Older TIVO units having to reset?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kurkus

Original poster
May 26, 2009
Lansing, Michigan
I have older TIVO units and find that every one has to reset every couple of days because they have locked up...

Sometimes they do it all at the same time (Making me think Directv is sending some signal that kills them)

Do others using the older units experience the same thing?

Replacing TIVO Hard Drives

Has anyone replaced their Hard Drives of their TIVO units?

How hard is it and what problems does one have to work around to accomplish the trade?

thanks

No, they work fine.
a lockup is usually an indication the hard drive is failing...

I thnk your confused about what kind of unit I am asking about

I am interested in changing hard drives on my TIVO Directv units, NOT TIVO units

The TIVO community wouldnt be the right place to ask the question I asked

thanks anyways

Last edited:
I thnk your confused about what kind of unit I am asking about

I am interested in changing hard drives on my TIVO Directv units, NOT TIVO units

The TIVO community wouldnt be the right place to ask the question I asked

thanks anyways

Are you talking about the SD TiVos? Or the HRs?

Rich

they are HR units, record 40 and 80 hours of TV time but use the TIVO operating system and menus

Now I'm really confused. As far as I know none of D*'s HR series of DVRs uses a TiVo operating system. The HRs started off with the HR20-700 and the last model introduced is the HR24-100. Which model number are you talking about?

Rich

Changing the hard drive on your dvr is not worth it, especially if it's a leased unit. You could be charged by D* for opening the unit when it is sent back to them.

If your hr is resetting, it could be your hd is failing. Call D* and tell them the receiver didn't power on. They will send you a replacement receiver. If you have the protection plan, replacing it won't cost you. If not, you will be charged $20 for shipping.

You might be able to get it repaired at weaknees.com (not loading this morning)

Other than that you will need the software for the tivo hard drive if you replace it. I did mine with the correct instantcake package from
DVRUPGRADE.com

The HR10-250 was a DirecTV TiVo but doesn't work with the new HD. It's still good for OTA as it has an ATSC tuner.
So to swap the hard rive, the poster should go over to the TiVo Community forum for accurate info.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)