Old Wing Dish customer's HD PQ ..........

What do you think about the 72.5 HD and SD PQ vs 110/119?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hemi 6.1

On Vacation
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Wayne County,Pa
So now that most have had ample time to have their 110,119,61.5 systems,converted to the 1000.4 .

Do you think the HD PQ on the 72.5 is as good as the 110?
Do you think the PQ in general is better on the 72.5 then the 110 and 119?

I'm going to say NOT AT ALL.
I think the 110 PQ is better then the 72.5, Why do you ask, well Motion blu, is slight, some slight microblocking, and just over all not as vivid as I feel the 61.5 or the 110 is. And Supposedly the 61.5 is the one dying.:eek:
Never noticed this in 2 years of using the 110

SD picture Quality is Good, But there is a slight shutter that was never present again in 2 years with the old setup, And again its only on the 72.5.
I still maintain SD PQ is No better using eastern arc,vs 110/119.

I attempted to upgrade to the 1000.4 dish yesterday. After being told that I had to pay $15 for the 'privilege' of being able to view the new HD channels that I already pay for every month, I asked to speak with a supervisor, who's name was Gina. She told me that even if they wanted to, they could not get me the new programming due to my geographical location. Gina told me that neither 72.7 or the 129 slot would work due to LOS issues. I do not know if that is true or not. I live in Niagara Falls NY, I find it hard to believe that I am 'in the black', as she put it. She told me that dish is working on the issue and hope to have it resolved "soon", we all know what that means. Gina is supposed to get back to me with a projected time at some point today, but I won't hold my breath.

Sorry for the long-winded answer to your question. I am not able to be upgraded.

There's a number of us in the WNY area who are having the same problem - Dish is utterly incompetent and basically not giving us any options.

You won't be able to see 129 with good signal strength from here but 72.7 would be fine. However, for some reason Dish does not seem to want to do EA installs around here.

I'm about to the point of cancellation over this.

Gina gave me a $10 credit!!!!

Wow, thanks, still can't see all the channels that I am paying for.

Charlie really seems to have his head up his ass lately. I am an eleven year subscriber, but I am seriously thinking of switching when my current contract is up.

Last edited:
I have had both western arc 1000.2 and eastern arc 1000.4 dishes setup and working side by side on poles out in my back yard. I compared the picture quality on several SD channels to see what looked better.

I compared pq on the Game show network channel 116 using Match Game as my source on eastern arc and recorded it , then did the same on western arc. They show three episodes a day . On Western arc the picture had mass pixelation , macro blocking and generally looked like crap. On eastern arc it looked clean with no noisy backgrounds full of pixelation or macro blocking . The show from 1980 looked like it was filmed today , it was so clear.

I also compared the We channel using Golden Girls and Halmark channel( sd version) using the same show as a source and recorded it. They both show it daily. No contest again . Eastern arc looked better. My wife could see it too. I used to not watch sd channel much when I had western arc. Now we watch several of the sd channels , because we can watch it without cringing, like we did with western arc.

Now HD channels look fine either way since they are always mpeg 4 anyway. I see no picture differences at all using 61.5 ,72.7 or 110 or 129 even. They all look fine to me .

I used my 42 " REGZA Toshiba hdtv to test both arcs. I have two coax runs to three rooms in my house , so If I want I can switch to either western arc or stay with eastern arc.

That good to know since I am considering downgrading to the family pack to get the Hallmark channel, and I was wondering if the SD picture quality would be better on EA with meg 4. Can not afford Dish other packs that would include that channel

I had the same experience as MikeD-C05 -- I swapped a 1000.2 for a 1000.4 for better line of sight (tree interference) last year and I notice absolutely no difference in HD, but a marginal increase in SD quality. It's not a *huge* improvement, but I'd still say it's an improvement nonetheless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts