Old TV - No cable - Want to watch some free channels

intelguru

Apr 6, 2011
jacksonville fl
Hi

I have old TV and i had comcast basic cable at old place but i moved to new place and now i dont have any cable from any provider. I checked on antennaweb and i have strong UHF. If i want to watch some free channels over the air, what should i do? which antenna to buy? need to buy anything else?

Thanks in advance.

hd fan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 1, 2009
Ontario
Well, without a simple welcome I guess the man in the sunny florida would rather enjoy the outdoors than this forum , no?.

for Old TV you need to buy/get a converter box , usually cost 50 USD and in USA there was a coupon program to buy those at a discounted value . not sure if the program still runs. It is an ATSC converter box. Unlike basic cable or digital cable you also need to use some sort of antenna designed for the band of frecuencies your local digital TV stations use. On most cities they are only in UHF band but no idea if in Jacksonville there is at least 1 channel on VHF. The antenna could be either outdoor or indoor depending if you live closeby or far way from the TV Transmitter towers. You also need some sort of couch or confortable seat to enjoy your new digital tv programming (la madre del que vea la TV de pie), lol, but we all new that already , lol.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

zamar23

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 5, 2009
Mid West
intelguru

Check TVFool to see what stations you can get and their frequencies. Then decide on antenna model proven to receive most or all of them in your area. ATSC devoted forum discussing local reception in your area may help. If you don't have a chair, a sofa may do the job. :)

jayn_j

Press On Regardless
Supporting Founder
Sep 29, 2003
Sheboygan, WI
everybody is talking antennas, but if the set is more than 4-5 years old, you will definitely need an ATSC converter box at $40-50. Try WalMart or BestBuy

Larobpra

Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 13, 2008
North of "Upstate NY"
everybody is talking antennas, but if the set is more than 4-5 years old, you will definitely need an ATSC converter box at $40-50. Try WalMart or BestBuy
Or you could try your local craigslist or Freecycle. As people upgrade their TV's they no longer need a converter box. I put out a request on Freecycle and had one within a week. You might find an antenna that way too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)