"Old Joey" wireless??

OhioDon

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
Ohio
I have read on this forum about people who are able to use their Joeys wirelessly. I believe I read that the Joey needs to be "connected" to the internet. How do I accomplish this? I have one Hopper (with an external Sling adapter) and one Joey. I have internet to the Hopper with a USB wi-fi adapter plugged into the Hopper. Would I need an additional wi-fi adapter connected to the Joey? (Yes, I realize this is unsupported.)

Yup. Hook up a wireless adapter and go into the network settings to make sure its working. If it is unscrew the coax on your Joey and watch TV wirelessly. :D

I pulled a USB wireless adapter from a PC and plugged it into the Joey. I got a message something like "This is not an active feature" 1008 (or 1003, I forget). Does this mean the adapter I used was not compatible or another problem?

What it means is what was stated in a previous post - you need to use a specific Netgear adapter. Get it from Dish for a reasonable price, it will work.

I pulled a USB wireless adapter from a PC and plugged it into the Joey. I got a message something like "This is not an active feature" 1008 (or 1003, I forget). Does this mean the adapter I used was not compatible or another problem?

PC or laptop adapters require drivers to operate with Windows or Linux? The Netgear adapter works on its own without the need for drivers? What you need specifically is a Netgear WNDA3100v2. It has to be a version 2, version 1 doesn't work on its own (although it's a splendid adapter for a laptop or something). So you can get it from Dish, Amazon, Newegg, wherever you like?

There are other models out there besides the Netgear one (some people have an anti-Netgear beef), but I haven't bothered keeping up with them because the Netgear one works fine.

These used to be $80 a couple years ago, so this is a steal:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Z0RBXK/?tag=satell01-20

OhioMark ;)

Last edited:
This has been a great experience for me. I took my own advice above and remembered I have one of these dongles? The installer had installed the bedroom cable across the bathroom doorway, which everyone tripped over all the time. So I went in this afternoon, put the dongle in the Joey (yuck, yuck) and viola, instant 5G wireless and no more cable! I now have a way better picture and it appears brighter and clearer than going through an old cable? We are most pleased with this development. :D

Last edited:
This has been a great experience for me. I took my own advice above and remembered I have one of these dongles? The installer had installed the bedroom cable across the bathroom doorway, which everyone tripped over all the time. So I went in this afternoon, put the dongle in the Joey (yuck, yuck) and viola, instant 5G wireless and no more cable! I now have a way better picture and it appears brighter and clearer than going through an old cable? We are most pleased with this development. :D

Good to hear of your success. I am (not so) patiently waiting the arrival of my Netgear WNDA3100 v2 adapter from ebay. Venting: I bought it Tuesday morning with estimated delivery Friday. When I paid, I requested the seller to ship that day if possible. According to the tracking number, he finally shipped it Thursday so I won't get it until Monday. mumble....mumble.....

Yes, I used my Joey with the WNDA3100v2 for a week just to test, the Joey is a but slower to respond and I could only see the Hopper that it was synced with. Aside from that, it works great. Used it to move an extra HD TV to the Living Room (already had one in family room) to watch the Seahawks Kick ass at our SuperBowl party :D

I received the Netgear WNDA3100v2 on Saturday and gave it a try. It "worked", kind of. It was VERY SLOW to respond. Part of the time, the picture was fine but occasionally the picture would become very pixellated that you couldn't watch at all. It also crashed my wireless router (maybe when I disconnected this adapter).

My router is not "N" speed. Do I need an "N" router? (My hopper is connected wirelessly also.) Has anyone else done this with a b/g router?

I used a pair of powerline adapters to connect the Hopper to the Joey. Not wireless, but it works very well.

TP-LINK TL-PA4010KIT AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 500Mbps. Available from Amazon for $40.00.

Can powerline adapters be plugged into a surge protector? I have been under the impression they will not work if plugged into a surge protector.

No. I also use a Powerline adapter with bridging enabled. I have a "N" router which worked OK with the Hopper connected wirelessly. You will get faster speeds with the "N". It will depend on how strong your signal is.

I received the Netgear WNDA3100v2 on Saturday and gave it a try. It "worked", kind of. It was VERY SLOW to respond. Part of the time, the picture was fine but occasionally the picture would become very pixellated that you couldn't watch at all. It also crashed my wireless router (maybe when I disconnected this adapter).

My router is not "N" speed. Do I need an "N" router? (My hopper is connected wirelessly also.) Has anyone else done this with a b/g router?

802.11g could handle the stream in theory, but pretty much anything less than an optimum connection will exhibit problems. Best approach is an N router (or access point) with only N clients.

Best approach is an N router (or access point) with only N clients.
If I have an N router but have other non-N clients (older PCs and laptop) would this slow the whole router to 802.11g and thus negate the benefit of N?

Can powerline adapters be plugged into a surge protector? I have been under the impression they will not work if plugged into a surge protector.
No, the surge protector would filter out the signal riding on the AC. I use them directly into the outlets, or on a basic power strip.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts