from 2nd 811 to DP34 Receiver Port 4

The above will give all 3 receivers/4 tuners access to all 3 satellite locations.
However, if either of the receivers did not need access to the 3rd satellite location, it can remain connected to the DP Quad, but will only receive 119/110 programming.

Also, if you were to use a DPP44 instead of a DP34, you could add a 4th satellite location; but of more value would be the capability to feed a "dual tuner receiver" with only a single cable when using a DPP Separator.

EDIT: Add what Boba said, the D* did not remain in my brain from earlier today.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)