Old receivers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

BatteryDude1975

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
Hello, I was cleaning out a closet and found two old receivers from several years back. They are 301 receivers.

What can be done with them? Will Dish take them for a small credit or something? Are they even used anymore?

I might be wrong but I thought that Dish was trying to do away with receivers that would not handle 8PSK modulation, if I am not mistaken, I am not sure if the 301 will handle 8PSK or not.

duh! Im aware of that. My dad has 3 of them 301's in use right now

I'm reiterating what Dish has coming down the pipeline (from Scott)

That was my point, I do not know why Dish would activate a 301 if they are planning to try and phase in 8PSK sooner rather than later.
They probably will go ahead and activate the receivers now, but later on, in a few months I would expect that they would stop activating old equipment that is not capable of doing 8PSK.

Activate the 301 receivers before they phase them out so that you get new receivers in exchange or sell them now while you can. If you need G3 cards for them then just get the warranty and they will ship them to you for free.

"in a few months I would expect" - I wouldn't.
It will take years to stop/swap/replace QPSK type receivers.

I wonder if they plan on phasing them out in a particular order. They could do it by programming package kind of like how they did the card swap. They could convert certain channels over the 8PSK perhaps start with the movie packages or pay per views. It would be the least subscribed channels first then the second fewest subscribed channels. Of course, only those on eastern arc would be effected since all western arc customers already have MPEG-4 equipment. They would all get MPEG-4 equipment making the conversion to MPEG-4 partially complete.

Activate the 301 receivers before they phase them out so that you get new receivers in exchange or sell them now while you can. If you need G3 cards for them then just get the warranty and they will ship them to you for free.

At least we HOPE there will be no cost, or at least, low cost, box exchanges.

And the phase out of 8PSK is discussed elsewhere. Let's just say it's probably going to happen fairly quickly, at least for a LOT of people. Not looking at a very long process. There's a cost to phasing out boxes, but savings to be made in bandwidth. Big savings, esp after completing the move to MPEG-4. But 8PSK gives something like 30%, IIRC. Nothing to sneeze at.

...... Of course, only those on eastern arc would be effected since all western arc customers already have MPEG-4 equipment. They would all get MPEG-4 equipment making the conversion to MPEG-4 partially complete.

Isn't that backwards? EA is all MPEG-4. WA is the one with mixed equipment.

I assume that the ultimate goal is to have the Western Arc eventually converted to MPEG-4 however, THAT is probably years off. I figure that it is easier to convert to 8PSK for right now to recover some bandwidth.

Isn't that backwards? EA is all MPEG-4. WA is the one with mixed equipment.

I got it backwards.

If they start charging people for a forced upgrade of their existing equipment then I can see a lot of people switching to Directv. Directv might even take advantage of that. Dish Network knows better than that. They will have to do it for free or lose their customers.

Was gonna say

I got it backwards.

If they start charging people for a forced upgrade of their existing equipment then I can see a lot of people switching to Directv. Directv might even take advantage of that. Dish Network knows better than that. They will have to do it for free or lose their customers.

I was gonna ask you if it was back wards myself but thought maybe you were just talking about only 8PSK. So I didn't send the message. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)