Old receivers?

"in a few months I would expect" - I wouldn't.
It will take years to stop/swap/replace QPSK type receivers.

Actually, it is the MPEG 4 transition that will take a few years, but not the 8PSK. Scott, has been told (according to one of his posts) that Dish wants the 8PSK to be completed by early 2010. Scott indicated that his source said that Dish is really eager for this transition to happen and happen in the most expeditious manner.

So, right now, I believe one can still activate a 301. Down the line, Dish will probably (my personal belief) provide a free swap-out of the old QPSK's for 8PSK's.

PM = Private message. You just click on someone's name in the post screen and select 'Send private message to so-and-so'.

:D = cheesy smile and don't think you'd really want to give it away (though they are only going for about $40-80 on ebay if they sell).

You could try craigslist since it doesn't cost anything to post it.

Dish better settle TiVo case or they will have no money for such swap.

Actually, Dish will still have plenty of cash left over. Even if it all costs a billion dollars, Dish will be OK. However, the really bad thing if Dish loses, is that, at least for the short term, DVR fees will go up to meet Tivo's monthly charge demands as I can't imagine Charlie NOT passing along the cost to subscribers.

However, should Dish lose, I wouldn't put it past old Charles to immediately start the process of STB swap-outs (to MPEG 4 boxes) just to eventually, a few years down the road, no longer have to pay Tivo its fees because if Dish loses, Charlie will do all he can to deny Tivo his money.

Well, we are talking about Dish $300M cache reserve ( by official reports ), so the $1B fine will bring Dish in doggy style position. As to license fee, according court papers it could be just $1.25 per month per DVR. Plus remember how much money Dish accrued by ridiculous the DVR fee $5..7 per DVR per month starting from year 2001 or 2000.
I would be glad to see the real DVR (TiVo license ) fee as $1.25/month. :)

Does anyone really believe Dish/Echostar is ever going to be required to pay $1B? Really?

Well, we are talking about Dish $300M cache reserve ( by official reports ), so the $1B fine will bring Dish in doggy style position.

FORM 10-Q

e10vq

Dish has $112.8 million in cash $1.2 BILLION in marketable securities.
Echostar $63.4 million in cash $886.7 million in marketable securities.

They could slide in a billion dollar payment if they had to, they have been building up cash and securities for a while.

But of course with $2.2 billion sitting around, one can see them fighting to the end to hold on to it.

FORM 10-Q

e10vq

Dish has $112.8 million in cash $1.2 BILLION in marketable securities.
Echostar $63.4 million in cash $886.7 million in marketable securities.

They could slide in a billion dollar payment if they had to, they have been building up cash and securities for a while.

But of course with $2.2 billion sitting around, one can see them fighting to the end to hold on to it.

THANK YOU! This is exactly what Charlie meant when he said a few years ago, "A few years ago, if we were to have made a million dollar mistake, we would have been out of business. Today, If we make a billion dollar mistake, we'll be OK."

Does anyone really believe Dish/Echostar is ever going to be required to pay $1B? Really?

Of course not. It's just that there are some people on this board who think that if Dish ultimately loses the Tivo lawsuit, that somehow Dish would be terribly financially wounded, perhaps even going out of business, and that is certainly not the case should Dish ultimately lose.

Well, we are talking about Dish $300M cache reserve ( by official reports ), so the $1B fine will bring Dish in doggy style position. As to license fee, according court papers it could be just $1.25 per month per DVR. Plus remember how much money Dish accrued by ridiculous the DVR fee $5..7 per DVR per month starting from year 2001 or 2000.
I would be glad to see the real DVR (TiVo license ) fee as $1.25/month. :)

No, billion dollar payout NOT putting Dish out of existence is NOT doggy style position. An earlier post explains why.

Second, even if Dish were to face a 1 billion dollar judgment of some kind (not likely in the Tivo case), such ultimate award would not have to be in full at one time, but spread out over time with payments, all approved by the court.

Third, the $1.25 per month figure is what the judge is using to calculate Tivo's supposed losses. If this case ends with Dish ultimately losing, then Dish would have to negotiate with Tivo for the monthly charge per customer. That rate could be anything the sides agree upon (TiVo dictates), or Dish will have to shut down DVR functionality. Should TiVo ultimately prevail, they will have all the leverage, and will seek more--much more-- than $1.25 per month from Dish, even as much as $5 per month, passed on to us. That would put Dish's DVR fee about equal to some cable co's., especially the upgrades to Moxie or TiVo, but still under Fios's high-end $19.95 per month for its best DVR, leaving Direct with the lowest DVR fee.

As for the supposed "real" DVR: none of the jurors for this case interviewed by the press could ever articulate a technical reason nor say that the technical evidence, such as the computer code that none of them know how to read, led them to conclude that Dish violated TiVo's patents. Instead, they all cited the fact the TiVo knowingly left one of their DVR's with Echostar to allow Dish to use and review it--a strange move by a company supposedly aggressive in protecting its patents--like a sample product. While it is true that Dish never returned the TiVo DVR, and claims they were never able locate it after some time passed, it is also a troubling fact that TiVo, notorious for vigorously protecting it patents and products, never asked for their DVR back, nor inquired as to what Dish had done with it, either. Can one see the method to TiVo's supposed madness? TiVo knew what it was doing, all along. Dish's only stupid mistake was allowing TiVo to leave it behind after their meeting, but at that time, one could imagine, both parties were all smiles then. Jurors cited this "DVR left at Echostar" fact as their prime evidence that Dish is in violation of TiVo's patents.

Furthermore, TiVo is the master of marketing. They have even have you believing that they really did invent the DVR when, in fact, RePlay TV was first, with TiVo and Dish Network's old DishPlayer 7000--using software by Microsoft--all having come to market about the same time. So, there are 3 inventors of the DVR.

Last edited:
You're slipping out of facts - TiVo hold the patent and 5 of 5 experts did acknowledge the fact of using patented technology by dish.
There a long thread at other site where two persons very thoroughly defend both side and dissect each word of the judge, TiVo and dish.
As to your attempt to bring the "DVR left at echo", I wouldn't bank on it - there are many TiVo out there - open them, do reverse engineering ( tivocommunity hello !).

May I ask you to estimate an amount of money what dish milked from DVR owners starting year 2000 ( from DVR510) ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)