DirecTV HD rcvr alternative

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

stonoguy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
I called DirecTV to inquire about swapping a SD receiver to an HD receiver. They informed me that there would be a manatory 2 year extension if I, indeed, did this.
This seems ludicrous to me as I already have the HD satellite and HD receiver/recorder on my den TV. I have a HD tv in the bedroom with a SD receiver. I just want to upgrade to a standard, no frills HD receiver. Are there any HD receivers produced that I could purchase to avoid this ridiculous 2 year extension. Would there be any problems having an "independant" receiver activated by DirecTV? I have still have less than a year on the original agreement...I don't want to extend the agreement any longer than I have to. There have been "improvements" since I signed on to this service. I don't want to be strapped down 2 more years. The service has been great but alot can happen in 2 years...physically and technically!

I called DirecTV to inquire about swapping a SD receiver to an HD receiver. They informed me that there would be a manatory 2 year extension if I, indeed, did this.
This seems ludicrous to me as I already have the HD satellite and HD receiver/recorder on my den TV. I have a HD tv in the bedroom with a SD receiver. I just want to upgrade to a standard, no frills HD receiver. Are there any HD receivers produced that I could purchase to avoid this ridiculous 2 year extension. Would there be any problems having an "independant" receiver activated by DirecTV? I have still have less than a year on the original agreement...I don't want to extend the agreement any longer than I have to. There have been "improvements" since I signed on to this service. I don't want to be strapped down 2 more years. The service has been great but alot can happen in 2 years...physically and technically!

Upgrading your equipment will result in a two year commitment. The only way out of that is to actually buy the box, but that is usually expensive. Also, if your area has only mpeg4 locals, then you could get an hd box with no commitment. If you aren't going anywhere for the next two years, it really doesn't change anything, but I do understand your mindset.

I recently "leased" a H25 from eBay for $89.00 & free shipping. I also extended my contract another 2 years. I have no problems with that. The worse I can see occurring in the 2 year time frame is death,natural disaster,&/or unemployment(& possible loss of home),in which case DIRECTV would be the least of my problems.

Those are the terms. You have been given accurate information.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)