Old Dish customer with new question-help

Jackie Norris

Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
South Carolina
We have had Dish for about 5/6 years and last year we updated our "main" TV with a new DVR box from Dish. Cost over $100.00 and had to renew our contract for 2 years. (dual-for Den and Kitchen). The box in the bedroom is the original box and the front is missing but box works fine with the card they sent me earlier this year. My question... Can I purchase a dual box from Ebay to replace the one in the bedroom? I would like it to be dual so that I can have Dish upstairs and I would like for it to be a DVR also as I am addicted now!!!. Will a dual dvr box work and do I have to pay more than the second box fee that I currently pay? I think I currently pay like 5.99 for the second box in the house. I hope all this makes sense cause I know what I want just don't know how to express it very well...:( Thanks for any help you can give me on this...

Jackie Norris
South Carolina

you can buy duo dvr from ebay.But get R00 # from it and call dish to veryfuy that dvr has no charge on it (clea) before you buy.Add't box run you 5,99 +5.99 dvr fee on it. recomended to be hooket up to phone line.You will need some one to install it.

you can buy duo dvr from ebay.But get R00 # from it and call dish to veryfuy that dvr has no charge on it (clea) before you buy.Add't box run you 5,99 +5.99 dvr fee on it. recomended to be hooket up to phone line.You will need some one to install it.

You don't need anyone to install it if you can hook it up yourself. i have replaced several receiver myself and had them activated without any issues

Jackie call DISH and ask what a "Dishin -it-up" will cost for a 625 DVR. They should quote an installed price that you can accept or use as a basis for comparison on eBay.

You need to look at the main receiver to see if that one has one or two lines. If only one, you could use a DPP Separator to feed both tuners, if only one, you will have to run another coax run to the second receiver for the dual tuner. You would also need to hook the new receiver to the phone line, if you do not, then you will be charged the additional tuner fee. The other fees may be a second dvr fee depending on your current package and the additional tuner fee (which should already be being charged for the current second tv). Make sure the current receiver is removed from your account (sometimes the csr's miss that or they shut off the receiver, but you still get charged for it, it happened to me but I was refunded the charges since it was easily proved).

This has been helpful (since I'm new to these forums), and I'm curious about some of the answers. The HDD fee, is that for ALL HDD sizes or just units with 100GB or less HDD's? Honestly speaking, I find the HDD fees unneeded and regressive in nature, especially since we cannot swap out the drives for larger sizes. Sorry for my naivity or lack of compassion for a company, economy kinda has my brain scrambled.

Thanks for the info, that's helpful. Could you also explain why they have a DVR fee on receivers? Why is it necessary and why do I have to pay for a receiver fee and a DVR fee on each of my units if I OWN them, not lease them. I currently have a PVR 508 on my account and I don't pay a fee for the DVR recording I do (or pay a receiver fee), but then the internal hard drive is only 80-100GB. I'm considering adding a DVR 625 to my account, but with all the stupid fees, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to continue as a customer. If I add this receiver, I've been told I'll incur three fees, one for the DVR and two fees for each tuner inside the DVR 625 receiver. I was told by a CSR that only receivers that have internal hard drives of over 100GB were charged a DVR fee. Help, sounds stupid, but money is money and I'm strapped. Any info would be appreciated.

Because they can . Charlie didn't charge for dvr fees back in 2002 and 03 and then suddenly realized that Directv and Tivo were making fees off of their subs for like 9.99 and 12.99 a month , so he decided to make $5.98 fee PER DVR RECEIVER. IT is pure greed on Charlie's part and he did it to have money for the Tivo fine he had to pay in court costs. Of course before the fees were added, DISH grew subs at a terrific rate due to the fact he advertised NO FEE pvrs -the term for dvr back then. This is something that Charlie should consider doing again in order to add more subs , since he is losing them at a terrific rate for the last 3 quarters and counting.

Thanks for the info, that's helpful. Could you also explain why they have a DVR fee on receivers? Why is it necessary and why do I have to pay for a receiver fee and a DVR fee on each of my units if I OWN them, not lease them.

Does not matter if you own or lease, you are still using a service provided by the receiver. Do you own a car and not lease because you do not pay for gas? You can get around some of the dvr fees however. Have you looked at the AEP package or DVR Advantage?